Interesting quote from Stiegemeier

Screamin'SVT

Banned
"This car had a Stiegemeier ported blower, 2.93" pulley, no lower, STOCK MAF, cold air intake, headers and X-pipe with cats. As an interesting side note, the 2.93" pulley showed to be the best size in terms of rotor speed for our ported blower. The HP continued to climb all the way up to 6200 RPM. We had seen previously that HP peaked around 5700 RPM then flattened out but those blowers were using 2.8" pulleys."

Is a 2.93 really better than a 2.8 on a ported blower? If so, how come so many people are having success with 2.8/2lb or 2.93/4lb + ported blower setups? People with 2.8 + ported blower does it really flatten out around 5700rpms?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Stiegmeier's quote sounds right to me. Of course a 2.93 would keep climbing until redline over a smaller pulley. The smaller pulley is reaching the limits of the blower faster (lower RPM).

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Most of the people I talk to seem to think that a 2.93 is better than a 2.76. I would like to see what everyone else thinks, I am thinking of switching to a 2.93 w/a 4lb lower set up after I get my blower ported.

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Stiegmeier's quote sounds right to me. Of course a 2.93 would keep climbing until redline over a smaller pulley. The smaller pulley is reaching the limits of the blower faster (lower RPM).

:thumbsup: to what Hissman said!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Stieg using the 2.80 upper earlier for their testing and reportedly gained +70 with their tb/pl ports?:shrug:

Thanks!

drohan8592

Established Member
i talked to bob stiegemeier and he said with his latest port you will need a 2.8 or even a 2.8 with a 2lb lower in order to get the most out of the latest port. i believe the information about the 2.93 was regarding the early design ports. steigemeier has made some incredible advances with the more recent blower ports, which in turn are making the eaton much more efficient.

Screamin'SVT

Banned
HISSMAN said:

True, but my car with a 2.76 and unported blower peaks at 5750. With the increased efficiency of the ported blower, shouldn't the hp peak be higher instead of lower?

BLK_03

Established Member
Screamin'SVT said:
True, but my car with a 2.76 and unported blower peaks at 5750. With the increased efficiency of the ported blower, shouldn't the hp peak be higher instead of lower?

Depends on the port. There are several Steigemeir ported blowers floating around... Hell , there are several blowers somehow claiming to be ported by steigy/apten, but are from somewhere else.

With the newest port design,a 2.93 upper and a 4lb lower producing about 16.5 pounds of boost, my HP climbs all the way to 6200 RPM where I let out of the pull.

MTI LS1

I plan on doing the 2.75/2lb combo with the latest and greatest Steggy port. Hoping to see some real good numbers. I think that the efficiency of these blowers will make it possible to spin the blower at higher rpm's w/o losing that much power to heat.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I am itching to get my blower back from Stiegemeier as when I visited his shop he was stating that a 2.80 and a 4lb. lower would yield great results. I thought to myself that a 2.80 with a 4lb. lower would be to extreme for a eaton but time will tell. I will be going with a 2.80 upper when I get my blower back. My numbers seemed low initially with a Borla CB, Prochamber, K&N FIPK at 407/367, with a lean stock tune.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
He didn't seem to think so as that is the route he was recommending for me as a later mod. I wish Stiegemeier would chime in himself so others would hear it from him, and not me. If I get brave in the future I would like to try a 4lb. lower with a 2.80 upper but I would only do so if I could datalog with a Raptor IAT 1-2 temps, spark, and A/F ratios with a wideband in real driving conditions. With these latest port designs it will be interesting to hear the different routes people will be taking as far as upper/lower combinations, and seeing hp/trq and driveability issues.

Last edited:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Ya I sould have my blower back from steig next week...I will be going the 2.8/2#lower route. But if i don't like the outcome I will switch to a 2.93/6#lower combo!

BLK_03

Established Member
It was the thought at one time that the 2.93 was the ideal pulley w/ a port since it kept making power all the way to redline and never fell off. However with the newer port design, the Eaton is more efficient and can conitune to make power with more boost.

We overlayed the 2.93 and 4 lb graph over the 2.93 graph both w/ recently ported blowers, and the results were pretty self explanatory. The gains under the curve with the lower pulley car were significant. After seeing this, lower pullies seem the way to go.

dynobobstieg

After doing alot of testing on the newest Stiegemeier porting technique we found a 4 # Lower with 2.8 Upper or 6# Lower with 2.93 Upper will be best combinations.

You will see 30 FT lb of TQ and 30 HP-UNDER THE CURVE- Peak HP will average +5 to +15.
Remember your CAI Must be an shrouded straight shot-METCO- (We have in Stock)

Your Cats must be H. Flow or delete Mid Length Headers are great, Quality exhaust is a MUST.
I have personally inspected MANY Blowers running these Pulley Set ups -There are No signs of premature wear.

To take FULL Advantage of your Stiegemeier Stage III Blower-Go for the Lower pulley.
We stock ALL Pulley sizes top and bottom Call or E-mail for suggestions and Pricing.
636-949-2275
[email protected]

Interchangeable Crank Shaft Pulley Kit- Alumimum Hub and 1 pulley ring Billet Aluminum Idler Plate with all hardware and tools, Choice of 2,4,6 or 8 #.
$375.00.
6 and 8 lb Lowers require an alternator pulley. $48.00

TRENT03SNK

Established Member
I suppose every terminator with a pulley and port will produce different #'s, but for what it's worth, I have a 2.88 pulley and I make hp up to 6250. Before the Stiegemeier port, it only made hp up to 5800. This is the only pulley i've used on the car so I can't compare but I would say 2.8-2.9 is a good pulley choice. It seems that smaller than a 2.8 is too much for the blower at high rpm's (from what I've read). Just my 2 cents

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
The more and more efficient the port job makes the blower, the harder you are able to spin the blower safely and not create as much heat. Shoot, my blower is still making power up to 6200 as hard as I spin it!

Users who are viewing this thread