Is the GT500 dead?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Personally I don't think it would be smart to discontinue the GT500 nameplate. Its been permanently linked, I believe, as the top tier mustang. While the GT350 is a welcome addition taking the boss 302's place it isn't the established halo mustang brand.

Especially knowing Carrol Shelby's personal daily driver was the GT500, Ford would not be making a smart move discontinuing it

With any luck, we won't have to wait long to see a new 500, perhaps they drop clues about it at the 350 reveal.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Personally I don't think it would be smart to discontinue the GT500 nameplate. Its been permanently linked, I believe, as the top tier mustang. While the GT350 is a welcome addition taking the boss 302's place it isn't the established halo mustang brand.

Especially knowing Carrol Shelby's personal daily driver was the GT500, Ford would not be making a smart move discontinuing it

With any luck, we won't have to wait long to see a new 500, perhaps they drop clues about it at the 350 reveal.

I don't think the 350 is taking the place of the Boss.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
The problem Ford had with the 500 was that they saturated the market and it no longer was a low number specialty car. I am not bashing the GT500, just wish they would have limited the numbers.
I think Ford could build a high horsepower Mustang without calling it a Shelby and still do very well, a true car hobbyist doesn't buy a car because of the name, they buy it because of what it offers.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The problem Ford had with the 500 was that they saturated the market and it no longer was a low number specialty car. I am not bashing the GT500, just wish they would have limited the numbers.
I think Ford could build a high horsepower Mustang without calling it a Shelby and still do very well, a true car hobbyist doesn't buy a car because of the name, they buy it because of what it offers.

They sold the crap out of the last few years. It's just smart business.

The 13/14 sold out (ok there's 130 of the 12k left). No reason from a business standpoint to not sell that many.

Ford isn't concerned with the car being rare in a few years. And if they made fewer- it would take longer to recoup the costs of it, and those costs would be passed on to the consumer in the form of a higher priced car.

That being said- I'd probably still be a buyer- and expect to see another GT500- sooner rather than later

91z28350

Established Member
I sure hope so. After driving the S550 today at the bucket list event here in Dallas, I am drooling at the prospect of a S550 GT500 as a stablemate for the '12. Is it too much to hope for an Eco-Boost 5.X?

Ubergeist

Established Member
I for one hope they continue to make it.

I do remember buying my brand new mustang GT for 22k in 2000. I miss those days. But look how much more you are getting in the GT nowadays? 6 cylinder has substantial more hp than my old GT did.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I for one hope they continue to make it.

I do remember buying my brand new mustang GT for 22k in 2000. I miss those days. But look how much more you are getting in the GT nowadays? 6 cylinder has substantial more hp than my old GT did.

So does a 4cyl ;)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I look at it this way, the mustang GT with performance sells for the same price as the 03 svt mustang did 12 years ago and destroys it in every single category. There is no way the 03 svt was performance bargain the the 15 GT is not.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I look at it this way, the mustang GT with performance sells for the same price as the 03 svt mustang did 12 years ago and destroys it in every single category. There is no way the 03 svt was performance bargain the the 15 GT is not.

Oh look another 5.0 bashing a terminator post again... Apples to oranges but thanks for continuing to keep it relevant even though it's a twelve year old car as you've so eloquently put it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Oh look another 5.0 bashing a terminator post again... Apples to oranges but thanks for continuing to keep it relevant even though it's a twelve year old car as you've so eloquently put it.
it's only apples to oranges because you feel the need to somehow defend that not-as-good car.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

If you don't see the relevance you're under quite the spell.

400hp
$35k
Rwd
Mustang.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I drove the S550 GT yesterday ( very nice feel improvements ) but the car wheel hopped extremely bad for my taste. If Ford plans on breathing a lot of HP and TQ, the rear will have to be dealt with first. I would like to add that it makes my 14 Shelby feel even more like a muscle car. My 2 cents.....

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I drove the S550 GT yesterday ( very nice feel improvements ) but the car wheel hopped extremely bad for my taste. If Ford plans on breathing a lot of HP and TQ, the rear will have to be dealt with first. I would like to add that it makes my 14 Shelby feel even more like a muscle car. My 2 cents.....

400hp
$35k
Rwd
Wheel hop
Mustang

Drawing even more comparisons to the 03/04 cobra now aren't we!

:)

Lemers

Established Member
Should it be an SVT, a cobra, a Shelby?

1. The Shelby name does not make the car cost more. Cars are designed to a price point. In the last GT500 it was a starting price of $55k (if it had Shelby on it or not)

2. The name does not change what the car is. If the last GT500 was called a Cobra it would have been the same.

3. The Shelby name is more recognized than SVT. Not gonna say the same about cobra though. Also what sounds better "I have a Shelby or Cobra" or "I have a ZL1 or Z28"? Enthusiasts know what you're talking about with the Camaros, but anyone who's watched Gone in 60 seconds knows what a Shelby is.

4. Any costs of using the name is speed across the advertising costs of all mustangs not the few thousand GT500s that are made every year.

5. The Halo mustang is in itself an advertisement for the mustang brand. It get magazines writing, movie cameos, and people talking about it.

I like the Shelby name because I connects the car to history and a cobra is an AC Cobra to me.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I was comparing price point after 12 years and they have the same 35k price point. That's damn good if you ask me!

Difference being the '03 with a $75.00 lightning pulley, a $300 tune and a $300 cat back would run 11.7s at 123, ask me how I know, lol.

Oh, and I'm not sure why, but I never had a wheel hop problem with my '03?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Difference being the '03 with a $75.00 lightning pulley, a $300 tune and a $300 cat back would run 11.7s at 123, ask me how I know, lol.

Oh, and I'm not sure why, but I never had a wheel hop problem with my '03?

I think a tune and a catback and a 5.0 is there as well

As for the wheelhop. I definately had it in my 03

Users who are viewing this thread