is a basic 2v worth it

EstenN

So i've got my bone stock 99 gt with just exterior modifications and exhaust, and I'm thinking of ways to go faster. I know these engines don't respond well at all to bolt ons :whine: so would doing basic bolt ons (tb, pulleys, plenum, etc) make enough of a difference to be worth the amount of money it would take? And if i don't go with that, what could I possibly do to go a little faster? It's a high mileage motor, so anything above 350-400rwhp would be pushing it lol

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It's about much you want to spend and how much you want to build.

I think the consensus is that a used Centri will be your best bang for buck.

Basic Vortech is like $3k new. You'll need injectors and ECU tuning. But it lists as a 100hp gain.

Stock 4.6 rods are only good to 400whp anyways.

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
So i've got my bone stock 99 gt with just exterior modifications and exhaust, and I'm thinking of ways to go faster. I know these engines don't respond well at all to bolt ons :whine: so would doing basic bolt ons (tb, pulleys, plenum, etc) make enough of a difference to be worth the amount of money it would take? And if i don't go with that, what could I possibly do to go a little faster? It's a high mileage motor, so anything above 350-400rwhp would be pushing it lol

I have a 2003 mustang gt with some basic bolt on (throttle body, plenum, etc) and it does not respond well at all so I would honestly save up for a supercharger I'm looking to get a kenne bell supercharger on around 8 lbs intercooled but if you are looking for a little hobby like i am I would say go for it.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
As stated, it depends on your budget. Superchargers are the best bang for your buck, especially if you want to stay under 420 rwhp. If you are mechanically inclined, you could throw in a forged rotating assembly, and have your heads ported. I wouldn't suggest that for a novice though.

Once my wife is done with college, my bullitt is getting a teksid block, forged rotating assembly, either ported heads or trick flow heads, cams, and an intercooled procharger. I'm going with a centri to keep the bullitt intake manifold and throttle body. It's a fairly large budget build though for a 2v. Even more if you need a shop to do it.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Spend 3-4k dollars, put a blower on it. Make 400rwhp. Spend a little more money on a set of drag radials, put some gears in it and I promise you it's going to take you a long time to get bored with your car. I've had the blower on mine since 2012, and everytime I drive it I have just as much fun as the first time I ever got into it.

Yes, 2v's are not the best we all know that. Don't screw with heads, don't worry about the block, the pistons, the rods etc. If you put forced induction to it just make sure it is tuned by a very reputable guy. If the tune is spot on, it will be fine. My cars been at 400rwhp for years now and I abuse it every single time I drive it. It gets launched, it gets raced, it gets no lift shifted, it just flat out gets beat every time it's turned on, and it has 104k miles now. For the money it takes to supercharge it, if you do it right I truly don't think you will ever regret it.

KITT

Established Member
The most I've seen from a 99-04 2V GT with every basic bolt on minus headers was my buddies 02. He put down 280RWHP, with 4.10's and DR's would run consistant 13.2's in the 1/4, probably could crack the 12's with the setup. Your at a point where you need to decide which path to go down to be the most cost effective. If you have the budget for 2-5K for HP mods I would stop at the exhaust and go for the blower with a low PSI (~around 8psi)and good tune netting around the 380-400rwhp ball park. If the blower is not really your thing or in your budget, just get a set of gears 3.73 or 4.10 and a hand held tuner and call it a day for HP mods, any other bolts ons should only really be purchased if you find a really good deal, because you will feel like you spent alot of money for nothing. After the gears and tuner are done and your feeling like you need more but don't have the money for a supercharger still, get a set of cams if you are able to do the install yourself. You will need a tune for them, so factor that in to the equation.

My best advice is to appreciate the 2V for what it is and not for what it isn't, if your not willing to accept that than you shouldn't be driving one.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If you engine ultimately needs bearings and rings because of age, you can also take the opportunity to do a low budged internal upgrade.

Coyote connecting rods are ~$30 each. They are good for 600whp. So at ~$250 that's pretty good insurance if you are pulling the engine apart.

Cast crank is also good for 600hp.

400-450whp is the sweet spot on these cars. Anything beyond that and everything needs built or replaced. Transmission, Axles, fuel system, crank, rods, pistons. Forged cranks need 8-bolt flywheels, etc.

Blower is the best bet. Easy to install, makes cool noises, looks cool, fun to play with. It will make real power that's noticeable, not just noise. You'll get to tell people about your Supercharged Mustang and they'll be impressed.

If your 4.6 short-block pops for whatever reason, another used one is like $300.

If a Blower is out of the budget or not your thing, maybe a 5.4 swap. You'll make an extra 20-30hp and 30-40ft/tq. Swap seems to be a PITA but it's fairly inexpensive.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I went 12.8s @108mph in a 01 at full weight on drag radials with 3.73s, shorty headers, o/r xpipe and cams. The cams alone were worth 4mph! I'd supercharge if I had to do it again.

EstenN

Thanks so much everyone for these replies, i wasn't thinking bolt ons would even be worth it. I've been looking at an on3 turbo kit which ive heard works well on these slightly older engines, which I think i could get around 350-400hp out of.

Users who are viewing this thread