IRS Maintenance. When do you replace/check parts and bushing interval?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
This is my second cobra and, ironically enough, I've only recently heard about needing to tighten the rear axle nut and none of the cobra guys I hang out with knew they needed to tighten this thing as well, let alone how often.

My car started to wonder a little a couple weeks ago on the freeway and it kept getting worse. I thought the car was just tramlining so I didn't give it much notice. Well, when I searched the word "tramlining" I read about the rear axle nut needing to be tightened with every oil change. I got the car up last night and the rear wheels move a lot in when shaking from the 12 and 6 position. There are A LOT of threads about this from 3-4 years ago, but nothing recent. I don't own a 36mm socket or a torque wrench that can torque to 250 ft/lbs, but that will be fixed today and I'm hoping that I don't need to replace the hub and the bearing, but given that this has been going on with a lot less severity for the last couple MONTHS, I think I'm probably going to have to.

For the suspension gurus...when should I be checking/replacing components on my IRS? When I owned my M3, it was pretty common knowledge that I needed to replace the rear trailing arm bushings's at XX,XXX amount of miles and the rest of the bushings in the rear at XX,XXX amount of miles and same with the front trailing arm bushings at another interval. They were available from aftermarket venders as well as dealers in the stock rubber or poly (which I wouldn't touch).

So now I know that the axle nut needs to be tightened at every oil change, but when does the rubber need to be replaced in the IRS? I know, I know about the FTBR kit and I have every intention of installation, but not everyone wants a higher NVH, especially on a DD

Is there anything else on the IRS I should be checking on a regular basis? Any help would be awesome :beer:

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
For those of you who have not checked these axle nut bolts I highly suggest you do it ASAP. BOTH of mine were pretty loose

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
brian i don't know if i would go so far as to check it at each oil change, but i do swap/rotate wheels/tires enough so that i do check them pretty regularly. in my situation i found that once i tightened them up to spec the first time with a new nut and red loctite, they stayed pretty much at spec. but i do no road racing, just drag and agressive street driving

and i hear you about the tools... believe it or not several years ago i bought a 3/4 torque wrench and 1/2 drive 36mm with adapter specifically for this purpose.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
brian i don't know if i would go so far as to check it at each oil change, but i do swap/rotate wheels/tires enough so that i do check them pretty regularly. in my situation i found that once i tightened them up to spec the first time with a new nut and red loctite, they stayed pretty much at spec. but i do no road racing, just drag and agressive street driving

and i hear you about the tools... believe it or not several years ago i bought a 3/4 torque wrench and 1/2 drive 36mm with adapter specifically for this purpose.

Just took the car for a drive and drives perfectly! I forgot how well the car actually handled! I love it.

Tools weren't too bad thankfully. A touch over $100 for everything which the wife wasn't thrilled about but it's better than $500+ to replace the axle nut, bearing and hub. And as far as doing it every oil change, I only change mine every 10k miles ;-) I'm hoping you are correct as far as it staying to spec. I'll check it again in a couple thousand miles and see how it looks.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I've only recently heard about needing to tighten the rear axle nut and none of the cobra guys I hang out with knew they needed to tighten this thing as well, let alone how often.
This is why you text me. Speaking of...I need to check mine :lol: I have noticed the same thing you described
I know, I know about the FTBR kit and I have every intention of installation, but not everyone wants a higher NVH, especially on a DD
Im not sure this is 100% accurate but Im sure that may be subjective. I have read those posts but Im finding more and more people stating they didnt notice any increased NVH. Im about to pull the trigger on some FTBR stuff. You didnt have any on the old Cobra?

You found a 250ft lb torque wrench for under $100? Im sure I can find someone on the local forums that has one. Bought a 36mm socket already. FTBR sells those too

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
For those of you who have not checked these axle nut bolts I highly suggest you do it ASAP. BOTH of mine were pretty loose

The torque on these nuts should be checked at regular intervals.

Depending on how long the car was driven with those loose halfshaft retaining nuts, there is a pretty good chance that one or both of your rear bearings could have self destructed during that time. IF they were run long enough in that condition you could have damaged the bearing diameter on the hub.

This is spelled out under the IRS Maintenance section in the IRS Informational Article on our site:

IRS Informational Article

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread