installing poly isolators on rear springs,write up?

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I am attempting to put poly isolators on my sportlines in the rear this weekend. The car sits a tad too low for my liking right now,and I wanted to do everything I can to raise it up. I just had a few questions :

1. Switching from rubber to poly isolators will raise the car how much? A half inch maybe?

2. I also plan on going with 18'' rims all around as well. What type of rim/tire setup will raise the car up a little more?

3. Is there a write up on how to "swing" the irs down instead of taking it all the way out to remove the rear springs?? This is my first IRS car,and im sure some of the parts I have to remove,I dont even know what they look like.:bash: I searched,but I couldnt find a write up,or some instructions.

thanks

- chris

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Unbolt the lower shock mount. Support the rear of the IRS subframe. Remove the two rear IRS subframe bolts located in the top of the wheel well. Slowly lower the jack until the pressure is off the springs.

You can remove the brakes if you want to, but usually if you just unbolt the line from the body, you'll have enough slack. I've done it without pulling the brakes, but just pay attention to the lines.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Unbolt the lower shock mount. Support the rear of the IRS subframe. Remove the two rear IRS subframe bolts located in the top of the wheel well. Slowly lower the jack until the pressure is off the springs.

You can remove the brakes if you want to, but usually if you just unbolt the line from the body, you'll have enough slack. I've done it without pulling the brakes, but just pay attention to the lines.

Thank you bre bar. Do I have to ubolt a part of my exhaust as well?

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member

Im about to do my rear springs as well...let me know how things go. Also post some pics of your car bro. I havent seen it since you got it, would love to see how things are coming along

-Ryan

zPipes

Established Member
going with tires with a thicker sidewall, i.e. 45 instead of 35, will give you a little more height, also i think the poly iso's drop you just a hair over the stock rubbers, i dont think they raise.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member

Oh yeah. You could try just unbolting it at the midpipe, but it takes like 2 mins to take it off, so I'd probably just do that.

FYI, take it off as one giant connected piece. It's much easier, imo.

zPipes

Established Member
but now that i think of it i have the pro kit with rear iso's removed and the front lowers removed, and its not too low. except for my bbk midpipe.. the flange scrapes here and there but bbk is known to hang low. im moving to longtubes with a shorty h pipe and then im gonna look at maybe getting about another 3/8" lower if i can. i like the dropped look tho.

zPipes

Established Member
also live in florida where all the roads are flat lol, that could be a problem up north where roads are cracked, mounded in the middle, lots of hills and what not.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Im about to do my rear springs as well...let me know how things go. Also post some pics of your car bro. I havent seen it since you got it, would love to see how things are coming along

-Ryan

Ill let you know how it goes. Im not the fastest mechanic,but I have access to air tools,a lift,and a lot of knowledge motorheads,so it shouldnt be too painful. I will also try to take quality pictures of my car soon. I just wanted to wait until I got the new wheels to suprise everyone first.

going with tires with a thicker sidewall, i.e. 45 instead of 35, will give you a little more height, also i think the poly iso's drop you just a hair over the stock rubbers, i dont think they raise.

I was under the impression that polyeurothane spring isolators will actually raise your car a little,because its a thicker material? Someone correct me if im wrong?

Oh yeah. You could try just unbolting it at the midpipe, but it takes like 2 mins to take it off, so I'd probably just do that.

FYI, take it off as one giant connected piece. It's much easier, imo.

take the exhaust off as one whole piece??

but now that i think of it i have the pro kit with rear iso's removed and the front lowers removed, and its not too low. except for my bbk midpipe.. the flange scrapes here and there but bbk is known to hang low. im moving to longtubes with a shorty h pipe and then im gonna look at maybe getting about another 3/8" lower if i can. i like the dropped look tho.

lol,I have sportlines. If you saw how low my pipes hang right before they exit out the back,you would shit yourself. I love the way it looks,but it wouldnt be optimal for everyday driving IMO. So im trying to go with a bigger tire/rim,and the poly isolators to give me roughly an inch (if that) more of clearance.

also live in florida where all the roads are flat lol, that could be a problem up north where roads are cracked, mounded in the middle, lots of hills and what not.

yep,lol.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I've always found it easier to take the catback on and off as one piece. When you put it back on, just support the far end of it with some jack stands.

zPipes

Established Member
hmm thats interesting, i didnt know that, i knew it was a more dense material but i thought that it thinner overall compared to the rubbers. good to know tho

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Yup. I think it something like 1/4" or so.

thanks

hmm thats interesting, i didnt know that, i knew it was a more dense material but i thought that it thinner overall compared to the rubbers. good to know tho

yea,I guess that makes sense. Im just hoping between going with a bigger wheel/tire,and these poly isolators,the car will sit perfectly how I want it,and look great.

Users who are viewing this thread