IRS Differential / Pumkin Identification

Jak110sfd

Established Member
Can someone tell me what the cast iron looking block is for mounted to the bottom of the differential? I have a leak at the pinion seal and am going to fix it but was wondering what this is for and can it be removed. :shrug:

Jak110sfd

Established Member
I have noticed that several guys have removed them. Is there an aftermarket item that takes its place or are they just not absolutely necessary?

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If you are on stock diff bushings now would be a good time to replace them. If you replace the diff bushings with delrin or polyurethane remove the vibration dampener, it isn't needed.

Jak110sfd

Established Member
Thanks to all for the advice. Just for clarification, the differential bushings are located at the front of the diff on either side that set the pinion angle in reference to the drive shaft? Obviously, as you probably guessed I am new to the Terminator. My Saleen is so much easier to work on.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
You also have a rear diff bushing. Changing the diff bushings to aftermarket bushings will help stabilize the diff and reduce wheel hop if you have any.

Jak110sfd

Established Member
I found the parts on FTBR website. I'll order them and probably the FR diff cover while I'm there. It's not leaking but it seems like a common problem. Have you replaced the cover? I read conflicting stories that the cover can only be removed by dropping the IRS. Others have said you can remove the drive shaft and front & rear diff mounts and slide it forward enough to remove the cover. I would prefer not dropping the entire IRS while its still warm out and I can enjoy the vert.

Users who are viewing this thread