is a GT500 a Cobra?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm sure somewhere along the line with you yahoos this has been brought up but my buddy with a 2014 GT500 always talks about his "cobra" then seems to get offended when I tell him you own a Shelby and Cobra died in 2004. He has no argument besides it has a snake logo but to me it's clear, nowhere in the paperwork or on the car does it say Cobra. Thoughts? Btw it's not a cobra

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Last time I checked it says Shelby right on it. Please explain why it's not a Shelby.?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

SVT built the car. Shelby got a check for letting Ford use his name. Nothing is more annoying than the people that proudly tell everyone that will listen about their "Shelby"

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
A Shelby employee didn't touch or influence the design, testing, or build of that car since it's reintroduction in 2007. Ford upped the price using that name because they went with a retro design. Brilliant marketing by Ford and SVT.

Last time I checked it says Shelby right on it. Please explain why it's not a Shelby.?

Recon

Established Member
There are a few models that Shelby American built. Although the only GT500 based models I know of are the Super Snake and 1000. Rest are based off the GT or V6.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not a cobra, they ended in 04, yes SVT built the (GT500 or whatever you want to call them) and Carroll Shelby did have some input on them back in 07, and he was involved with the design of the 13/14 GT500s. At the end of day IMO it's a Shelby. But it can be argued about all day.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
SVT built the car. Shelby got a check for letting Ford use his name. Nothing is more annoying than the people that proudly tell everyone that will listen about their "Shelby"

Except when they call it their Cobra

C0bra99

Established Member
A Shelby employee didn't touch or influence the design, testing, or build of that car since it's reintroduction in 2007. Ford upped the price using that name because they went with a retro design. Brilliant marketing by Ford and SVT.
Last time I checked Carroll Shelby had consulted on the '07 to' 14 so to say a Shelby employee or THE MAN HIMSELF didn't work on the car is incorrect.

C0bra99

Established Member
So what you're saying is a car that has

1)Shelby on it multiple times
2)Can be registered on the Shelby registry with all the other Shelby's
3)The 07-14 program was influenced/consulted by the man himself
4)Registered at the DMV as a Shelby GT500
5)Shares the same Name/Model as the older version

And because it wasn't built under a roof in Vegas it's not a Shelby? GTFOH!
9d0efdf07e2f961e46ec02529215ea66.jpg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
So he said he liked the design and sold the rights to his name to slap on it because it was fast....SVT designed, developed, tested, and built it. I can put a sticker with my name on it on anything...it doesn't mean I'm responsible for it.

Last time I checked Carroll Shelby had consulted on the '07 to' 14 so to say a Shelby employee or THE MAN HIMSELF didn't work on the car is incorrect.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Earth shattering contributions according to Barret Jackson.....

Ford had consulted with Shelby while developing the GT and sought his expertise as well for the souped-up Mustang that would bear his name.

Shelby was sent early design sketches for the car and later was invited into the design studio to see clay models. He helped make sure that design elements weren’t done merely for aesthetics, but for dynamic function.

“Carroll can look at a car and tell if it’s fake,” said one design studio staffer. “He validated that we were giving the customer the total package, both in function and in the aesthetically pleasing look.”

Users who are viewing this thread