Issue with 2011 Edge (water leak)

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
My wife's 2011 edge had its first problem yesterday. When making turns she notices some sloshing noises coming from the lower dash. Making sharp turns would even result in some water splashing on her feet. Both the drive and passenger side floormats are wet. The heat also stopped working which makes me think it might be an issue with the heater core. Either that, or there is a leak in the lower windshield. Anyone else think there might be anything else wrong? Car is still under warranty so we should be all set. I just want to know what it is.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I'm sure if you take it to the dealer they'll let you know what they fixed, but yes, sounds like the heater core or something around it like the lines.

jcthorne

Established Member
Plugged or kinked drain line from the HVAC unit. The hose that drains water on the ground when you have the ac running. It also drains small coolant leaks. If its sloshing and splashing, the drain is blocked.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I've had dozens of those come in with restricted evaporator drains. I haven't had a 2011 yet, but it's possible. The drain is on the driver's side of the trans tunnel and IS NOT accessible from under the car (Ford :rollseyes).

Remove the trim from the front of the center console on the drivers side - it just pulls off. Behind it will be another small panel that covers the drain hose. The S-shaped hose runs from the front of the HVAC case down along the trans tunnel and disappears behind that panel. Detach the hose and apply a blast of compressed air - not a can, use an actual air compressor. Then VERY QUICKLY reattach the hose or be prepared to deal with 1-2 GALLONS of water in the interior.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I've had dozens of those come in with restricted evaporator drains. I haven't had a 2011 yet, but it's possible. The drain is on the driver's side of the trans tunnel and IS NOT accessible from under the car (Ford :rollseyes).

Remove the trim from the front of the center console on the drivers side - it just pulls off. Behind it will be another small panel that covers the drain hose. The S-shaped hose runs from the front of the HVAC case down along the trans tunnel and disappears behind that panel. Detach the hose and apply a blast of compressed air - not a can, use an actual air compressor. Then VERY QUICKLY reattach the hose or be prepared to deal with 1-2 GALLONS of water in the interior.

Good to know this seems like its going to be an easy fix... if this is such a common problem I am surprised that ford hasn't issued a recall on this... what is it that is clogging the lines?

mrlrd1

Established Member
Good to know this seems like its going to be an easy fix... if this is such a common problem I am surprised that ford hasn't issued a recall on this... what is it that is clogging the lines?

Recall? It's not a safety issue...

The clogging comes from leaf litter and random debris that gets into the HVAC case. I gets damp, molds, and plugs up the drain.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Recall? It's not a safety issue...

The clogging comes from leaf litter and random debris that gets into the HVAC case. I gets damp, molds, and plugs up the drain.

You were right about the pipe being clogged... my second question is how much is this to fix out of warranty? Dealership told me the blower was gone also. I haven't gotten the extended warranty on the car yet and I wasn't going to. But if this is going to happen every 30k miles... might be worth it.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I charge 0.5 hour for this. If it were a vehicle that had the drain accessible from under the car, it's usually done free of charge if the vehicle is in for other services.

Blower motor failure only happens if the motor sits in water for a prolonged period. I've only had to replace maybe 4-5 blower motors due to a clogged drain. The motors are not awfully expensive and are very easy to replace, so this problem alone IMO doesn't warrant the extended service plan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread