Intercooler fluid???

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
I am assuming that my Cobra has the Ford Gold Premium intercooler fluid (used on 03/04 Cobras OEM) since it's not the green Ford intercooler fluid. The SC fluid is not green also. Both are of yellowish color... The original owner has not posted for a year and some months since I bought the car, so getting a hold of him is zero.

Anyways, is it safe to mix intercooler fluids of the same color? I'm thinking of just using Ford Gold Premiem intercooler fluid since the intercooler fluid level is 1/4" under the minimum line on the tank. Will this hurt the Cobra say if it's not Ford Gold Premium intercooler fluid but of a different brand?? Feedback please...

twhitey

Established Member
How cold does it get where you live? I would just add water but I am in central fl.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
OMG!!! Thats crazy! I just drained my intercooler fluid (blower swap) and I was just looking for the same thing! What intercooler fluid? I have the Ford Motor Company Workshop Manual and I was looking through it for the exact intercooler fluid...here's what it said:

Motorcraft premium engine coolant vc-4-a

I googled it exactly but haven't found it and where to exactly buy it. I was just going to go to Ford and order it from them.

Last edited:

1BADSNK

Established Member
Some of the early Cobra's came with green coolant & then they went to the yellow(gold) coolant. For your rad & intercooler, use the same type that it has in it now. Both my rad & intercooler have the yellow. I went to Ford & got the Ford gold. Whatever color your car has in it your Ford dealer will have both in stock. DO NOT CHANGE COLORS. Hope this helps.

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
Some of the early Cobra's came with green coolant & then they went to the yellow(gold) coolant. For your rad & intercooler, use the same type that it has in it now. Both my rad & intercooler have the yellow. I went to Ford & got the Ford gold. Whatever color your car has in it your Ford dealer will have both in stock. DO NOT CHANGE COLORS. Hope this helps.

Thing is...I don't know if it's actually Ford Gold Premium fluid or some other brand since I cannot get a hold of the previous owner of what type of fluid it has. It does not have the Ford green fluid, so that rules that out. Now, I'm thinking of just adding water to it to be on the safe side..., but til then, I don't know if mixing other types of yellow coolant fluids is safe til I either get a hold of the previous owner or just do a complete drain/flush.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Just got off the phone with Ford, he said that the new Gold fluid is VC-7. It sells for $15 a gallon.

cltgt

Life is a drag race
Established Member
Only colors I know of are green, gold and orange(dex cool). if you have the gold colored coolant, just get the same from Ford. It will be the same thing.

1BADSNK

Established Member
Ya, not only looks like gold but costs like it also. :) The cobra never used the dex cool(orange). Just green or gold. Since we are talking about the intercooler I think this is a pretty easy fix bud. You say its gold in color now you just don't know what brand. Ok,no biggie. All the aftermarket gold coolants(non-ford) I've seen can be mixed with anything. That said I myself wouldn't just dump the Ford fluid in & call it a day. :) So, drain whats in the intercooler now. Either pull off the lower hose or the drain plug from the intercooler. When its empty fill back up with water. Let the car run( make sure you top the reservoir off when the pump kicks on & the fluid drops down) till the water runs through it for a bit. Then drain the water back out like when you first started. Now all you have to do is fill with the Ford gold fluid(make sure you cut the gallon 50/50 with water). You'll be just like new & good to go. :)

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Ported...many people run water wetter and distilled water only...but I run 40 coolant and 60 distilled water here in the panhandle of florida...IMHO, it's not worth the risk of it freezin on ya...milky oil ain't good...

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Water will cool better, and is free.

If you live somewhere where it will be getting below freezing, DO NOT do this. It is not worth the risk to have a busted intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread