Intermittent ticking??

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
UkNP9Xg

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
Wow, 7K miles and those are results of your compression tests. Just curious. Are you the original owner?

i actually removed the pprv valve from the car myself, got rid of the hiccup and shutting off, the previous owner obviously beat the crap out of it with no care.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You always need a compression test before buying one of these cars. Doesn't matter if it's a factory motor or a rebuild. 7 tenths of a mile is plenty long enough to melt a piston if things are not correct with tune/fuel delivery. 7000 miles is a long ways.

One thing I noticed is its tuned by kurgan (reputable tuner btw)....but I see you are in California. Did Kurgan have the car dialed in on a 93 tune? I'm assuming San Diego you only have 91 available. If you never got a retune for 91....that could be problematic

hotcobra03

Established Member
no sir i just bought it. i think its had 3 owners before me. the last owner was the one who had the motor rebuilt. i have all the documentation for the work. says everything was redone bottom end top end. whats retarded is they didnt do the cylinder head cooling mod!?

I have not done it.

Don’t see passenger side low often.

But between the 2 cylinders I’m assuming it’s a piston noise vs head.

Oil change will always quiet a tick but only a short time 30w is thicker.

Strange our Toyota runs 0-20w and doesn’t burn anything. Also 32v motor

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
You always need a compression test before buying one of these cars. Doesn't matter if it's a factory motor or a rebuild. 7 tenths of a mile is plenty long enough to melt a piston if things are not correct with tune/fuel delivery. 7000 miles is a long ways.

One thing I noticed is its tuned by kurgan (reputable tuner btw)....but I see you are in California. Did Kurgan have the car dialed in on a 93 tune? I'm assuming San Diego you only have 91 available. If you never got a retune for 91....that could be problematic

Very hard lesson learned. Im not sure who tuned it but the work and tune was done by GTR Performance over in Rancho Cucamonga. I know its tuned for 91 octane. i have the map on a sct programmer. Just so erratic how it was running fine and one normal drive home the ticking started?

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
I have not done it.

Don’t see passenger side low often.

But between the 2 cylinders I’m assuming it’s a piston noise vs head.

Oil change will always quiet a tick but only a short time 30w is thicker.

Strange our Toyota runs 0-20w and doesn’t burn anything. Also 32v motor

funny i have a toyota too on 0-20w noisey as hell but thats how they are.

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
you guys think its a damaged piston or could it be valve play too? but wouldnt my plug be full of oil? idk very confused.

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member

whats funny is when i turn the AC on the tick goes away? lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
whats funny is when i turn the AC on the tick goes away? lol

Well, that's odd. But....I think you posted it looks pitted inside the cylinder most likely detonation....the compression number was not good....I'm afraid the motor is going to need to be yanked

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well, that's odd. But....I think you posted it looks pitted inside the cylinder most likely detonation....the compression number was not good....I'm afraid the motor is going to need to be yanked

All of this.

Your engine was rebuilt not original

At 7k. Try again.

The ac adds a load to engine which in turn stops noise.

Older cars were like this when bearings went.

Drive in 2 or 3rd noises went away till engine could relax

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
If the Piston is pitted then there is a good chance you could have lost the piston skirt or part of it. That's exactly what happened to my stock motor and sounded the same as yours! Noise got louder as the engine warmed up as well.

Ken

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
No getting around it, the engine will have to be pulled I'd you want it fixed. You'll learn a lot doing most of the work yourself, if you so chose.

im definitely going to do it myself, definitely going to be a challenge. Lesson learned compression test before purchasing. sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread