Is the GT500 dead?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think a tune and a catback and a 5.0 is there as well

As for the wheelhop. I definately had it in my 03

The one in the 2015 section that dyno'd 450 had long tubes.

The 03 was at 441 with the mods I listed, but the Term was lighter.

Edit: I do love the Coyote and it is remarkable that with an extra 1/2 liter it puts out the same HP N/A as a 4.6 at 13 psi. Truely a quantum leap.

I'm sure the S550 is an improvement over the S197, which was an improvement over the SN95, but I don't see the giant leap that I see in the power plant.

I am still hopeful that Ford or SVT or whoever is in charge of the top line version has some tricks up their sleeve. Both with the front fascia and some weight reduction.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The GT350 is supposed to preview tomorrow. ( 2016 MY )... I hope this SVT offering is what everyone hopes it will be.
The fact that there is no 2015 GT500, makes my 14 that much more special. ( to me anyhow )
If Ford decides to bring back the GT500, it won't be for several years.
My .02

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Edit: I do love the Coyote and it is remarkable that with an extra 1/2 liter it puts out the same HP N/A as a 4.6 at 13 psi. Truely a quantum leap.

I'm sure the S550 is an improvement over the S197, which was an improvement over the SN95, but I don't see the giant leap that I see in the power plant.

I am still hopeful that Ford or SVT or whoever is in charge of the top line version has some tricks up their sleeve. Both with the front fascia and some weight reduction.

Lighter by about 50lbs if that comparing to a base GT with performance and recaros.

It will have tricks!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

I'd say Hellion's 950hp at 17psi is pretty impressive for the basically stock new motor.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Tob linked the site.
9 am tomorrow the 5th and final video will be revealed. I wonder if there will be a leak tonight.
S.

I saw the link Tob put up Sean. So I have to keep hitting refresh all morning, lol. I would hope teaser 5 shows up tonight.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I saw the link Tob put up Sean. So I have to keep hitting refresh all morning, lol. I would hope teaser 5 shows up tonight.
You will probably be among 50,000 other people hitting "refresh" starting at 8:59, lol.
I drop one of my kids off at school right at that time, so 49,999 will know what it is before me. :D
S.

mike69440

Established Member
Wheel Hop with IRS

Difference being the '03 with a $75.00 lightning pulley, a $300 tune and a $300 cat back would run 11.7s at 123, ask me how I know, lol.

Oh, and I'm not sure why, but I never had a wheel hop problem with my '03?

So the 2015 wheel Hps? Not much new in 13 years?

My expereience with my 03 is that it hopped bad at stock power levels.

If you used the go pedal to regulate wheel hop, on the right surface, in warm weather, you could stop the wheel hop by spinning the tires hard.

Wheel hop is bad just when the tires start to break free.

Also my 03 hops bad in cold weather.

mike69440

Established Member

Original 03 Heaton was a panting dog, It would be nice to have a HD version of the cyoote for boosted applications in a new model Mustang, that way you feel safe with a FR Blower add on.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The problem Ford had with the 500 was that they saturated the market...

Saturated the market? How many GT500s were made throughout the '07 - '14 model run versus all other Mustangs? Now spread that number throughout the globe. That's what you call market saturation?

mavisky

Established Member
Well, I personally hope that we see the GT350 and GT500 out together. The 350 as the proper road course car, and the 500 slotted above it as the King mustang. Since Mustang is now a global car, the brand appeal of a "Shelby GT500" in Europe or Asia could be a hot seller. I think it would be brand suicide if they DIDNT release the GT500, and only had the GT350 as the Halo car. Sides, John Q. Public might look at the two and ask how a 350 is better than a 500.

Marketing suicide would be releasing two top range models for the Mustang at the same time. Launching a GT350 side by side with a GT500 would dillute the sales of both. Releasing the 350 now and the 500 next year keeps that from happening.

Look at the timing of the Boss release as compared to the release of the 13-14 GT500 as an example.

The Stingray holds true to this as well, as does Porsche. Every year Porsche has a new model coming out.

911 launches with the Carrera / Carrera S and the Carrera 4/ Carrera 4 s.
Then it's the Turbo
Then the GT3
Then the Targa
Then the GTS
THen the GT3 RS
Then possibly a GT2
Then they release a new re-design and repeat the process.

Launching all of those cars at once means that two years into your 6-7 year product plan you've got nothing to release.

Lemers

Established Member
We are not talking about large numbers here. Releasing both won't dilute the market. If it did then the GT350 would go away when the GT500 gets released. What I believe prevents both models at the same time is scheduling, R/D resourcing, and time releasing models keeps then mustang relivent.

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
Sometimes it's not even about cannibalizing sales, but keeping the brand and the model in the news rotation. If you don't have a new model to talk about for 12 months then people forget you even make it. Hell the Ranger suffered from this for the longest time. No major changes or updates and many people were surprised to find out it was still being made even.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We are not talking about large numbers here. Releasing both won't dilute the market. If it did then the GT350 would go away when the GT500 gets released. What I believe prevents both models at the same time is scheduling, R/D resourcing, and time releasing models keeps then mustang relivent.

The way I see it is Ford built 4k ish GT500's per year for the 13/14 model years. They had something like less than 100 left on lots after they stopped production. Seems to me there were just enough people willing to buy a $55k+ mustang. Release 2 of them at a time and you would probably sell a few more total, but split between the two models unevenly. Not many people can afford a brand new $55k+ car, plus insurance, gas, and maintenance

Edit: plus I agree that staggering the models helps keep up interest in the mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread