irs bushings

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
How did eveyone get their lca bushings out. Search provided no details. I got the insides of the irs bushings out, but do the metal shells need to come out as well? The uca's were pretty easy. Those are already out, and the delrin is in. Any specific details are GREATLY appreciated.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
magstang1 said:
How did eveyone get their lca bushings out. Search provided no details. I got the insides of the irs bushings out, but do the metal shells need to come out as well? The uca's were pretty easy. Those are already out, and the delrin is in. Any specific details are GREATLY appreciated.

The metal shells on the lowers come out too. If you don't get the LCA tool from badboy, I've got one too.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
magstang1 said:
do the metal irs shells come out?

Are you talking about the subframe bushings? If so, just grind out all the rubber and the crush sleeve in the middle.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
black10th vert said:
I used a press and the sleeves need to come out

We must be talking about different things then, because no sleeve needs to/should come out on the subframe bushings. Which bushings are you talking about? The red ones from MM/Steeda?

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
i was talking about subframe bushings. I learned the hard way that they do not need to come out. From what I have gathered Uca metal sleeves stay in. Lca metal sleeves come out. Irs subframe metal sleeves stay in. All the bushings I am using are Nick's except the subframe bushings, those are prothane. The aluminum diff bushings don't seem to fit though. The part that is supposed to slide into the diff housing is too lagre on the bushing.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
magstang1 said:
i was talking about subframe bushings. I learned the hard way that they do not need to come out. From what I have gathered Uca metal sleeves stay in. Lca metal sleeves come out. Irs subframe metal sleeves stay in.
All correct.

magstang1 said:
All the bushings I am using are Nick's except the subframe bushings, those are prothane. The aluminum diff bushings don't seem to fit though. The part that is supposed to slide into the diff housing is too lagre on the bushing.

Slightly bevel the edge of the part that goes into the diff hole. Then use a c-clamp to press them in. We had my diff out when we were doing it so it was easier.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I had to get the aluminum sleves that go into the LCA's remachined. Way too tight once the delrin bushings are pressed into the LCA.

I cut out three of the LCA bushings and then got the tool. The last one popped right out with the tool - real easy. Don't mess with cutting if you can get the tool.

Also, the front diff bushing was way too tight. I pressed it in with lots of force but now I think I should have had it machined down a bit. I will never be able to get them out if I need to for any reason.

black10th vert

Established Member
I had to cut .010 off the front diff bushings to get them in. I also had to bore the delrin out to get the inner sleeves to go in and I had to cut 45 degree bevels on each end of the delrin so they don't bind on the ears of the perch when the bolts are tightnened. But it all works great now. Except it wheelhops worse than ever. Time for dr's.

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
What the heck is the deal with the rear diff bushing. I got an outer delrin sleeve in the kit from nick. Are you supposed to re-use the aluminum from the stock bushing? I got the stocker out and started to peel off the rubber, but it is bonded right to the aluminum. What is that all about?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
magstang1 said:
What the heck is the deal with the rear diff bushing. I got an outer delrin sleeve in the kit from nick. Are you supposed to re-use the aluminum from the stock bushing? I got the stocker out and started to peel off the rubber, but it is bonded right to the aluminum. What is that all about?

Yeah, you need to remove and clean off that sleeve. It gets reused.
I found that to be the softest compound in the whole system.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
black10th vert said:
...snip.. Except it wheelhops worse than ever. Time for dr's...snip...
Tires will help "some"
What springs/shocks you running? Did you install Rear Subframe Mount Brackets?
bracket-painted.jpg

black10th vert

Established Member
no I haven't installed the subframe bracket yet and still have the stock springs. I'm not doing anything else to it for a while. Doing some remodeling on the house and figured I'm not going to race it until I have the extra money to fix something that might break.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
badboy said:
I had to get the aluminum sleves that go into the LCA's remachined. Way too tight once the delrin bushings are pressed into the LCA.

why couldn't you insert the aluminum sleeve in the delrin and then install the bushing into the control arm?

How is everyone getting the rubber off the rear diff sleeve that is re-used?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
magstang1 said:
why couldn't you insert the aluminum sleeve in the delrin and then install the bushing into the control arm?

How is everyone getting the rubber off the rear diff sleeve that is re-used?

I did originally press in the bushings with the aluminum sleves in them. Real hard press. Then the aluminum sleves were much too tight. Would not turn after I installed the LCA's in the subframe. They are supposed to move but they were solid. I had to press them out and have them cut down about .005-.008 on the OD before there was any chance of them working properly.

I cleaned off the rear diff sleve with the same wire brush cup I used to clean out the subframe bushing housings.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
That makes sense, and if that is true then my lca bushings are probably going to be screwed too. I cant even get the aluminum core into the delrin on the work bench without a fair amount of force. Once the lca is squeezing them it's only going to be worse.

Maybe it's just me but that rear diff brace is a mess. The rubber does NOT!!! want to come off of that damn piece of aluminum. I guess one more piece of aluminum in a $350 set of bushings is too much to ask, as well as front diff bushings that fit. Maybe thats just me?

Ohh, and thanks you guys have been a lot of help :beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
The aluminum crush sleeve would go 1/4 way into the delrin LCA. I just test fitted it - major bind. So back to the work bench to take some more off. BTW, the rubber came off from the rear cover brace for me - I just pried it off with a screw driver.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
The aluminum crush sleeve would go 1/4 way into the delrin LCA. I just test fitted it - major bind. So back to the work bench to take some more off. BTW, the rubber came off from the rear cover brace for me - I just pried it off with a screw driver.

When you say take some more off, are you taking aluminum off to make the center sleeve smaller, or boring out the i.d. of the delrin? What tools are you using to do this? It looks like mine will be the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread