IP address info?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Is there anyone who can get me specific info on a IP address? All I got so far is area location and that its an Apple product. Looking to find out exactly who it is. Thanks.

Last

Established Member
You will probably get a lot more responses with a little more info.

Why do you want the IP?
Where is you interaction with this person? (I assume SVTP)

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Cliffs. Soneone is posting things about my biz online. It seems like an employee or former one acting like a disgruntled customer. I can handle bad reviews but this person says crazy and false things. Basically curious if its someone i know

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Since you're looking for a public IP, you'll only get an approximate geographic location and maybe the provider that owns the address. You'll need a subpoena to get any additional info.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Since you're looking for a public IP, you'll only get an approximate geographic location and maybe the provider that owns the address. You'll need a subpoena to get any additional info.

+1, Came in here to say the exact same thing.

Planter

Banned
you'll need Law Enforcement to execute a search warrant to tell you anything more than basic WhoIs IP lookup info.

or if you have a mole inside one of the ISP's that can get you that info.

the WhoIs info should tell you what ISP they're running off of, but don't expect the CSR's at any of those companies to tell you anything without a search warrant.

mjohns930

Established Member
The IP address might not be of much use on its own. I am assuming these online postings are on some sort of forum or message board. Have you done the basics of googling the username, if any, to see what other sites this individual may be registered on? Scouring for this type of info can give you more info about who this may be based off of other interests or possibly even posting a name on another message board. Have you recently fired someone or has an employee quit out of anger? Obvious questions, but if you fired someone and they live in the general area where this IP might be coming from then you may have at least a slight connection. Are any current employees unhappy with you or your business that you know of? Once again I know these are things some might consider obvious and I am not trying to insult anyone, but with just an IP you will get pretty much nowhere.

Do you have a suspicion who it is? There are simple ways you can get an email to show someone's IP address. If you have an idea who it may be, see if you can get them to send you an email. If this is the case before you try and get this person to email you, search around on how to show IP address in email header info for your email provider. When the person sends you an email it will show their IP. If it matches or is from the same geographical location, you MAY once again have a slight connection.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cliffs. Soneone is posting things about my biz online. It seems like an employee or former one acting like a disgruntled customer. I can handle bad reviews but this person says crazy and false things. Basically curious if its someone i know

That's the downside of public reviews, Mike. They can be very helpful to the consumer, but there are lot of fake and even slanderous reviews out there, and they're all pretty much anonymous. In your case you just have to hope that the average reader will discern that a particular review might be fake since the vast majority are likely very positive.

Anyone know if a person who wrote a slanderous review has ever been sued for slander? After all, a vindictive person could potentially do some damage to a business' reputation.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later. I suspect it is someone that currently works for me and that's why I'm upset over the whole thing.

03kevo

Established Member

You probably gonna need a lawyer and go the whole legal 10 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread