IRS bushings - budget build

THark88

Established Member
So I've looked over and over.... And I'm trying to get opinions based off ofof person experiences.. what brand bushings have you put in your IRS? My rear diff is leaking and I'm having a hard time paying $1,000 for bushings.. I know there's only a few companies making them, but I think it's absolutely absurd for a bushing kit to cost $400-$1200 ... I've seen many people hate on poly bushings and some say they'll melt (I'm assuming diff bushings) ... But I'm wondering what bushings you've done and how you feel about them.

I'm needing to replace stock 18 year old irs bushings:
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
Subframe
Front differential
Rear differential

Yes I know there arw kits that contain all delrin bushings for $1000+... I'm wanting to know if anybody has pieced together their own kits..

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the melting poly diff bushings has more to do with those that open track their cars. I'm actually thinking of going to poly diff bushings to quiet things down some.

I ran poly diff bushings in my 01 with no problems. I also ran poly cradle bushings in that car with no issues. I never got around to swapping out the control arm bushings. One set was from Maximum Motorsports and the other was from Steeda. I don't remember which was which though.

Friend of mine is running all poly in his 01 IRS. No complaints that I know of. I think he went with Energy Suspension.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Are we talking $1000 with install? Cause i dont see a $1000 bushing kit

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I use the Prothane bushings but my car is a street machine only and won't see anything other than spirited driving.

I was after something a little more comfort oriented with minimal nvh.

Agree that the bushings are pricey especially factoring in labor cost or even time costs if you do them yourself.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Get FTBR adjustable diff bushings, the IRS cradle can be poly, 9/16 front bolts, and go delrin A arm bushings. I feel the biggest improvement was setting the diff angle and going solid mount.

I run FTBR diff mount, and diff bushings, but have Delrin Drop Engineering a arm and cradle bushings. I added Billitflow weld on IRS braces. For added strength, I welded all the open corners of the cradle closed while I had it apart installing the bushings. The cradle bushings are practically useless IMO, I dont see any movement happening through a solid mounted subframe.

Welding the cradle for strength...

photobucket-9718-1393879932779_zps4f1681b6.jpg

2014-03-10_18-20-36_821_zpse642236b.jpg

2014-03-10_18-21-18_231_zps249b33a2.jpg

20140311_181013_zps6113a657.jpg

20140311_194704_zps563ca9cc.jpg

20140322_122745_RichtoneHDR_zps1de3569b.jpg

20140329_134051_zps2cb0241e.jpg

20140413_121506_zpsef4ca444.jpg

Last edited:

THark88

Established Member
Mm has kits at $600, $900, $1,100

Ftbr has kits at $700, $800, $1,100 ($1,100 does include diff cover that's needed for their drop bushings)

These are no labor at all. Just $40 worth of bushings that they've been making bank on lol.

Im all for capitalism so, more power to them. No doubt. Lol

THark88

Established Member
If it makes a difference.. my car is a weekend toy that I will drive the crap out of. Hit the drag strip for fun every now and then and just beat on. Not a daily but I do drive it to work in nice weather (it's a vert)

THark88

Established Member
03 white snake.... Have you got that back in the car ? Whats the seat of the pants difference after all that work? Is your car a drag car or what? I don't believe I've seen anybody else weld the rear like that so honeslho curious if it effects anything or if it's peace of mind....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it makes a difference.. my car is a weekend toy that I will drive the crap out of. Hit the drag strip for fun every now and then and just beat on. Not a daily but I do drive it to work in nice weather (it's a vert)
That's exactly how I drive mine. It's my toy and I treat it as such. The main reason I went with the FTBR is because the previous owner included it with the car. I will say the car seems to ride better with these bushings. It definitely handles better.

03' White Snake

Established Member
03 white snake.... Have you got that back in the car ? Whats the seat of the pants difference after all that work? Is your car a drag car or what? I don't believe I've seen anybody else weld the rear like that so honeslho curious if it effects anything or if it's peace of mind....

I did that probably 4 years ago. Feels solid. Mainly a street car but I do race it a few times a year. I wanted it to be as strong as possible. I personally love the way it feels. The only negative is the added NVH from the solid diff mounts. I added 3M insulation under the rear seat area to help quiet it down.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I did that probably 4 years ago. Feels solid. Mainly a street car but I do race it a few times a year. I wanted it to be as strong as possible. I personally love the way it feels. The only negative is the added NVH from the solid diff mounts. I added 3M insulation under the rear seat area to help quiet it down.

How much did it help? I'm considering going to poly bushings to quiet things down a little.

03' White Snake

Established Member
It helped, but if you DD your car, it will not be enough. Windows and top up, it's still on the loud side. I dont DD my car, so it's not a big deal to me. 95% of the time, my top is down for cruising.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It helped, but if you DD your car, it will not be enough. Windows and top up, it's still on the loud side. I dont DD my car, so it's not a big deal to me. 95% of the time, my top is down for cruising.
Mine isn't a daily. But with the stock mid pipe back on I'm noticing other sounds more. Although I usually have the windows down and the stereo up when I'm driving.

52merc

Established Member
I threw out the Mach 460 stuff and replaced the entire system with a new one. Can't say I've ever noticed the additional noise from the FTBR kit which I installed about the same time. Maybe I need to turn the tunes down.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Spend the money on FTBR kit its worth it. No sense cutting corners with cheap bushings that you will have to replace again. Do it once and do it right. :)

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Get FTBR adjustable diff bushings, the IRS cradle can be poly, 9/16 front bolts, and go delrin A arm bushings. I feel the biggest improvement was setting the diff angle and going solid mount.

I run FTBR diff mount, and diff bushings, but have Delrin Drop Engineering a arm and cradle bushings. I added Billitflow weld on IRS braces. For added strength, I welded all the open corners of the cradle closed while I had it apart installing the bushings. The cradle bushings are practically useless IMO, I dont see any movement happening through a solid mounted subframe.

Welding the cradle for strength...
View attachment 1553065
03 white snake are you using just the support brace in the pic or the actual ford racing cover and FTBR solid mount? I'm on the ford cover now, but didn't know about the solid mount that I want to switch to. I'll have to pull mine and send it in to be milled for that though. I'm going the same path as you for the most part. I just did most of my front end a couple weeks ago

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm curious why all the work then run a brace? Why not a Ford Racing or LPW cover for added strength. They also have the main cap support and a fill/drain plug.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
I'm curious why all the work then run a brace? Why not a Ford Racing or LPW cover for added strength. They also have the main cap support and a fill/drain plug.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Never had an issue, so no need to swap covers. If it starts leaking, I will then upgrade it. But that's not the billetflow weld on braces I'm talking about.

These are the weld on braces.... shown before actually welded and painted. These are from my brothers car.

20141116_111110_zps27dbacd3.jpg

20141116_111119_zpse98f8406.jpg

Shamwoww88

Established Member
^^that's why I replaced mine. Previous owner grenaded the rear diff mount, but gave me a cover to go with the car and extra brace. Couldn't use the new brace obviously and I had the rear diff mount rewelded not being able to find an upgraded mount at the time. Of course after I finished the repair I found FTBR and the solid mount lol. Once it stops being my DD again I'll finish the upgrades for the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread