is the 4v faster than a 2v

909cobra

Established Member
i say that a 4v is faster than a 2v...this guy says a 2v will be better because the 4v has no low end torque...which is better for a drag race???:bash:

9804SNAKES

Established Member
i say that a 4v is faster than a 2v...this guy says a 2v will be better because the 4v has no low end torque...which is better for a drag race???:bash:

Your kidding right? If you are talking 97 2 valve GT vs your 97 4 valve Cobra? It's not even a race. Tell your boy that stock the 97 Cobra has 305 HP and the GT had like 215. The 96-98 GT's get slammed left and right for being way underpowered until the 99's came out with revised heads and 260 HP.

Yeah 4 valve Cobras aren't known for their low end torque but they still have 300 ft lbs, where as the 2 valve is lucky if it can break 200 ft/lbs.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Dont tell your friend anything just race him and then let him tell you who he still thinks is faster..:burnout:

97cobraheaven

Established Member
if he tries to start adding mods that will easily beat you, just tell him mod for mod you will beat his ass!

tell him to throw a $4k supercharger on that GT of his and you go throw some $200 4.30s in your cobra and $300 tires and kick him in the balls when he cant pull on you

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Stock for stock, a 4v will be faster.

There is something to be said though for those cars when you get a good set of heads, an intake, and some boost in them. For how dirt cheap they can be purchased for these days I almost wish I had gone that route to begin with...

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
1st of all, just making a comment like " a 2v will be better because the 4v has no low end torque" shows that he really doesn't know what he is talking about. I can't think of one situation where EVERY factor was equal but one engine was 2v and the other was 4v and the 2v was "better". I doubt the guy in question was referring to a 96-98 GT. Most people know what those cars capabilities are, but if not, flash some loot and tell him to put up or shut up.

A 99-04 GT will put up a better fight due to the much improved head and intake design. But, in the end, with drivers being equal, the Cobra will still win every time.

sikcobra03

Established Member
when i used to have my stock 96 cobra vert.... i would pull the **** out of most of my friends lightly modded 04 coupes.... ur buddy is smokin crack

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I've driven a stock 98 cobra, and a stock 99 GT, no comparison. Cobra hands down. There is a reason why cobras dyno 30hp more.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
No torque? This is a cobra, not a fscking honda.

Just LOOK at a 2v engine, then at your cobras engine. Looks alone say enough.

Scientificially, a 4v is technicially an IMPROVED design on a 2v engine, so please have him explain how it is even possible to have a poor low end torque rating compared to the 2v the engine was built around? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Standard 24 valves was increased to 32 valves, thus the heads are much larger and meatier, and all around better built. A single overhead cam was changed to a quad cam setup (DOHC for you technicals). Thats FOUR cams. No low end torque my ASS. Its like my saying my lawn mower has more torque then a dirt bike.

Engine aside, there are SEVERAL other parts on the cobra that allow it to easily outperform a GT any day of the week.

Your friend, is a fantasticly full of shit. Tell him to down a nice tall glass of shut the fsck up. :beer:

Last edited:

FunkyBoss

Established Member
2v heads actually make pretty good torque, even the non-PI heads that came in the sn-95 GT. If I remember correctly, our b-headed 4v's are rated at 300 ft/lb at the flywheel and a PI GT is rated at 302, however, the GT typically puts down more peak torque on the dyno. I have owned both and agree, the GT will not win stock for stock, but a bolt-on PI GT will put up a good fight.

95PGTTech

Established Member
if you do the exact same modifications to a 2V and a 4V, with the exception of a few things (for example, if you put a throttle body on a 2V versus one on a 4V, the 2V is going to make bigger gains because the factory one sucked SO bad, versus the Cobra one is pretty damn good. regardless, even in these situations a 2V with a TB is still going to be a turd compared to a snake with a TB)

so as I was saying, with the exception of a few things the cobra motor is going to make bigger gains and always be faster...it comes down to airflow. that same airflow is what is going to cause a 2V to max out a lot sooner than a 4V. The 2V heads are the limiting factor of the motor.

351inside

Established Member
there is this guy living like 5 houses down from me, 97 gt, he is running 14.3's im pretty sure he has every bolt on there is, but ive seen him diving at the track and he can launch it pretty good, but he NEVER wanted to race me when my car was basically stock, i dunno why. Im sure he still had the stock head, the intake does not look like a pi intake, so i dunno, but i could be wrong.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
tell him to throw a $4k supercharger on that GT of his and you go throw some $200 4.30s in your cobra and $300 tires and kick him in the balls when he cant pull on you
No doubt. The comments that our cars have no torque is a stupid argument. We still have the 99-04 GT's by 15rwtq bone stock. My fastest gears are 1st and 2nd and that's where the GT's drop off after. A GT is dead in 3rd gear. Put gears in ours and we pull thru 4th decently. I'll race any bolton 99-04 GT that is n/a'd.

whitetrash1

Established Member
Your kidding right? If you are talking 97 2 valve GT vs your 97 4 valve Cobra? It's not even a race. Tell your boy that stock the 97 Cobra has 305 HP and the GT had like 215. The 96-98 GT's get slammed left and right for being way underpowered until the 99's came out with revised heads and 260 HP.

Yeah 4 valve Cobras aren't known for their low end torque but they still have 300 ft lbs, where as the 2 valve is lucky if it can break 200 ft/lbs.

my 98gt put down like 260ft/lbs

and 199hp:cryying:

uofipilot

Established Member
The 4-Valve can never lose!!!

But yeah, I love hearing "the sn95s have no torque." Actually, they have a buttload of torque, just not as much as they could have. 300 ft/lbs is nothing to shake a stick at, especially when you're rollin a honda.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
GT's can be nasty. A buddy of mine has a 2v putting down 380+rwhp, all motor....

was a stock 98 GT, now its a cammed 2v beast. Car runs 10.50's.....

Users who are viewing this thread