Is Raxiom the best option for upper nav?

JMack81

Established Member
I've read good things but has anyone used a different upper mounted nav replacement or upgrade to the Shaker radio with sync? Raxiom seems to be the solution but before I buy I thought I'd ask.

GB2011GT

Established Member
I was also looking for a setup with the nav close to the OEM location. After researching options, I ended up with the Maestro kit and a Kenwood headunit instead of the Raxiom. Install was straight forward and the quality is great. After living with it for a while, I like the location and the storage compartment with extra USB ports comes in handy. Just another option if you haven't checked it out. Here's a pic after I installed it.
e27e074e3c22dec6696d7fbda7201611.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

noldevin

Established Member
The Maestro kit with a nice Kenwood Nav is going to be your best option.
I've heard of some issues with the Raxiom one, though I also know people using it without issue.
The nice thing about the raxiom is it looks OEM. The downside is it doesn't actually improve the sound quality or features of the radio itself.

nate714

Established Member
I'd avoid the raxiom and the factory audio setup all together. Raxiom is the cheapest solution though if you just want a nav screen. I'm stoked with my alpine head unit. I didn't keep any of the factory audio except the steering wheel controls.

JMack81

Established Member
Right on. I went the Raxiom route. Should be here today. The Gen2 seems to be pretty solid but who knows. My issue with aftermarket is the location and non factory look. Back in the day, I was all about it but with the factory look being so sleek nowadays, I prefer that route over a new head unit. I can always add/replace speakers and amplifiers for the desired results. Radio reception kinda sucks on these things though. Maybe an antennae amp?

GB2011GT

Established Member
I like the OE finish of the Raxiom.
View attachment 87347
It's a nice looking setup, I just wish it brought more to the table. Plus I wasn't a fan of keeping the factory radio, knobs, etc if I was going through the trouble of upgrading. Regardless, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Evojayfi21

Established Member
I heard from a few people that the Raxiom is nice when it works. Its the mose OEM looking unit that Ive seen.

JMack81

Established Member
It's pretty cool now that I found the code to allow full functionality while in motion. The HDMI mirroring allows whatever is on my phone to be used by the screen. I can have my google maps up, facebook, movies or whatever else. I was thinking of installing a raspberry pi in place and making it a full computer I can run from within the car. Opens up options infinitely.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I like the factory like look of the radium but it needs a lot of improvements. having the display mounted so low doesn't work for me which is why I prefer the radium setup just because of where its located. its eye level, even the factor nav is too low

JMack81

Established Member
The raxiom is definitely no frills. I was thinking about maybe an old phone running some diagnostics app or something like that displayed on the screen. It doesn't take control away from audio sources and it's a high def screen. I might even do more with that. The stock features are non existent.

Users who are viewing this thread