It's almost Steak Sunday @ Uncle Meat's!!!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It only takes a few minutes to get the pot/container up to temp. I just turn my faucet on hot and fill it. I have found the sweet spot to get the water to like 126-130. If it goes too high I put cold water in it to knock it down quickly.
Once it's within a few degrees it takes only a few minutes to get to target temperature. It's usually ready before I have my steaks packed up and ready for a bath.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member

SVTFastBack

Established Member
I've never really eat steak, Not a vegan by any means or anything I just don't really like a lot of meats except maybe a burger once a month maybe. I know the differences between the meat colors and I know its not blood, but does like medium-rare "really" just melt away in your mouth? like really well made roast beef and have a texture that does not look as it is? I always see these kind of posts and just know its not for me, i'm the idiot that likes a bit tougher meat cooked a bit beyond pink esp on steaks and like them really thin, but I like that flavor and don't need the "super" juicy or just fall apart aspect of it.

nxhappy

Established Member
we enjoy a tri-tip once or twice a month. It's one of the best things in life...besides beer and pussy LOL

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member

Uncle Meat

Established Member
On a different but related note these babies just arrived on Friday. These are USDA Prime ribeyes that have been dry aged for 45 days. I've never tried dry aged steak before and it's supposed to be the shiznit. If it's as good as they claim I may end up building my own aging rig and start dry aging beef at home. These came from the Chicago Steak Company and they cost almost as much as Waygu.

Maybe I'll dry age some Wagyu? LOL!

U.M.

Here's what dry aging is in case you want to know.
dry_aged.jpg

Uncle Meat

Established Member
You can order it online and have it delivered.
Unfortunately I cannot. I live in Alabama which is still suffering under some stupid archaic old blue laws. Can't buy alcohol on Sunday and you can't send or receive any alcoholic beverages via USPS. None of the online wine/alcohol vendors will ship to Alabama.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
U.M., that's some impressive dry-aged steak. Good that you know how to cook it properly because at those prices, you DON'T want to overcook.

How much do you think you spend in a year for steaks?

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
On a different but related note these babies just arrived on Friday. These are USDA Prime ribeyes that have been dry aged for 45 days. I've never tried dry aged steak before and it's supposed to be the shiznit. If it's as good as they claim I may end up building my own aging rig and start dry aging beef at home. These came from the Chicago Steak Company and they cost almost as much as Waygu.

Maybe I'll dry age some Wagyu? LOL!

U.M.

Here's what dry aging is in case you want to know.
View attachment 1470739
Try some dry aged Ribeyes, you'll like 'em.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
How much do you think you spend in a year for steaks?
Well.... I've gone a bit overboard this year to be honest. My current freezer inventory contains:

2 16oz Gold Grade Wagyu Ribeyes
2 32oz Black Grade Wagyu Porterhouse
2 8oz Gold Grade Manhattan NY Filets'
2 16oz USDA Prime Ribeyes dry aged 45 days

I probably drop a grand or so on premium steaks each year depending on how many visitors I entertain.

Try some dry aged Ribeyes, you'll like 'em.
I'm going to! That's why I bought them!! :p

U.M.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Whole foods also carries dry aged steaks. I was impressed with them, they definitely have a deeper flavor to them and are very tender.

They were about $20/lbs or so when I picked them up.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Whole foods also carries dry aged steaks. I was impressed with them, they definitely have a deeper flavor to them and are very tender.

They were about $20/lbs or so when I picked them up.
Someone told us a while back that Whole Foods also carries Wagyu. We have a brand new Whole Foods in town that hasn't been open for more than 8 months now. When the wife and I went there to look at steaks they had Jack Shit to choose from. Was really a piss poor selection of low grade beef. We haven't been back since. Maybe its gotten better and we need to go look again?

U.M.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Someone told us a while back that Whole Foods also carries Wagyu. We have a brand new Whole Foods in town that hasn't been open for more than 8 months now. When the wife and I went there to look at steaks they had Jack Shit to choose from. Was really a piss poor selection of low grade beef. We haven't been back since. Maybe its gotten better and we need to go look again?

U.M.
It's my understanding that they changed their stock ordering process since Amazon picked them up and it royally ****ed up everything.

The first time I went, they had almost nothing, I wasn't buying as we were there with a buddy and I was just poking around. The second time I went they were loaded to the gills with nice cuts for ok-ish prices.

I'm not saying their quality is going to touch SRF but $20/lbs for dry aged (choice, they don't age prime) isn't a bad deal. I'd like to have a side by side comparison of a dry aged choice cut vs a prime cut sometime but I try not to spend big money on food. It's one of the places I can accidentally over do it so I'm actively working against it lol.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I've been absolutely digging my Anova Sous Vide cooker. I'll start to take pictures of some of my things now that I've learned the ways. Cooking chicken breast at 140* for a couple hours is a thing of beauty... It was like butter.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Okay, I couldn't wait. I had to try the Dry Aged USDA Prime Ribeyes. They have a distinct flavor. I expected it to be more "ripe" but it was not. Meat was very tender. However when compared to Wagyu which is almost the same price per pound I think I'd rather spend the extra couple bucks for the stuff from SRF than the Dry Aged Beef from the Chicago Steak Company. Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose between a regular USDA Prime steak and one that has been dry aged 45 days I'd take the dry aged one every time. It's good, just not Waygu good. Enjoy my Sunday Steak Feast!

U.M.

IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4300.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 38