is a GT500 a Cobra?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
You opened a can of worms OP….. There’s been hundreds of these threads. Most end will a long hard arguments with Shelby and Cobra owners. At some point, 5.bros will join giving their .5 cents and both SVT owners join together to attack 5.bros
Doesn't surprise me. I'll stir the pot and add that at "Shelby fest" this year I had a few people comment that they were surprised they let a Terminator in the show. There were a bunch btw but it seems some of these GT500 guys think their car is untouchable

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Where is that guy that started the Cobra crew which included GT500's?
I think he meant any and everything with a Cobra logo meant it was in that Cobro group. Meaning there were 5.0 Cobros (Cobra jet).

Now that I think about I have never heard the new GT350 as a Cobra car. It has the logos tho.

5.bro, gt5hundo, vettebro, vipebro, cobro, lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Doesn't surprise me. I'll stir the pot and add that at "Shelby fest" this year I had a few people comment that they were surprised they let a Terminator in the show. There were a bunch btw but it seems some of these GT500 guys think their car is untouchable

Untouchable until you run into a TERMI owner with a bedazzled shift glove. All bets are off at that point. Obvious victory to the TERMI.

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
My understanding of the "Cobra" name:

Carroll Shelby first used the name for AC Ace cars that he modified using Ford engines. The Cobra badge and name became synonymous with Shelby.

In '65, Ford sent Mustangs to Shelby to be modified, giving us the GT350 and GT500 Mustangs. These cars also bore the Cobra badge, but they were not called "Cobras". This was merely the result of Shelby using the badge as his "signature" so to speak.

After Ford and Shelby parted ways in '71, Ford continued to use the Cobra badging on the Mustang II platform, dubbed Cobra II in '76. Cobra models were available in the early days of the fox-body as well.

Finally, in '93, Ford's SVT took over and gave us the first SVT Cobra. The '04 was the last "true" SVT Cobra. In '07, Ford returned to using the Shelby nameplate and with it, the Shelby Cobra badge.

So are GT500s "Cobras"? I say yes and no. Yes in that they carry on the legacy of the Cobra badge but no as Shelby Mustangs were never called "Cobras", it was just Shelby's signature emblem.

Just my $0.02

blk02edge

Established Member
People used to call my 03 cobra a Shelby all the time... I think if people can say something wrong they will.

Klay

Established Member
Last edited:

C0bra99

Established Member
LOL At anyone who thinks Carol Shelby had anything to do with engineering the 07 GT500.
From your comment you seen to be very knowledgeable about the subject. How about you enlighten us? I'd prefer facts if you don't mind.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member
From your comment you seen to be very knowledgeable about the subject. How about you enlighten us? I'd prefer facts if you don't mind.

Shelby may have approved body work, that's it. The rest of the powertrain is pretty basic ford svt parts. "Yea sure, throw a blower on it like you did 3 years ago"

blk02edge

Established Member

C0bra99

Established Member
Shelby may have approved body work, that's it. The rest of the powertrain is pretty basic ford svt parts. "Yea sure, throw a blower on it like you did 3 years ago"
You could say the same thing for the 350 and SS that come from SA. Throw a blower and some brakes, maybe a unique body panel give it a CSM and there you have it now it's a real Shelby what a croc.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Jack O'Conner said the .270 was the greatest hunting cartridge of all time so...
/discussion :D

tenor.gif

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Sorry guys but you are 100% wrong when you say the GT500 isn't a cobra. At the very least when it comes to the 2007 model. It is listed on Ford performance website that it was engineered to be the next svt cobra.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/collector-vehicles/shelby/shelby-gt500/2007.html

Edit: Needed to clarify it was engineered that way, not named cobra.

Also, back in 2006 ford released some early promotional material marketing the car as the upcoming Shelby Cobra GT500 mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread