is a GT500 a Cobra?

raustin0017

Established Member
Funny...my 2014 Shelby is parked in my garage. Is it a 'real Shelby'? Take 2.5 mins and see what the Man himself tells you about if the 2013/2014 is a real Shelby. He would not have allowed Ford SVT to put the name on it if he did not influence/approve.

Is a 2004 Mustang Cobra a real Cobra? It was designed/built by the same SVT division as the newer Shelby and named Cobra. A real Cobra was designed and built by Shelby himself.

Does a Shelby have to be built by Shelby American to be a real car? That is a silly question. They (SA) take a product designed & built by Ford and bolt on some high performance products. Very nice, but still a Ford factory product.

The 2013/14 Shelby GT500 is not a Cobra. It does have Cobra badges but it is not labeled or named a Cobra it is a Shelby...just as a 04 is a Cobra.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Funny...my 2014 Shelby is parked in my garage. Is it a 'real Shelby'? Take 2.5 mins and see what the Man himself tells you about if the 2013/2014 is a real Shelby. He would not have allowed Ford SVT to put the name on it if he did not influence/approve.

Is a 2004 Mustang Cobra a real Cobra? It was designed/built by the same SVT division as the newer Shelby and named Cobra. A real Cobra was designed and built by Shelby himself.

Does a Shelby have to be built by Shelby American to be a real car? That is a silly question. They (SA) take a product designed & built by Ford and bolt on some high performance products. Very nice, but still a Ford factory product.

The 2013/14 Shelby GT500 is not a Cobra. It does have Cobra badges but it is not labeled or named a Cobra it is a Shelby...just as a 04 is a Cobra.

I do agree with you, but let's not forget this man also put his name on a K-car :D
I don't think anyone here would call that a Shelby, nor would it be the 1st thing to pop into ones mind when thinking of Shelby.

resize.php

C0bra99

Established Member
Earth shattering contributions according to Barret Jackson.....

Ford had consulted with Shelby while developing the GT and sought his expertise as well for the souped-up Mustang that would bear his name.

Shelby was sent early design sketches for the car and later was invited into the design studio to see clay models. He helped make sure that design elements weren’t done merely for aesthetics, but for dynamic function.

“Carroll can look at a car and tell if it’s fake,” said one design studio staffer. “He validated that we were giving the customer the total package, both in function and in the aesthetically pleasing look.”
Wow the next paragraph from the article you copied from says

“Carroll was really involved from early on,” said one Ford engineer, who noted that Shelby participated in test drives and convinced the Ford team that the suspension needed even more stiffening and larger rear wheels and tires than called for in early designs.

Not only did Shelby suggest those changes, the engineer said, “but Shelby was really instrumental in pushing [the changes] within the Ford Motor Company’s management. He’s very well respected. That respect gives him more influence.”

Both the vehicle engineer and the design staffer also said it meant a lot to the team to have its work validated by none other than Shelby, the living legend.

Seems you are very selective on what you want to include in this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

C0bra99

Established Member
I do agree with you, but let's not forget this man also put his name on a K-car :D
I don't think anyone here would call that a Shelby, nor would it be the 1st thing to pop into ones mind when thinking of Shelby.

resize.php
Yes I do agree he did attach his name to quite a few wonky items. Zmax comes to mind

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I just call it the GT500.

Oddly... several of my friends and close acquaintances call it a Cobra! A close buddy has a built C6Z and constantly refers to my car as a Cobra.

Doesn't help that Cobras are stitched into the seats and plastered on each fender.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Its his car he can call it whatever he wants. I call my truck "the grown man chevy". If he wants to call it garbage thats his prerogative.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I just call it the GT500.

Oddly... several of my friends and close acquaintances call it a Cobra! A close buddy has a built C6Z and constantly refers to my car as a Cobra.

Doesn't help that Cobras are stitched into the seats and plastered on each fender.

Original Shelby's also had Cobra emblems.

CV355

_
Established Member
I tell people it's "just a base model." They think I'm joking around, but I maintain a straight face. Then they get confused. Sometimes I'll even say something like "it has the 4.2l Hemi in it" or "this one had snake emblems on it because the guy who had it before me really liked Raptors."

The key is keeping a totally straight face, and acting confused when they say differently or try to correct you.

"Oh I know this song! It's Stairway to the Wall from Pink Zeppelin's 3rd album, Abbey Avenue."

Yeah, I'm that guy. Keeps people guessing and makes them leave me alone.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You opened a can of worms OP….. There’s been hundreds of these threads. Most end with long hard arguments with Shelby and Cobra owners. At some point, 5.bros will join giving their .5 cents and both SVT owners join together to attack 5.bros

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread