Installing AF gauge on coyote with factory wideband sensors

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I have a friend with a 2012 5.0 who just went on an impulse spending spree on some gauges without following my advice on what type of AF ratio gauge to get.

Among other gauges, he bought a prosport volt & air fuel gauge. This gauge didn't come as a kit with a wideband sensor, and it can be configured to be used with either a narrow band sensor (fluctuating between 0-.9 volts once per second to find the ideal average of about .450 volts) or a wideband sensor (0-5 volts) using dip switches on the back of the gauge.

I tried to tell him not to get it because of how useless a narrowband gauge is, but all he cared about is that it had blue lights.

Anyway, I remembered that the coyote motors have factory wideband 02 sensors! I know people are able to use gauges such as the aero force interceptor and others that interface with the OBDII port to display wideband air fuel data.

But I'm wondering if I can use a regular air fuel gauge (that can be configured as a wideband) to work with one of the factory 02 sensors, either interfacing in the 02 harness or elsewhere in the vehicle.

This gauge relies on a single wire for the signal from the 02 sensor.

I don't see why it wouldn't work unless the ford wideband sensor used a different type of signal that the computer translated into the correct data.

I think all I need is a wire with a 0-5 volt signal (or behaves on a linear scale) instead of the moving average narrow band signal)

Anyone know which wire this may be?

One last thing: on this gauge (pn# 216AFLED-BLU) it says for wideband users: " if you intend for this gauge to work like a wideband You will need to install the grey wore on a LC-1 controller (or something similar) to out put signal. You will also need to change the settings ok the back of the gauge to 0-5 volts."

Any insight you all could provide would be helpful. My biggest question is: is it possible to use the factory ford 02 sensors (or any vehicle woth factory widebands) for a conventional wide band gauge without buying a new sensor?

If so, then I can move on to making this gauge work. It would really make my day of I could get it to display wideband data without having to get any extra modules or expensive parts. My buddy isn't spending any more money on the gauge because he doesn't know or care what the difference between narrow or wideband is. On the other hand, it would be a shame if that gauge wasn't used to its full potential if there was a quick and easy solution.

I'm good with electronics so I can always make some sort of basic component to make it work if need be.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to make sure you get the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread