Is the cd player utiilty tray different?

delvin.a

Established Member
I recently purchased a NOS cd player and I am looking for the correct utility tray to go underneath. The one I have does not look right at all, I think it is from a 87-91 style of radio.

Any info on how to get one would be great

Thanks guys

:beer:

WillyB93

Established Member
There is 2 different cd players, one with a flat surrounding and the other non mustang cd player is bumped out around the face of the cd player. The tray should be the same if you have the correct cd player. I think you have gotten the wrong cd player, guys try to pass ones from Ethe ford cars as mustang cd players.

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
Here one that I may not be sure of.

Willy, did any of CD player equiped cobras come with EQ's under the CD Player.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Yeah you really have to be careful on ebay. I can tell you NONE of the ones listed as 93 Mustang cd players on there right now are actually for the 93 mustang. I'm not sure if they think that all 93 Ford Cd players are the same or they know and are just trying to make a buck.

Someone has been selling some on there a while back that looked like the right ones but there were using a stock photo every time so I didn't pick one up but I believe they were advertised as NOS.

93 was the first year for a cd player in the Mustang and maybe company wide so yours is probably actually newer. Does it plug in and work on your car? I've seen others on here use newer cd players, they just have to figure out a way to mount the lower tray.

WillyB93

Established Member
I am not for sure on the EQ I think those were just used in convert's?? I know on the cobras there is the amp underneath the passenger seat, and the wires run just by the hump of the tranny on passenger floor board. I ran into this issue when i was looking for a stock cd player for my red car and teal. I did by one of ebay for the teal with extra amp and wires from a guy with the username rooster6969 good honest guy great seller. here is that guys email address [email protected]

delvin.a

Established Member
It plugs right in and works great it just doesn't have the flat face. i think I may have a way to get in and looking very close to stock. I'm also looking into this rooster6969 dude, and a possible refund on this current cd player.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
They will work fine just wont match up with the dash well. If you want to keep it hit up your local junk yard and look for older ford cars like some of them had trays under the radios from the factory and they will push into the area under the radio to help hide the gap. Well good luck. Your local junk yard may just have on too

buddha93

Established Member
Here is the difference in the faceplate of the CD player:

1993 COBRA NOS CD PLAYER FACE GT LX CONVERTIBLE 5.0 93 - eBay (item 280360390043 end time Feb-08-11 18:16:52 PST)

If you notice, it has squared off corners, and there is a groove around the edge.This is the correct CD player you should be looking for.

These are the radios that everyone sells. The faceplate corners are rounded off, with no groove:

87-93 FORD MUSTANG 5.0 & COBRA FACTORY CD PLAYER~RARE!! - eBay (item 380309966808 end time Feb-19-11 19:52:39 PST)

buddha93

Established Member
BTW, I think a have a few of the trays in my boxes of stuff if you have trouble finding one.

buddha93

Established Member
One more question, do you guys know if just the face can be swapped over?

I was looking to do that, and I don't recall for sure. I've got a few radios, so I'll take a look when I get a chance and see what the deal was. I can tell you, it's not that hard to take them on and off, though I'm not sure if the correct faceplate will mate to the one you have now.

Users who are viewing this thread