Is this a bad throw out bearing?

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
My transmission started making this noise about 400 miles ago. When you hear the noise stop the clutch is pushed in. It makes the noise in every gear. The transmission is an RPM Transmissions stage IV T56 with a Centerforce DFX clutch. I'm really hoping its just a TOB. Thanks for looking guys.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-qWroxA0Y"]YouTube - Bad throwout bearing?[/nomedia]

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Definitely. Sounds like mine before I replaced that and every other required part in that section of the drivetrain. No more racket.

Go 26 spline and don't look back. The D&D retainer is a lot cheaper than Lethals and D&D makes theirs.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
Definitely. Sounds like mine before I replaced that and every other required part in that section of the drivetrain. No more racket.

Go 26 spline and don't look back. The D&D retainer is a lot cheaper than Lethals and D&D makes theirs.

Ok, thanks. I've got a 26 spline already. What did you replace besides the TOB?

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Oh, and FRPP or the D&D ones are the only ones most think should be used. The other ones fail big time early.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. This is what I found yesterday. Ordered new parts from Steve at Tousley at a great price so thanks again to those guys.

Bent lip on the TOB and it's rotation was off centered.
74a6f30e.jpg

This piece was broken off.
762a713e.jpg

And the clutch fork was chewed up with the pivot ball clip broken.
6aba6e6f.jpg

6e1362fc.jpg

Anybody know what this little ring is for? I found it on the ground after I had dropped the transmission but I have no idea where it came from.
1d0b9085.jpg

Last edited:

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
My Cobra has the same sound so I'm gonna leave it parked until I get a new TOB and Billet Sleeve from Lethal. I'll be following this post to see how it all turns out when you get it back together. Please try to post another video after it's all buttoned back.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
My Cobra has the same sound so I'm gonna leave it parked until I get a new TOB and Billet Sleeve from Lethal. I'll be following this post to see how it all turns out when you get it back together. Please try to post another video after it's all buttoned back.

Sure thing man. If you are getting an FRPP TOB Tousley has them for $44+shipping. My parts should be in Friday so unless I go fishing this weekend I should have it back together Saturday or Sunday.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
Sorry man but that didn't fix the noise. It does drive like a whole new car with a new TOB and clutch fork, it has half the pedal effort now. Looks like it's going to be something inside the trans now.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Wow that sux! I'll still be following the thread becuz I'm sure you'll figure it out. Keep us posted and GL.

Users who are viewing this thread