Installing MagnaFlow X-pipe at home???

Cobra'03

Established Member
I generally do not like anyone messing with my car but me.

But having never done a middle pipe on a Mustang, I would like some expert opinions about installing the 93335 catted-X while the car is on jack stands. Easy, horrible, moderately horrible? Do the four 02 sensors bolt in without any modification? WI need MILS?

I have impact wrench, tons of tools, and installed the catback myself - opinions on the install please, gentlemen!

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I did it once on my 99 and i'm about to do it again on the 03. It's kind of a pain, but it's not complicated. I'm debating if i want to just pay $50 this time.

There are plenty of posts that go into it, so i;ll just hit the basics:

- You'll need at least "18 of extention and a swivel head to get the manifold bolts on and off.

- Leave the rear bolted, it'll help hold up the rest for part 4.

- Remove rear o2 harness. Get cozy with it from a non-visual frame of mind. Y

- You can't reach one (or both, forgot) of the front sensor harnesses, so unbolt the 2ea manifold bolts and SLOWLY lower the pipe a few inchs until you can reach the and undo the harness which you'll have to do by touch.

- Watch out for the passangers-side lead gasket and transfer to new pipe.

- Swap the 02 sensors over when both pipes on laying on the ground next to each other. Trust me, it's easier than taking them off with the pipe on.

- Install is revese of above. Took me about 2.5 hours by myself, a second pair of hands is VERY useful; with a friend i could do it again in less than 1.5 hours.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Thanks, I do trust you, and that was a lot of work to put together!:thumbsup:

What about the Mils? Do the maggie cats do the job to keep the Mil light off? Or with my Diablo chip, is it a non -issue I wonder?

cobrablue

Established Member
i have the complete exhaust with the diablo, no check engine light. as far as working on the ground. its not a complicated job just a real pain in the ass. its a snap if you have a lift or can pay someone to do it. nothing is more frustrating than running into a snag when your on the ground. good luck with the install youll love it.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
A chip should fix it if you do, but i never got a light (without a chip) until one of the cats blew about a year later. Of course, it took the downstream sensor with it when what's left of the cat went flying out the back at 80mph (rear-mounted, single-fire platinum cannon?).

I think the shrapnal might have taken out a Honda :burn:, however that might be a bit optimistic.

03DOHC

Established Member
It can be a MFPITA with a lift at times, so I wouldn't want to do it on the ground. I hate it when that frickin bolt galls and becomes one with the exhaust manifold! Not saying it can't be done, because it can, I'm just not going to deal with it :).

Ford makes some good penetrating oil. It's the best. I don't remember what it's called, but it comes in a spray paint type can w/a marble in it. It's the best stuff I've ever used PERIOD. It's black, nasty, stinky, bubbly, slippery stuff, but it makes WD40 and the rest look like quick dry cement. Spray some of that stuff on the nuts and bolts before you remove them. Just a helpful hint.;-)

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra

- You'll need at least "18 of extention and a swivel head to get the manifold bolts on and off.

Will this be the impacct variety or can I just use a standard extension and swivel? I know finding the swivel in impact grade is nearly impossible.....

J.

Steve B

Established Member
If my memory serves me from doing this on a 99 Cobra a few years ago, you need a medium well socket to fit onto the passenger side nuts, a standard socket won't seat fully over the studs.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
I agree with 03DOHC, it is a PITA. If i was saving $200, it's worth it to do myself; if it's only gonna cost me $50 at a muffler shop, it's TOTALLY worth it to have them do it. Good for experience though, like buying a black car- everyone should do it once in their life :)

Regular deep socket, you don't need an impact, but it would probably make it slightly easier.

Last edited:

TcM-668

be sure to try and use 6pt sockets as well. Yours should not be all fouled up with rust, but mine on the R were and they galled right up. I now have a small exhaust leak because I was too lazy to replace the studs, figuring the impact wrench would tighten up the nuts, and it would be OK. I was wrong...

Also, you might want to get an extra exhaust collector gasket just to be on the safe side. they are only a few $$ at Ford, and if you booger yours, then you'll have to go track one down.

I did my whole x-pipe/cat back in my driveway with jackstands.

I had to do the jack shuffle, because when I jacked the front up enough to get under it, I could not get the jack under the back. Had to drop the front down enough to get the back up, then go to the front and jack it up. reverse for lowering it.

It is not too hard, but like everyone else said, a real PITA. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. Ford does not seem to know what Anti-Seize is...

If you troll on the R board, there is a complete breakdown of how to do it for the R (which should be very similar to your setup), with typical tool sizes, etc. Also has part # and prices of the assorted parts if you break them (IE O2 sensors, etc).

http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15165

Good luck.

2003snake

Established Member
Just finished, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I did take pics if anyone is interested.

Make sure you have a 7/8 wrench for the O2 sensors

Make sure you have a 12" extension, and a 15mm deepwell socket and you will also need a swivel!!

other than that it wasn't to bad!!

J.

2003snake

Established Member
This is supposed to be the worst one, I will say this is the reason why you need the swivel.

and I'll tell ya that I'm glad there are Impact guns, I bought one when I put my pulleys on my ROUSH and got to use it again this time on my buddies GT.

J

Users who are viewing this thread