Its happened Broken Halfshaft

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Re: has it ever been to the track?

Originally posted by cobra101
has it been to the track at all? how many passess?

I am so worried about mine as well. I have 9,000 miles and have never had a problem with the rear at all. I have been researching all the guys with broken rears and most seem to have less than 10,000 miles before the rear end had problems. I may put another thread up but include a poll so we can see clearly who broke rears and what mileage the problem started.

thanks for the info

17,000 miles. Many trips to the dragstrip. No broken rear end.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
From what I was told the advisor and techs are supposed to pop your hood and check for mods to the car and write them down for use at a later date. Unless you really know your dealer I would suggest against using them for any reason if you have mods. My 3 cents. I don't know if all dealers are doing this, but I do know some are. Just a FYI.

I noticed my dealer popping my hood when I took it in for the rearend pop and other minor things. Nothing engine related. THey are just looking for a reason to void warranties in my opinion.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03_silver_coupe
I noticed my dealer popping my hood when I took it in for the rearend pop and other minor things. Nothing engine related. THey are just looking for a reason to void warranties in my opinion.
I went in for a tire rotation and the service writer popped my hood. Then he started looking under my pulley cover and he eyeballed my PHP airbox. When I asked him what he was doing he told me he was just looking. I found out what he was doing afterward from another service writer at the same dealer.

I have no shifter, only an MGW handle. The MGW handle feels different then the stock shifter. That service writer kept trying to get me to admit I had installed a shifter. He really pissed me off.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
. And if my hood were popped without my consent for a rearend problem I would be pretty angry. Thats the way I will go about it if a halfshaft rears its ugly head, may or may not workout:shrug:
It doesn't hurt to try I guess. Just don't get pi$$ed at Ford if they refuse to fix your modded car. Seems a lot folks are doing just that.

lguerra1

Established Member
If you are going to replace the halfshaft yourself, follow the instructions Joe Lynch has on his website. Joe has done and excellent job describing the IRS in detail. Click Here

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
It doesn't hurt to try I guess. Just don't get pi$$ed at Ford if they refuse to fix your modded car. Seems a lot folks are doing just that.
If what I did caused the related part to fail I don't have a problem paying for it. But if they say my MGW shifter handle or my magnaflow cat-back caused my car's half-shafts to fail and they wont fix it then we have a problem.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
If what I did caused the related part to fail I don't have a problem paying for it. But if they say my MGW shifter handle or my magnaflow cat-back caused my car's half-shafts to fail and they wont fix it then we have a problem.
I agree 100%.
But if I go in there with 600hp/550tq and get upset because they won't fix my broken halfshaft, well that's just silly. If I try and de-mod the car before I take it in, that's dishonest and fraud on my part.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Since the service department has no business under your hood for the half shaft repair, just chain the hood shut. Not too much they can say about it if they can't open it.
There would be no plausible explanation for them looking or doing work there either.

Dana

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
My points exactly, they have no business at all under the hood for a half shaft problem plain and simple. I second the locking down of the hood!!!;-)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
If anything it is my fault, I hit the pothole. Same theory as hitting a wall or something, should it be covered on the paint warranty just because you hit a wall?

The car is modded I wont deny that, im not gonna risk this 200 dollar part when its an easy "fix it yourself", and possibly getting my warranty vioded. I will just change it myself, and save the next huge event for demodding. Small hundred dollar parts I can deal with, thousand dollar ones is what I worry about.

I found one for 229 dollars + shipping

Last edited:

Poison_S

Established Member
I broke the passenger-side half shaft earlier this year. The service manager and techs took one look at the mileage (2500) and the condition of the car and never once asked how it happened or if the car was modded. In fact, they apologized to me that it would take a day and a half to repair because they had to over-night the parts. It was only later they found a bad wheel bearing to be the likey cause to the half-shaft failure.

I have been very pleased with the servicing experience, as a whole, with Graham Ford in Columbus, Ohio.

Since then, Graham has done various mods (excluding pulley and chip) without hesistation or warning about voiding my warranty. So far they have been real pragmatic about honoring any warranty work. I have recommended them to a number of fellow Cobra owners in the area, all have come back pleased with their work.

With all that said, I still get concerned everytime the car begins hopping and wonder if next time will be that easy.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
did you think about blaming the town for the pothole? my friend's mother hit a pothole in town, dented the oil pan (crank was ok) town payed for another one. i would also say yoru car insurance, but that would 1. raise your insurance due to the claim 2. probably not be covered since it will be less than your deductable. i would think it would be the town's fault do to them not keeping up with the roads IMHO.

sapper

Established Member
I don't know about Anchorge, but here in Albuquerque, you can file a claim against the city for damage caused by a pot hole if the pot hole had been reported by someone 24 or 48? hours before the occurance.
This is not widely known. I quess if the city does not make timely repairs to bad road reports they have to pay for the damages it causes.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
In my post earlier about the hood lock and chain, this was meant as a suggestion to prevent those that have no business under your hood from going there when they shouldn't.

I am not implying that If you broke it and it is your fault, Ford should fix it. I have replaced parts on my own even though I have a mod friendly dealer. These were parts that I caused to break or fail.
But if the failed part would have failed whether there were mods or not, then Ford should fix it, regardless of what is under the hood at any given time.

Dana

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
If anything it is my fault, I hit the pothole. Same theory as hitting a wall or something, should it be covered on the paint warranty just because you hit a wall?

The car is modded I wont deny that, im not gonna risk this 200 dollar part when its an easy "fix it yourself", and possibly getting my warranty vioded. I will just change it myself, and save the next huge event for demodding. Small hundred dollar parts I can deal with, thousand dollar ones is what I worry about.

I found one for 229 dollars + shipping

Broke are you going to replace both while you are at it or just the one that gave out? I would have to say replace both.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Im just doing the one that went out. If the other one goes out, I'll replace that one too.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
Was out on the way to go fishing this morning, gettin on the onramp, and hit a pothole. Right rear halfshaft broke and car coasted to a stop. Didnt break it racing though. Im sure the massive hit in the pothole took it out.

Im guessin the car isnt supposed to move anymore with one broken halfshaft, the drivehsaft turns while in gear, so I know the tranny wasnt hurt. Just making sure its suppoed to not be driveable.

Anyone know how much a new halfshaft runs???

Anyone know what size the axle nut is?? I have a 32mm at my house, but it has some sort of stupid lookin contraption on it.

this really falls under your insurance road hazzard coverage, depending on your deductible.

Users who are viewing this thread