Its Clutch time Suggestions ?

my98stang46

Established Member
that bad huh? now i did see a vette in your sig so that would be like going back to the stone age clutch wise lol what was so bad about it ?

Yeah the Z has a twin disc and hydraulic clutch. Breathe on it and the pedal moves. I hated the spec stage 3 because if felt more like I was stretching the cable than moving the diaphragm spring. My wife has driven my friends cobra with a stock clutch w/o any problems. With the stage 3 she couldn't push down the pedal without pulling on the steering wheel to help. She's 110 pounds. The clutch pedal articulation was smooth but it did chatter a little on engagement. I bought the McLeod rst and it's VERY nice, Smooth engagement and a very soft pedal. It's actually nice to drive the car without such a stiff clutch. There is nothing wrong with the clutch itself (spec) it just doesn't do what I want very well at all and that is, make my car comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with the clutch itself (spec) it just doesn't do what I want very well at all and that is, make my car comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

That is exactly how i feel i want a comfortable fun drive. I don't what chatter or a wrestling match with my left foot. Leaning towards stock on a mcleod. I have had used a spec before and liked it but on a whole diff beast of a trans. I was hoping the stage 2+ would possibly be less race oriented.

TRBO VNM

Jason, nothing directed towards you bud. But hey while we are on the topic, I highly suggest you look into another clutch. I had the 4.3 and it failed bad! Tore the hub out of it and my car makes less power then yours. I know I talked to you about it before. Also the street manners are semi crappy because it has no marcel spring. All in all it's just a cheap clutch. You don't get much life out of it before the rivets that hold the pucks to the disk dig into the flywheel and pp. Throw that LCD free play in the trash! It's useless when the clutch is adjusted correctly.

Oh yeah, I remember and am cautious with mine. I expect it to fail, so I don't plan on having it in long. I will probably change it this winter. Since the car doesn't see a lot of miles, I didn't see a need to change it before my tuning was done. But I will put something else in this winter. IMO, the pedal effort on mine is butter, but agree the street manors could be better. That said, the DFX has been by far my worst experience for street manners. The spec 5 was better for me than the DFX. Which is odd because most people like the DFX. Mine just got worse and worse with chatter with the miles I put on it.

Oh yeah, the freeplay kit...meh, I know and I adjust mine so much it doesn't matter, but I have it more for peace of mind as well for customers, plus it is cheap.

Yeah installing it isn't an issue at all weve done probably thousands of clutch installs lol. Just new to the t-56 .

correction pops has done thousands, i've probably only been around for 50 or so

I am talking about the input shaft, not the clutch install. you asked about the input shaft and so I responded to that.

I had a spec stage 3 in mine and I fackin HATED that mf'er. Rst Ftw!

interesting. Similar to my DFX experience. Most people liked the DFX, but my experience was horrible. I had a spec 3 in my car when I bought it and it was by far the smoothest engaging and easiest to drive clutch I have owned aside from factory.

Last edited:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Yea, spec is fail throughout their entire line of clutch products. I had a spec in my fox a long time ago. It was the biggest pos every! I did not even finish the break in on it. 250 miles or less. It chattered so bad it would make my hatch rattle. This was a stage 2.

Jason, regarding your bad luck with the dfx, sometimes you just get a bad clutch... With that said, I've been told I just got a bad 4.3. But that's not the case. The construction of the disk is incorrect. That's why it failed. Fidanza even told me it was there fault. As to pedal effort with the Fidanza, it was pretty soft. I did like that!

When you do upgrade don't go twin disk! I'm not saying the rst/rxt is a bad product. It's def a great clutch. But I do not understand the hype on the twin disk bs. You can get single disk clutches that hold the power with light pedal effort. What people forget is the twin disk is heaver. Thus your increasing rotating mass. The worst thing you can do is increase rotating mass. It robs so much power! Steel flywheel+twin disk= how much added weight?

The LCD only makes more restance when you push the clutch in...

Btw Jason, very very nice numbers on the new motor! I'm sure it runs very well! Glad to see your rocking the eaton!

Oh yeah, I remember and am cautious with mine. I expect it to fail, so I don't plan on having it in long. I will probably change it this winter. Since the car doesn't see a lot of miles, I didn't see a need to change it before my tuning was done. But I will put something else in this winter. IMO, the pedal effort on mine is butter, but agree the street manors could be better. That said, the DFX has been by far my worst experience for street manners. The spec 5 was better for me than the DFX. Which is odd because most people like the DFX. Mine just got worse and worse with chatter with the miles I put on it.

Oh yeah, the freeplay kit...meh, I know and I adjust mine so much it doesn't matter, but I have it more for peace of mind as well for customers, plus it is cheap.

I am talking about the input shaft, not the clutch install. you asked about the input shaft and so I responded to that.

interesting. Similar to my DFX experience. Most people liked the DFX, but my experience was horrible. I had a spec 3 in my car when I bought it and it was by far the smoothest engaging and easiest to drive clutch I have owned aside from factory.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
The rst seems like a really nice piece, the price tag is def up there but if I was to spend more hopefully I can get some decent mileage do the mcleod last as long as a factory clutch? Any experience with that?

TRBO VNM

Yea, spec is fail throughout their entire line of clutch products. I had a spec in my fox a long time ago. It was the biggest pos every! I did not even finish the break in on it. 250 miles or less. It chattered so bad it would make my hatch rattle. This was a stage 2.

Jason, regarding your bad luck with the dfx, sometimes you just get a bad clutch... With that said, I've been told I just got a bad 4.3. But that's not the case. The construction of the disk is incorrect. That's why it failed. Fidanza even told me it was there fault. As to pedal effort with the Fidanza, it was pretty soft. I did like that! I want to try that pro motion next and get a fidanza aluminum flywheel

When you do upgrade don't go twin disk! I'm not saying the rst/rxt is a bad product. It's def a great clutch. But I do not understand the hype on the twin disk bs. You can get single disk clutches that hold the power with light pedal effort. What people forget is the twin disk is heaver. Thus your increasing rotating mass. The worst thing you can do is increase rotating mass. It robs so much power! Steel flywheel+twin disk= how much added weight?

Btw Jason, very very nice numbers on the new motor! I'm sure it runs very well! Glad to see your rocking the eaton!

Thats what's odd, I have never had spec clutch issues. Every one I have installed, people love them. lighter pedal than stock(some people even told me they won't be able to drive it when they are backing off the lift and feel like they will put the pedal through the floor). But yeah, I understand some people will just get a bad clutch and maybe your experiences with spec have all been negative. My only negavtive was with the 5 and not liking the squeal it makes. I will never own another one of those.

Rotating mass...yeah, don't remind me. I have a steel flywheel because of the turbo I had before and again, just wanted the car done and on the dyno. It will be interesting when I put an aluminum in, to see if/what hp differences I have. No need for twin disc on my end. No where near enough power for that.

And thanks, those numbers should be better next time I go to the dyno. I peaked 17# and rolled off to 14#, which I shouldn't lose that much. My belt was loose. I was so concerned about getting everything else done that I forgot to order a tighter belt. My tensioner was definitely on the loose side when we checked it on the dyno. With going in cooler weather, tighter belt and dynojet, I should make these internet racers happy and looking for that 600 with the eaton. :D

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Oh ok I see that now trbo vnm, but I've done a stock replacement input on a saleen that he ended up snapping again he had a centerfore and that's the experience that kinda turned me away I don't want something that will grab that hard granted he had about 700 ft lbs.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Oh and on another note since y'all are obviously very fanilar with clutches for these cars what is the near bet for replacement of flywheel I also searched and saw that mcleod will re plate the stock one any good? Or would an afternarket one be that much better

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Oh and on another note since y'all are obviously very fanilar with clutches for these cars what is the near bet for replacement of flywheel I also searched and saw that mcleod will re plate the stock one any good? Or would an afternarket one be that much better

The stock flywheel is good. If your semi tight on money just put a new ring in the stocker. You wont see any dif between a stock flywheel vs an aftermarket alu flywheel.

As far as a good clutch for you, make sure it has a lot of marcel spring. A solid disk should not be used on a street car because they have poor drivability and is hard on the drivetrain. Being you pretty much dd the car you have a lot of options. You don't need to be worried with the clamp load or how much hp it holds if your not planning on big power. Think less not more. Honestly a stock clutch with a good QR quadrant and firewall adjuster would work well for you.

Jason, you should pick up a few hp with the alu flywheel. I don't see the tq falling off much. It'd be very cool to see 600 at the tire!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
go with ProMotion Performance! run a search on google for the website.

i have been running their clutch on my DD/cobra for close to 40k miles, and i LOVE it. the clutch has ZERO chatter from the start. the pedal is sooooooo much lighter than stock, it actually feels like any other manual car now. also havent even heard a single chirp form the TOB yet. if i ever have to replace the clutch again, i will be going right back to them

Tims97SVT

Established Member
go with ProMotion Performance! run a search on google for the website.

i have been running their clutch on my DD/cobra for close to 40k miles, and i LOVE it. the clutch has ZERO chatter from the start. the pedal is sooooooo much lighter than stock, it actually feels like any other manual car now. also havent even heard a single chirp form the TOB yet. if i ever have to replace the clutch again, i will be going right back to them

Which disk do you have? The dual kustom? Did you get the cable kit as well? ProMotion has awesome stuff!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Which disk do you have? The dual kustom? Did you get the cable kit as well? ProMotion has awesome stuff!

i just went with their basic 11" cobra clutch that is rated for 520hp for $289. i did not get the cable kit.

i have ZERO complaints about the clutch...and will be going back to them if i ever have to replace it again

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
i just went with their basic 11" cobra clutch that is rated for 520hp for $289. i did not get the cable kit.

i have ZERO complaints about the clutch...and will be going back to them if i ever have to replace it again

That's good yo hear second time someone has mentioned pro motion. Its nice to see diff driving styles chiming in.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
The stock flywheel is good. If your semi tight on money just put a new ring in the stocker. You wont see any dif between a stock flywheel vs an aftermarket alu flywheel.

As far as a good clutch for you, make sure it has a lot of marcel spring. A solid disk should not be used on a street car because they have poor drivability and is hard on the drivetrain. Being you pretty much dd the car you have a lot of options. You don't need to be worried with the clamp load or how much hp it holds if your not planning on big power. Think less not more. Honestly a stock clutch with a good QR quadrant and firewall adjuster would work well for you.

Jason, you should pick up a few hp with the alu flywheel. I don't see the tq falling off much. It'd be very cool to see 600 at the tire!

Money isn't really an issue rather do it right once then cheap twice. Depending on clutch choice ill do 26 spline, pro motion seems nice now I haven't called anywhere and gotten a price on the stock unit yet. Honestly I think my car has an afternatket clutch in it now whatever it is is terrible lol

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Jason, regarding your bad luck with the dfx, sometimes you just get a bad clutch... With that said, I've been told I just got a bad 4.3. But that's not the case. The construction of the disk is incorrect. That's why it failed. Fidanza even told me it was there fault. As to pedal effort with the Fidanza, it was pretty soft. I did like that!

The weight difference between a Mcleod RXT and a single disc Spec setup is minimal. It's probably less than what most people think and in my opinion really not enough to make a difference.

I just weighed a Mcleod RXT 26.4lbs and Spec SF482 24.4lbs. Both of these were in their original boxes from the manufacturer. Keep in mind as well that the Spec clutch comes with a throwout bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool where the Mcleod only comes with an alignment tool. With that said you're probably looking at a 1lb difference between the two kits.

The difference between a steel and aluminum flywheel is in most cases 13-15lbs. Now that's enough to make a difference.

Also,
Yes you can find a single disc clutch that will hold higher hp levels and have a light pedal feel. However finding a single disc clutch that can support 800rwhp and still have stock driveability to it without chatter is what becomes more difficult. That's where the twin disc setup comes out on top. Not only will it hold higher hp levels better but won't be as aggressive as a high hp single disc setup.

Thanks for posting your experience though. It definitely helps for others to see "real world" info rather than just info from the manufacturers.

Jared

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Also,
Yes you can find a single disc clutch that will hold higher hp levels and have a light pedal feel. However finding a single disc clutch that can support 800rwhp and still have stock driveability to it without chatter is what becomes more difficult. That's where the twin disc setup comes out on top. Not only will it hold higher hp levels better but won't be as aggressive as a high hp single disc

Thanks for posting your experience though. It definitely helps for others to see "real world" info rather than just info from the manufacturers.

Jared

Yes the chatter js what im fully over, makes me feel like im driving a pos tired of property asking why is it shaking, all I want is street manners and enough clutch for me to fool around a little car wont see track time. The pro motion seems to be pleading a good case right now. If I went with them would def be getting a 26 spline set up

Users who are viewing this thread