Intermitent Idle Question

CompOrangeStang

Established Member
I don't even know if I'd call this an issue, because it happens so infrequently and doesn't affect drivability at all, but I am curious as to what may cause it.

My car normally idles perfectly at 750 rpm, doesn't surge, doesn't drop lower, etc. Every now and then I'll pull up to a traffic light, and I'll notice I am idling at about 1400-1600 rpm. If I lightly blip the throttle, the rpm will raise, then fall back down and settle at 750 rpm. If I turn the engine off, then immediately back on, then the car idles at 750 rpm again perfectly.

It almost seems like the TB gets stuck open slightly, or maybe the IAC valve is going bad. Not sure. Either way, it happens so infrequently it doesn't bother me, and even when it does happen, blipping the throttle puts things back to normal.

Thoughts?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Detach the air hose, unplug the electric supply wires, unbolt the IAC from the intake, flush the IAC interior with carb cleaner as required, perhaps use a toothbrush to scrub the stubborn spots, DO NOT TRY MOVING THE PINTEL as it is driven electrically and you will only mess it up. Then reassemble to the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread