Is my belt slipping? *VIDEO*

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm curious to see what you think of this. I dyno'd my car a couple months ago and I wonder if what I'm noticing is belt slippage. In the video below, you can hear the blower whine tapering off just before the end of the pull. Another observer stated that he could actually see the belt stretching and thinning out.

The car has a BF 2.76 upper only, with a BF 100mm idler, and the correct sized belt to go with it (not sure what length it is, been on there for 3 years or so).

Would notching the tensioner help? Do I just need to get a new belt in the same length, or maybe a shorter one?

Here's the vid:

[youtube_browser]h4bFDZXt-9s[/youtube_browser]

JP_Stang

Established Member
It sounds like it is. You can hear how the blower's RPM stops climbing at the end of the pull. If you have had the same belt on there for 3 years, I would just try to swap that out with new one and see how she does. Where you always having this problem, or did it just start?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I can't watch the vid since I'm at work. But if you've had the belt on there for 3 years chances are it's done.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
It sounds like it is. You can hear how the blower's RPM stops climbing at the end of the pull. If you have had the same belt on there for 3 years, I would just try to swap that out with new one and see how she does. Where you always having this problem, or did it just start?

I don't know how long it's been doing it, I very rarely need (or want) to rev past 5k. Needless to say, I've got plenty of power regardless of whether the belt is slipping or not! :)

I can't watch the vid since I'm at work. But if you've had the belt on there for 3 years chances are it's done.

Belt replacement added to the to-do list! Can't hurt, right?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was trying to replace mine every 10-15k. But my blower decided it didn't want to stick around that long.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I don't know how long it's been doing it, I very rarely need (or want) to rev past 5k. Needless to say, I've got plenty of power regardless of whether the belt is slipping or not! :)

Wrong never enough power!!

But surely don't leave any power on the table..change that belt and shoot another video

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I happened to be passing through Detroit the other day, so I stopped by Billetflow to pick up the other 3 idler pulleys that I didn't have already. I've also ordered a new stock-length Gates belt from Amazon. Once I get that, I'll install it all and see if that makes any difference.

Another question: Can a blocked or restricted catalytic converter cause belt slippage due to too much flow restriction? I have a feeling one or both of my cats are blocked. I'll be removing them to have a look at the same time I install the pulleys.

Phil

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I installed my new stock-length belt and the new Billetflow idlers (2x100mm and 1x92mm to complete the 4-piece set) this evening. Haven't had a chance to see if it's made any difference, but the peace of mind is worth the price. I was a little freaked out after reading about how the stock idlers like to turn into shrapnel.

One of the things you'll notice with belt slip is you'll have belt dust all over the underside of the hood over the blower snout area. I'll try and remember to take a pick of mine. Mine is a dd so I don't really keep my engine bay as clean as you guys so I still haven't cleaned the belt dust off the hood from my old belt that I had replaced recently.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
One of the things you'll notice with belt slip is you'll have belt dust all over the underside of the hood over the blower snout area. I'll try and remember to take a pick of mine. Mine is a dd so I don't really keep my engine bay as clean as you guys so I still haven't cleaned the belt dust off the hood from my old belt that I had replaced recently.

Yeah, I was expecting to see rubber residue but there really wasn't anything noticeable. The tensioner wasn't at the end if its range of travel either. I figure it was only a matter of time before I'd start seeing those signs. At about $20 for a new belt, it's money well spent. The pulleys were just a "while I'm at it" thing.

Users who are viewing this thread