Swap the SRA out for an IRS??? remember, just a fun street car

• DO IT!!! IRS ROCKS!!!

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Build the SRA!!!

Votes: 25 43.9%

• Total voters

bwahl602

Established Member
04 mach 1. Ive got an 04 cobra IRS swap available if i want it..

First off. My mach is a street car and not much more... Its gonna see 1 or 2 autocross events a year and hopefully a little open tracking. The car might head to the drag strip once a yr and trust me, im no drag racer. Car takes long trips sometimes and the roads around here suck.
Im looking for ride quality, performance, reliability.
One thing to add, the mach will get an eaton swap sometime soon. 500rwhp is the goal
IRS vs SRA
Currently im running a SRA in my mach with steeda control arms, adj upper arms and steeda lowering springs all around... Personally i dont think the ride is that bad but i will admit, the sra is a bit harsh at times.. especially whe n the road surface gets a bit choppy...

Im completely on the fence about the irs... i know it may handle a little better at first... But i have torque arm and panhard bar peices on my list to go on the mach. I have no idea how they will make the SRA ride once i get rid of the upper control arms.

Anyone have experience with a built SRA and a built IRS???

Either way: if i go IRS, at the minimum it will get urethane, if not some delrin bushings. All bushings will be replaced and it will get the brace and usual parts

if i stay SRA, it will get a MM torque arm, PHB and MM coilovers

Im worried about wheel hop with the irs. I dont want to not be able to slide the rear end making a turn every now and then.. and lighting the tire up from a take off is fun sometimes too...
Am i going to loose the ability to do this? (remember the IRS will have all new bushigs/ brace etc)

Ride quality, built SRA vs Built IRS? Anyone have experience here

IRS worth the headaches of aligning it etc etc???

Anyone who has an opinion is welcome to share it and i thank you for it.

IRS the mach or no?

EDIT: Another thing that came to mind was overheating with the IRS diff..

most people say that the fully built 3 link SRA is superior to a modded IRS..

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
That spells IRS. :beer: Your desires match exactly mine. I wanted a fun street car with amazing handling/comfort.

Both

Either way: if i go IRS, at the minimum it will get urethane, if not some delrin bushings. All bushings will be replaced and it will get the brace and usual parts
+1

Im worried about wheel hop with the irs. I dont want to not be able to slide the rear end making a turn every now and then.. and lighting the tire up from a take off is fun sometimes too...
Am i going to loose the ability to do this? (remember the IRS will have all new bushigs/ brace etc)
One of the important keys to no-wheelhop is bumpsteer. MM sells a kit to adjust bumpsteer. Your other alignment specs can be set to your desire. If you want my specs, I can PM them to you. The other important thing is the tire.

IRS rides much better ...no question. I had H&R SS springs on Tokico D-specs and I hopped/skipped over dips/bumps.

Pay someone for the standard alignment. Do your own bumpsteer adjustment if you can.

IRS the mach or no?
Hell yes ...but I am biased. PM ac427cobra for expert advice.

Not an issue for your planned usage. Just be smart about it when/if you open track. Do not do long sessions, wrap the exhaust in that area, too.

In a purpose built racecar maybe.

See above.

Driver500

Established Member
your SRA with panhard and torque arm will be fine. If anything try it out since you already have it. If you don't like it switch then. I run road course, street, and drag and my SRA performs well across the board.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
For a weekend DD and the odd trip to the track I would sooner have a IRS over the SLA but the roads here are terrible and that is being polite.

blackbob

Nurburgring GTO
Established Member
Originally Posted by bwahl602

That spells IRS. Your desires match exactly mine. I wanted a fun street car with amazing handling/comfort.

My buddy John said the exact same thing as the both of you. He even did the research and seriously thought about it. In the end,like you, he's no drag racer and hardly ever gets on the car if at all.

Both

The rear end in my 96 GT is built with the exception of some braces I have yet to buy. I also documented and wrenched on my buddies 99' Cobra. We did every IRS upgrade in the book you can think of during this time as well. I can provide a link if you like so you can see straight forward IRS work really is. Then again,not like there aren't plenty on here already.

+1

Did all this stuff and I have pics too ! Hardest part is getting the old stuff out.

One of the important keys to no-wheelhop is bumpsteer. MM sells a kit to adjust bumpsteer. Your other alignment specs can be set to your desire. If you want my specs, I can PM them to you. The other important thing is the tire.

What he said.

IRS rides much better ...no question. I had H&R SS springs on Tokico D-specs and I hopped/skipped over dips/bumps.

Same here and it ****s me up everytime I get in the Cobra after driving my GT or vice versa.

Pay someone for the standard alignment. Do your own bumpsteer adjustment if you can.

There are drive way tricks for everything. Just make sure the shop that does yor alignment is credible and warrenties their work.

IRS the mach or no?
Hell yes ...but I am biased. PM ac427cobra for expert advice.

If you're willing to do the work, I say go ahead ! The worst that could happen you don't like it. If that's the case just take it out and go about your day.

Not an issue for your planned usage. Just be smart about it when/if you open track. Do not do long sessions, wrap the exhaust in that area, too.

I believe the make coolers and stuff as well for this.

In a purpose built racecar maybe.

Exactly how many of these people have cars that actually "need" such a SRA ?

My .02

Last edited:

EVO-lution

Established Member
IDK...I feel IRS would be better for circuit racing. SRA is stronger for straight line I feel. IDK i could be wrong. When I had IRS in my 99 Cobra it felt soooo much smoother around turns. The SRA in my Mach nbow feels sloppy at times when I'm hitting a big on/off ramp.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I'm not into road racing, but what I can tell you, is I was able to push my AB mach around corners and easy/comfy as my 03 cobra. It had H and R SS's and 18"s (265s). It road very smooth IMO.

And takign corners at high speeds has been skeptical for me ever since my roll over.

blackbob

Nurburgring GTO
Established Member
IDK...I feel IRS would be better for circuit racing. SRA is stronger for straight line I feel. IDK i could be wrong. When I had IRS in my 99 Cobra it felt soooo much smoother around turns. The SRA in my Mach nbow feels sloppy at times when I'm hitting a big on/off ramp.
I will agree my buddies Cobra does that from time to time. I chuck it up to it not being aligned ( the only shop with a 4 wheel alignment is broken and we're in Guam so yeah..).

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I did the IRS and LOVE it....
of course I have no intentions on ever SCing it! (That's what my Saleenm is for!)

RcodeStang

Established Member
IRS would be nice but I don't want to have to change out all the friggin bushings. If you can afford fully built IRS /w diff cooler, do it. Otherwise, SRA.

Four cam slam

Bacon Enthusiast
Established Member
IRS all the way.....DO IT!!!!!!

I swapped to IRS in my 97 Cobra.......AWSOME just change the bushings while its out!!!!!
The exhaust routing on the IRS is SOOOOOOO sweet, looks exotic.:rockon:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SRA with Griggs watts link. Will give you incredible corner carving ability and the strength and reliability of the SRA.

second this! search griggs racing on youtube! they are on rails with their setup! the bonus is that they change the attachment points so you can drop your car without losing suspension travel!

Users who are viewing this thread