is a rear shock tower brace worth it?

nate714

Established Member
Piecing together my suspension setup still. So far I've ordered the eibach prokit springs and dampers, and BMR adjustable panhard bar. The boss strut tower brace made a world of difference when I put it on a while ago so I am wondering if a rear shock tower brace would also make a difference?

Bgoins

Established Member
I'm curious about this too, as well as the benefits of under-car chassis bracing from people that actually have them on their S197

vortecd

Established Member
Any bracing helps make the chassis stiffer. I have the Steeda one that bolts in and you don't have to ditch the rear seats. It also works good as a containment area between it and the seat to store things like bags with tools so they are not flying around your trunk

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-xbrace-0514coupe.html

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
I know the steeda rear X brace would make a huge difference, my question was regarding the smaller profile shock brace that just goes from tower to tower. I'm on the fence with the X brace because it seems like it'd diminish the already minimal ability to transport large packages. Although you do have a good point about keeping stuff from shifting in the trunk.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Are we all under the assumption that a stiffer rear end (springs, sways, bracing or otherwise) is beneficial on an open track given the S197 platforms bias?

agony

Established Member
I'm curious about this too, as well as the benefits of under-car chassis bracing from people that actually have them on their S197

I have the Kenny Brown Matrix Brace and I like it. It definitely stiffens the chassis but I mainly did it for the jacking rails. It is great being able to jack the car anywhere along the rocker panel and also not having to worry about f'ing up pinch welds.

Users who are viewing this thread