is a GT500 a Cobra?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
QwOhQ4B.gif

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
I like the distinction of Shelby/GT500 vs Cobra. No shame in owning either lol. We can be Cobros at the end of the day. Not sure why anyone would want there GT500 mistaken as a Cobra and vice versa, if just talking about it.

It says GT500 on the side, and Shelby on the back. My 2010 has a Shelby American sticker on the firewall. Not sure if previous owner stuck it on, or it's stock. Looks good makes sense.

_Snake_

Established Member
Go to a car show with your GT500, call it a Cobra, and people will laugh at you behind your back. You'll be the "guy who doesn't even know what he's driving."

Doesn't really matter to me what you call it. I enjoy the entertainment.

einehund

Established Member
If your follow up reply is that it doesn't say cobra anywhere on the car, then I guess it isn't a mustang either since that isn't found on the car.

There is a mustang on the OEM windscreen up at the top, hiding behind the rear view mirror.

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Here's a new question: a v6/GT with all correct Cobra body parts, interior, drivetrain, and suspension, is it a Cobra???

Klay

Established Member
The original GT500's also had Cobra emblems on them, that's why.

That further proves my point, they were called cobras also (at least some of the models were). That's where the whole cobra naming scheme started from.

To further stir the pot, if anything, the 93-04 cobras weren't "true" cobras since it originated with the shelby cars.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
What about the guy running around saying he has a 1992 Mustang Cobra Convertible??? Is that a real Cobra??? LOL

Oh man I hope we don't rehash this one

Here's a new question: a v6/GT with all correct Cobra body parts, interior, drivetrain, and suspension, is it a Cobra???

The Cobras have specific vins which indicate thier factory build. Same as old muscle cars. People would restore Chevelles into SS396's when they were a basic model when built. It's more like a tribute car at that point and will never be the real McCoy IMO.
Same reason why a Factory Five AC Cobra replica with the same drivetrain as an original isn't bringing millions like the originals. The authenticity isn't there

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I do agree with you, but let's not forget this man also put his name on a K-car :D
I don't think anyone here would call that a Shelby, nor would it be the 1st thing to pop into ones mind when thinking of Shelby.

resize.php

He was actually heavily involved in the development of the K-car Shelbys. He lead the program. So, yes, the K-cars are legitimate Shelby vehicles. Heck, the Shelby Charger Daytona was quicker than the C4 Corvette at the time.

If your follow up reply is that it doesn't say cobra anywhere on the car, then I guess it isn't a mustang either since that isn't found on the car.

Others beat me to it, but to reiterate, there IS a Mustang badge on it.

On topic; NO, the GT500 is NOT a Cobra! It is a GT500.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
They were never called cobras. They were always referred to as GT500s or GT350s.

That further proves my point, they were called cobras also (at least some of the models were). That's where the whole cobra naming scheme started from.

To further stir the pot, if anything, the 93-04 cobras weren't "true" cobras since it originated with the shelby cars.

Users who are viewing this thread