Installing Afco exchanger and custom Spal fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
So here goes my custom install. This is just the exchanger and fan. I will post up the detailed remote wiring later on Friday.

First you will need to remove the Fascia to gain access. Here is how to do that.

Jack up the car and place it on jack stands. Remove the front tires. Remove the radiator cover. And then begin to remove the 3 screws in each fender liner at the spoiler these are just at the outer edge. Then remove the 3 twist lock plastic fasteners to be able to pull the fender liner back out of the way.

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Once you have the liner back out of the way then you can go up in and twist out the marker lights. Then disconnect the fog lamps.

Now on each inner corner of the fascia are 2 10mm nuts these hold it up against the fender.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Slide up under the car and remove the 3 small screws for the splash pan closest to the sway bar. They are a 5.5mm socket.

Go back up top and remove the 2 upper bolts for the fascia by the head lights.

IMG_0113.JPG

You can now gently pull the fascia off and look for the alignment tabs that fit in the headlights, there is a slot to help align all this when you put it back together.

IMG_0119.JPG

Now you can unplug the harness to the pump. Using a bucket drain the old exchanger from the right side hose (lower left in the picture) as this is the lowest point in the system.
Once it is basically empty then you can disconnect the other hose that runs from the tank down to the pump. Then remove the plastic push pins and the 3-4 13mm nuts that hold the Exchanger in place then you can pull it out.

IMG_0120.JPG

Here is the difference in the older Afco and the stock exchanger. Note it is much taller and thicker than the stock unit. the width is about the same. You can tell the dual pass will help cool things down.

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Now you can remove the pump from the old and install on the new. I had to make a new hose that went from the upper connector to the pump. I got a #4204 hose and it was a little longer but had all the right bends.

IMG_0125.JPG

Now go in and locate the fan and attach it. I used zip ties, and with a piece of the hose I cut off made a chaffing barrier so the fan and evaporator didn't wear a hole in it.

IMG_0124.JPG

Now you can reverse the procedure and begin the installation. Install the new exchanger and bolt it in place and connect all the hoses.
Once you have that then you can begin to splice the fan into the pump. The pump has a black wire(ground) and a white with red stripe(positive) the fan is also marked with a black (ground) and a Blue (positive) wire. Make sure you add in a couple of disconects so you can remove it later if you need to. You will also want to swap out the 10 amp fuse for a 15-20 amp. I used a 20 just to be safe.

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

After all of that is done then you can reinstall the fascia, radiator cover, fender liners, and wheels.

IMG_0129.JPG

Here is a you tube of the fan and pump running, it is loud with out the motor running but not so obnoxious with it running. You can feel the air being drawn in through the lower grill. I will get a couple pics but it now fills that entire opening with exchanger coils.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3CecppD6s"]YouTube- Afco heat exchanger with Spal fan[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread