Install questions

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
So I got a mcleod rxt twin disc and had some questions.

First off why should I install the adj clutch pivot ball? The stock one I have is new.

I also could not find any install how to threads in the "how to" forum so I'm looking for some pointers and things I need to check. I've installed tons of regular clutches but never a twin disc.

Thanks

Brian

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i used the stock pivot ball and it worked fine. seems like some work and others dont.

iirc the install instructions are available on mcleod website, but it was pretty straight forward. i know you have to make sure both discs spin freely before cinching down the pp

vadorsnake04

Established Member
The few McLeod rxt installs I've been around. All you have to do is remove 1/8" of material from the back side of the nut part by the threads so it goes further into the transmission. If you look in my build thread you will see. It's perfect after that.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
The few McLeod rxt installs I've been around. All you have to do is remove 1/8" of material from the back side of the nut part by the threads so it goes further into the transmission. If you look in my build thread you will see. It's perfect after that.

Well most people do not have a lathe to cut the nut down like you did. I purchased the adjustable one from mcleod already. Just need to get the proper measurement.

I also using a spec billet steel flywheel and not mcleods. So the stock one may work for me....

I've heard of stock ones working

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i used the stock pivot ball and it worked fine. seems like some work and others dont.

iirc the install instructions are available on mcleod website, but it was pretty straight forward. i know you have to make sure both discs spin freely before cinching down the pp

What flywheel did you use?

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Well most people do not have a lathe to cut the nut down like you did. I purchased the adjustable one from mcleod already. Just need to get the proper measurement.

I also using a spec billet steel flywheel and not mcleods. So the stock one may work for me....

I've heard of stock ones working

Yes I know. But, many use an angle grinder as well. or if you like I would be willing to do it for you. Nice, that adj PC should make it nice! I've heard of stock working as well, hopefully yours is that way.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
There is a transmission and clutch removal and install thread in then how to section. Its about 3-4 pages in.

Only recomendaton i have is DO NOT use the plastic alignment tool that comes with the clutch kit. Get one if the steel obesbfrom summit. They're only $25 or so and they do a much better job than the plastic ones. It says its for GM but it'd the same. Says that because gm t56 cars are all 26 spline.

You could borrow mine if you want. Just pay shipping both ways.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
There is a transmission and clutch removal and install thread in then how to section. Its about 3-4 pages in.

Only recomendaton i have is DO NOT use the plastic alignment tool that comes with the clutch kit. Get one if the steel obesbfrom summit. They're only $25 or so and they do a much better job than the plastic ones. It says its for GM but it'd the same. Says that because gm t56 cars are all 26 spline.

ive never heard of the plastic align tool being bad?

I know how to remove and install the trans. its really just setting up the clutch properly and the stud ball that worries me. this is my first twin disc install

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member

I know how to remove and install the trans. its really just setting up the clutch properly and the stud ball that worries me. this is my first twin disc install

Same here bud, I'm still waiting on my input shaft to come in but I plan on doing the install when it comes in. I helped install one on a buddies car and we never could get it adjusted right, it released at the very top. Hopefully we can on mine. If I install before you I'll take notes and post up

svtshadow

Banned

You can use the plastic alignment tool, youhave to hold it really firmly with one hand while the other hand tightens the PP bolts. Next time I am purchasing the steel version.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member

I see EXACTLY what your talking about now. Jesus the amount of play is nuts. I'm gonna order the summit racing one tonight. Do you have a part number by any chance?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
bump

I cant find a 26 spline shaft with the correct diameter for the input shaft. :(

can anyone help.

the gm one and ford ones are different. but 26 spline though

im looking to get the steel one

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm having a nightmare getting mine adjusted right.. I'm already in 9mm on the adjustable pivot ball and it is still releasing at the top of the pedal. Good luck with yours!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
im gonna try the stock ball first. hell the adjustable ball that I have needs to be cut its like 3-4 inches long and bottoms out in the transmission. so I cant install it. my friend has a lathe at his job so if the stock height does not work ill sent the stock one to him to modify :)

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
What flywheel did you use?

sorry, i never replied to this, i think i saw it and meant to reply but then never came back to the thread. mine is a fidanza aluminum that i brought to over to mcloed and they machined it for the rxt and then balanced the entire assembly

im gonna try the stock ball first. hell the adjustable ball that I have needs to be cut its like 3-4 inches long and bottoms out in the transmission. so I cant install it. my friend has a lathe at his job so if the stock height does not work ill sent the stock one to him to modify :)

that was my approach too, i figured i would try the stock ball and then if it didnt work, go from there

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
sorry, i never replied to this, i think i saw it and meant to reply but then never came back to the thread. mine is a fidanza aluminum that i brought to over to mcloed and they machined it for the rxt and then balanced the entire assembly

that was my approach too, i figured i would try the stock ball and then if it didnt work, go from there

I have a spec billet steel flywheel.

so what am i looking for exactly? should the clutch fork be centered or?

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
I just installed the rxt/new stock flywheel, and upgraded to 26 spline input shaft. I talked to Mcleod several times, they thought with the stock flywheel I would not need the adjustable pivot ball. They also told me there should be .25 inch of play between the pp fingers and the tob. I have a steeda adjustable clutch cable/single hook quadrant/firewall adjuster. I know everyone praises the stock cable but this was on there when I bought the car and my t56 has always shifted like butter. So anyway, I decided to try the stock pivot ball instead of the adjustable. Once trying to install the cable to the fork my cable was about 1/2 inch short. Instead of pulling the tranny again (pita), I decided to adjust my cable to make up for the gap. Once adjusted I had about a .25 in. from pp fingers to tob. My clutch fork was pretty flush with the tranny backplate (.25 in play). I called Mcleod to confirm my situation and they thought those tolerances were good. Car shifts like butter, no chatter, and begins to engage about 1.5 in off the floor. Pedal pushs in effortlessly. Just thought I'd share, there are other less labor intense options, like using the adjustable cable, instead of pulling the tranny 5..10..or 20 times to get it right. Good luck.

Last edited:

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Here's an update with mine... I dropped the trans for the 5th time last night and FINALLY got it adjusted right. Here's a little piece of advice, whenever you do a new clutch GET A NEW CABLE!! My old cable was so stretched that it caused me to have to shorten the pivot ball over 9mm because it was not enough. When I installed the new cable from Maximum Motorsports the release was way down on the floor with too much pressure on the TOB. Ended up dropping it again and going back to 5mm shorter than stock and its almost perfect now. Release is almost in the middle of the pedal (I have the MM pedal height adjuster as well). FYI i'm running the RXT with a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. Hope this helps someone in the future!

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
I got my rxt / pivit ball / steeda adjustable clutch cable/single hook quadrant/firewall adjuster / throw out stuff and I am waiting on my Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel.

Let's see what I run into

I see you guys dropping the tranny more then 5 times , is it really that easy ? Is your guys cars on jack stands or lift ?

Users who are viewing this thread