Its happened Broken Halfshaft

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Was out on the way to go fishing this morning, gettin on the onramp, and hit a pothole. Right rear halfshaft broke and car coasted to a stop. Didnt break it racing though. Im sure the massive hit in the pothole took it out.

Im guessin the car isnt supposed to move anymore with one broken halfshaft, the drivehsaft turns while in gear, so I know the tranny wasnt hurt. Just making sure its suppoed to not be driveable.

Anyone know how much a new halfshaft runs???

Anyone know what size the axle nut is?? I have a 32mm at my house, but it has some sort of stupid lookin contraption on it.

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
that sucks...

That sucks. It must be our worst fear as cobra drivers.

Are you gonna try and have ford fix it?

how many miles on the car? (just curious)

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Why go with ford fixing it? Just get stronger ones so you dont have to worry about it anymore. Cant cost more then 400 bux I would imagine.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Why go with ford fixing it? Just get stronger ones so you dont have to worry about it anymore. Cant cost more then 400 bux I would imagine.
The set from amzon I think are $900. People have reported breaking them as well.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Its my only driver, too much hassle to demod, I may just bum around for a week or so, and see who has hardered or better ones.

6900 on the car

Priced one threw the dealer at 240 bux, I think I may have a hookup though.

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
has it ever been to the track?

has it been to the track at all? how many passess?

I am so worried about mine as well. I have 9,000 miles and have never had a problem with the rear at all. I have been researching all the guys with broken rears and most seem to have less than 10,000 miles before the rear end had problems. I may put another thread up but include a poll so we can see clearly who broke rears and what mileage the problem started.

thanks for the info

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: has it ever been to the track?

Originally posted by cobra101
has it been to the track at all? how many passess?

I am so worried about mine as well. I have 9,000 miles and have never had a problem with the rear at all. I have been researching all the guys with broken rears and most seem to have less than 10,000 miles before the rear end had problems. I may put another thread up but include a poll so we can see clearly who broke rears and what mileage the problem started.

thanks for the info
May want to askf ro HP/TQ numbers as well, just for curiosity :)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Pics

This is the piece that I picked up off the road that came out of the boot next to the rearend.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
The set from amzon I think are $900. People have reported breaking them as well.

To date we have only had one problem and it was not the haftshaft, it was a flaw in the stub end. The haftshaft was fine and we sent out a brand new unit Free.

Rick

trey193

Established Member
If it were mine I would take it in to Ford and have it replaced under warranty, I am sure it wouldnt take them long to do it and most likely they have halfshafts there, just make sure no rubber is anywhere and no need to demod for a broken halfshaft, no need for them to be under the hood for anything so I wouldnt worry about it, only thing they would see would be the exhaust and that should be fine! If mine breaks track or not I will have it replaced under warranty! Just my take on the whole deal and to boot since its an SVT they have to provide you with a rental vehicle and are supposed to wash the car if you so desire. There are a few perks SVT has here and there!:)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
If it were mine I would take it in to Ford and have it replaced under warranty, I am sure it wouldnt take them long to do it and most likely they have halfshafts there, just make sure no rubber is anywhere and no need to demod for a broken halfshaft, no need for them to be under the hood for anything so I wouldnt worry about it, only thing they would see would be the exhaust and that should be fine! If mine breaks track or not I will have it replaced under warranty! Just my take on the whole deal and to boot since its an SVT they have to provide you with a rental vehicle and are supposed to wash the car if you so desire. There are a few perks SVT has here and there!:)
From what I was told the advisor and techs are supposed to pop your hood and check for mods to the car and write them down for use at a later date. Unless you really know your dealer I would suggest against using them for any reason if you have mods. My 3 cents. I don't know if all dealers are doing this, but I do know some are. Just a FYI.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
If you break a halfshaft on a stock vehicle, then get it replaced under warranty.
If you modded the car and increased torque/horsepower, then at least part, if not all of the failure is your responsibility.
Why would you put a stock part back on anyway? It'll just break again.

trey193... those free SVT car washes will most likely get you a whole slew of new scratches and swirls. I think they take joy in washing a car with a dirty rag. :rollseyes

trey193

Established Member
Yeah Rat I wouldnt let them touch the outside of my car, but I would insist that they clean all the grease off the undercarriage. And if my hood were popped without my consent for a rearend problem I would be pretty angry. Thats the way I will go about it if a halfshaft rears its ugly head, may or may not workout:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread