Is this beast daily worthy

LOPSI

SVT Goon
Established Member
I am on the fence on buying one solely because I dont think it would handle snow very well. Live in Maryland. Any owners daily drive this monster?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I daily drive my modded 13 and it puts a smile on my face everyday. I can't speak for snow because I'm in FL, but other than my stock battery going @ 34,000 miles I've had no issues w/ reliability.

paluka21

Established Member
IMO don't buy a GT500 if you're worried about snow/ice, especially here in Maryland. I personally would never drive a GT500 in those kind of conditions as you're asking for a wrecked car.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I am on the fence on buying one solely because I dont think it would handle snow very well. Live in Maryland. Any owners daily drive this monster?

Just put on a good set of snow tires, use common sense and you'll be fine.

paluka21

Established Member
Yeah, OP just buy some snow tires like that and you'll be good to go, especially in icy conditions we tend to get in Maryland!

4x4-vette-2.jpg

Just from experience driving these cars, IMO don't even consider driving the Shelby when the roads get covered in snow or ice regardless of what tires you have. The torque these things make do not go hand in hand with a DD in inclement weather.
But, it's ultimately your money, your car, and your life. Just stay away from me on the highways when it's snowing or sleeting! :p

Last edited:

RBB

Established Member
As others have said, not a good DD vehicle if you live in MD. I"m in NOVA and I do put a set of winter tires on my Shelby, but I still only drive it on clear days. It would be awful to drive, even with the proper tires, when there's snow and ice on the road. When the roads are bad I drive my beater Civic. Get the Shelby, drive it when the roads are clear and get yourself a cheap beater to drive when the roads are in bad shape.

Softballer77

Established Member
I couldn't DD mine. If I had to have just one car I'd go challenger hellcat 8 speed.

A Hellcat would be better in the snow?? I DD mine all the time. Love being the only one at work with a 10sec DD.

And yep!!! I've driven it in the snow! lol (wasn't by choice though...I'm the 4th one back with the red stripes)

1484681_10153109601233480_1086508704174373570_n.jpg

SVT_28

Established Member
For what it's worth, I live in NOVA and had my 2010 gt500 as a daily driver last year for winter and couldn't get it out of my complex when it snowed. In my opinion it's not worth the risk even with snow tires, which also don't do anything for ice. I would consider snow, ice and salt/sand on the car. I recently traded for a 2014 gt500 and over the summer bought a daily driver off craigslist for cheap. This would be my recommondation for you if you got a Shelby as a daily driver. Get another cheap car for bad weather. don't waste money on snow tires, put it towards a beater.

rdrkt

Established Member
A Hellcat would be better in the snow??
It allows you to dial down the power to something like 500. Between that, tires, and better traction control you could successfully argue it would behave better in the snow

I remember a guy on the forums talking about running snow tires on his 13 and driving it year round. As long as it doesn't snow more than an inch or two I think it would be possible. But any real snow and you'd be stuck. Also as others have stated. Why take the risk?

Last edited:

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
If you have the money to buy one of these cars, you can spend $500-1k for a winter beater.

Just sayin...

Lol.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have the money to buy one of these cars, you can spend $500-1k for a winter beater.

Just sayin...

Lol.
Exactly.
I was young and dumb and stretched all my budget to DD an '01 Cobra back in school, but after 2 winters the best mod I ever did was a $800 Accord winter beater.
I personally wouldn't want the Shelby as my only vehicle---it's a pleasure car and although it's capable to be a DD it wouldn't be as enjoyable to me.
My next DD will likely be the Jeep GC Trackhawk :)
-J
:beer:

carguy19

Established Member
I wouldn't drive my 14 when I owned it in the rain, never mind the winter weather. Even just cold temps and no snow, the car doesn't work well.

Softballer77

Established Member
I have a '14 Jeep GC Overland with the Diesel as well, and let me tell ya, it's been awesome. 420lb torque and I got 30.3 mpg from SoCal to northern Colorado last year in it loaded, climate control on auto and cruise control on (except going through the rockies). Can't beat that for a 4x4 imo.

I don't daily my Shelby in the snow. I don't daily it in the rain. But I do daily it in general and it has seen rain and in the picture up top, once it saw snow. With the MPSSs, it was great. My choice for bad weather? Totally not. But it's capable and that's what I like about it. For a vehicle that has over 800 horse, I can drive in weather, have people in the back seat, pick up groceries and run 10s on the weekend, well...it's awesome, and I wouldn't trade it for much of anything else. :)

MattR

Established Member
I have put 300k on Mustangs daily driving them In Michigan. Bridgestone Blizzaks and a couple salt or sand bags in the trunk. Ground clearance makes deep snow tough. With a stock engine tune I wouldn't worry about that, tuned they seem to have more issues. Can you do it? Yes. If I had a choice, heck no. Pick up a fwd car.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I have put 300k on Mustangs daily driving them In Michigan. Bridgestone Blizzaks and a couple salt or sand bags in the trunk. Ground clearance makes deep snow tough. With a stock engine tune I wouldn't worry about that, tuned they seem to have more issues. Can you do it? Yes. If I had a choice, heck no. Pick up a fwd car.

My Shelby has seen rain once on the day it was delivered to Italy (figures) This morning, I just put Blizzaks on my '15 Fiesta ST - this is a killer DD for all seasons. Good luck with your choice OP.

Users who are viewing this thread