Issues engaging 2nd/3rd

NotSatisfied

Established Member
The car I recently bought from a member on here seems to be having issues engaging mainly second gear and sometimes 3rd at any speed/Rpm. When I asked him about it he said that I probably need to adjust the clutch cable at the firewall (aftermarket). Car also has an ACT twin disc and Pro5.0.

Any advice would help.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
assuming it has a firewall adjuster - if you pull on the collar on the clutch cable (toward the front of the car) there should be about the thickness of a dime worth of slack between it and the face of the adjuster.

If you google Promotion Powertrain they have a video that demonstrates it (its been a few years since I've watched it, I assume it's still out there)

NotSatisfied

Established Member
assuming it has a firewall adjuster - if you pull on the collar on the clutch cable (toward the front of the car) there should be about the thickness of a dime worth of slack between it and the face of the adjuster.

If you google Promotion Powertrain they have a video that demonstrates it (its been a few years since I've watched it, I assume it's still out there)

Cool thank you!

Is it possible it could be an adjustment issue?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Cool thank you!

Is it possible it could be an adjustment issue?

it could be.

If that doesnt fix it then personally I'd probably dump whatever trans fluid is in there and put some fresh in it to the proper fill. If Tremec's new high performance transmission fluid is good in the standard T56 I would try that if you can find it. My magnum T56 shifts better with it, I know the standard T56 is different but mine absolutely hated royal purple.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
it could be.

If that doesnt fix it then personally I'd probably dump whatever trans fluid is in there and put some fresh in it to the proper fill. If Tremec's new high performance transmission fluid is good in the standard T56 I would try that if you can find it. My magnum T56 shifts better with it, I know the standard T56 is different but mine absolutely hated royal purple.
Thanks man...... one day the sun will come out for me :)

NotSatisfied

Established Member
it could be.

Man cant find that stuff anywere. I think Granatelli has it but its 50 more per case.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm not a believer on fluid ,

Mine is original, plus the 1 quart I did throw in when I had front cover off for sleeve

Clutch adjustment is 99 out of 100,,
1 will be a sticky cable.

I was a winner on stiff cable.
Even new out of box,

Simple remove cable and flood it with wd40 inside ..

What sucked the most ,
I replaced Clutch thinking it was bad,
Than cable.

And all along it was cable sticking ,

I'm happy now with changes I made ,
I have a under the car manual adjustment cable,,
Single hook quadrant, and to me it feels so easy to shift with almost no leg pressure like before ..

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not a believer on fluid ,

Mine is original, plus the 1 quart I did throw in when I had front cover off for sleeve

Clutch adjustment is 99 out of 100,,
1 will be a sticky cable.

I was a winner on stiff cable.
Even new out of box,

Simple remove cable and flood it with wd40 inside ..

What sucked the most ,
I replaced Clutch thinking it was bad,
Than cable.

And all along it was cable sticking ,

I'm happy now with changes I made ,
I have a under the car manual adjustment cable,,
Single hook quadrant, and to me it feels so easy to shift with almost no leg pressure like before ..

the previous owner has clearly not taken proper care of the car, wouldn't surprise me if it had shitty fluid in it and/or too much/not enough

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
it could be.

Mine loved it. OP, check out the shift detent mod thread.

LS WUT

Established Member
Man.. everytime I see your name pop up it’s something else wrong with the car. I feel for you on so many levels.. how discouraging it must be to have this many issues with a car before you can even enjoy it. Hats off to you for keeping your head in it and knocking it out. Always go for the easy stuff first. Adjusting the cable, etc. it’s mostly the common things we overlook.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Man.. everytime I see your name pop up it’s something else wrong with the car. I feel for you on so many levels.. how discouraging it must be to have this many issues with a car before you can even enjoy it. Hats off to you for keeping your head in it and knocking it out. Always go for the easy stuff first. Adjusting the cable, etc. it’s mostly the common things we overlook.

I know it. It is what it is. I enjoy working on cars, I don’t enjoy dumping money into them. I don’t believe the seller was 100% transparent, took advantage of the current market and unloaded it. I don’t know how some people can sleep knowing they ****ed someone.

I’ll fix it. Eventually. He also wanted “the first dibs to buy it back”… I’ll light this thing on fire before I do that. So far the list is:

Fuses Blown
Mangled Interior Harness
Belt Pulleys Misaligned
Fuel Return Line Sitting on the Exhaust
O2 Sensors not screwed in
Spindles missing Cotter Pins
Failed Blower Snout
Busted Intercooler
Front Suspension Clank/Pops
Transmission Grinding
Needs Alignment/ Steering wheel is no where near straight driving down road
Paint Patches Not Discussed but Obvious in person

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
I know it. It is what it is. I enjoy working on cars, I don’t enjoy dumping money into them. I don’t believe the seller was 100% transparent, took advantage of the current market and unloaded it. I don’t know how some people can sleep knowing they ****ed someone.

I’ll fix it. Eventually. He also wanted “the first dibs to buy it back”… I’ll light this thing on fire before I do that. So far the list is:

Fuses Blown
Mangled Interior Harness
Belt Pulleys Misaligned
Fuel Return Line Sitting on the Exhaust
O2 Sensors not screwed in
Spindles missing Cotter Pins
Failed Blower Snout
Busted Intercooler
Front Suspension Clank/Pops
Transmission Grinding
Needs Alignment/ Steering wheel is no where near straight driving down road
Paint Patches Not Discussed but Obvious in person

God bless man, your username truly does fit the car then. Sorry, had to make light of the moment. All of the things you listed aren’t terrible, however should have been laid out for the new seller to be open, and honest about. Unfortunately the market really made people see more money, than anything else. I get trying to make good money for these cars. However I won’t sell someone a car if I know it has a problem.

MG0h3

Established Member
Well who was the seller cause damn!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread