Its happened Broken Halfshaft

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Come on guys, if you break an axle how can you blame Ford??? Were you running DR's?? If you race you KNOW something will eventually fail and that is a calculated risk you take in racing, and how can that be Fords fault for building a performance car to be driven on the street??? There is a reason Ford put IRS in the Cobra and it was NOT to make it a DRAG CAR!!! If you want to turn it into a dragster... PUT IN A LIVE AXLE!! One of my customers borke lastnight when out with me at the drags, and I know damn well a warranty claim on it would be REJECTED when the part is returned to FORD, if there wasn't so many people passin the blame for there abuse of the car when drag racing maybe warranty wouldnt be so STRINGENT!?!?! I will give my customer some info on how to replace it and get him a wicked price on the part. He has had plenty of 11 sec runs on it and knew we were running on borrowed time. If you can afford to drive and mod the car... BUCK UP and take the responsability for the repair

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
As a tech who does alot of mods it is sure nice to see that SOME of you (ie racerat and SOME others) have some sense of resposabiltyand are willing to admit it wasnt a FORD issue.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by BIGGESTJOHNSON
Come on guys, if you break an axle how can you blame Ford??? Were you running DR's?? If you race you KNOW something will eventually fail and that is a calculated risk you take in racing, and how can that be Fords fault for building a performance car to be driven on the street??? There is a reason Ford put IRS in the Cobra and it was NOT to make it a DRAG CAR!!! If you want to turn it into a dragster... PUT IN A LIVE AXLE!! One of my customers borke lastnight when out with me at the drags, and I know damn well a warranty claim on it would be REJECTED when the part is returned to FORD, if there wasn't so many people passin the blame for there abuse of the car when drag racing maybe warranty wouldnt be so STRINGENT!?!?! I will give my customer some info on how to replace it and get him a wicked price on the part. He has had plenty of 11 sec runs on it and knew we were running on borrowed time. If you can afford to drive and mod the car... BUCK UP and take the responsability for the repair
Come on man, I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE DRAGSTRIP OR RUN DR'S YET MY HALFSHAFTS ARE CLICKING AND POPPING AND SHAKING. DON'T TELL ME THAT ISN'T FORDS FAULT. You and ford need to buck up, take the responsibility and fix it. What about the member here with the stock car who babies his car so much he changes the oil every 500 miles. He brought it in for the stall and ford is trying to void his warranty because they claim he used octane booster. WTF does octane booster have to do with anything? Or the problems with the TO bearing, you and ford gonna fix those or are you going to blame that on racing too.:rolleyes: :kaboom:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
The car is modded I wont deny that, im not gonna risk this 200 dollar part when its an easy "fix it yourself", and possibly getting my warranty vioded. I will just change it myself, and save the next huge event for demodding. Small hundred dollar parts I can deal with, thousand dollar ones is what I worry about.

I hear ya, thats what I did. I didn't want anyone to touch my car and **** it up worse than me. So I ripped out the trans 3 times after I f't it up do to the steeda shifter. If you love your car like I do, do it your self.:beer:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Come on man, I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE DRAGSTRIP OR RUN DR'S YET MY HALFSHAFTS ARE CLICKING AND POPPING AND SHAKING. DON'T TELL ME THAT ISN'T FORDS FAULT. You and ford need to buck up, take the responsibility and fix it. What about the member here with the stock car who babies his car so much he changes the oil every 500 miles. He brought it in for the stall and ford is trying to void his warranty because they claim he used octane booster. WTF does octane booster have to do with anything? Or the problems with the TO bearing, you and ford gonna fix those or are you going to blame that on racing too.:rolleyes: :kaboom:
DUDE CHILL!! Now if you have a legitimate concern then damn straight you should get service, I cannot speak for all dearlerships, but I can speak in regards to MINE!! BUT GIVE ME A BREAK!! If you shatter you halfshaft while running DR's OR slicks STFU bout how shatty Fords are and take the responsability for it. THAT was all I was saying, the TOB's have been an issue for YEARS now, not only on the T56, but on other trans to. I am not saying there arent issue's, because there are, but guy's being FRAUDULANT with OBVIOUS abuse issues RUIN it for that stock guy ie. the guy with the "Octane Boost" issue. It's called "building a relationship" with you dealer and/or manufature. If you give them reason NOT to trust you in one circumstance, why should they trust you the next time?? :idea: what a concept eh??

O yeah.. and why should I buck up?? Did I design the car??

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
I agree...

It is stupid to say DR's are a reason to VOID ANYTHING!

If (G_d forbid) I break a tranny. engine, and especially halfshafts I will CERTAINLY bring it to ford and have them fix it.

I am stock minus CAI and DR's and ford shouldn't be able to void ANYTHING on my warranty because of it. With the one expeception of the stall problem because of my CAI. And even this should be covered because the stall issue occurs on completely stock cars as well.

Of course with heavy mods all bets are off. you break something you should fix it (within reason).

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
cobra101, do you think the rear suspension on this car was designed for drag racing?? Of course a "sticky" tire will be considered abuse, honestly the rear suspension is better on a road course than a drag strip. Like I said earlier, if you want it for straight line power, SWAP THE IRS WITH A LIVE AXLE!! It will take the abuse much better. Look I dont wanna start a war here but SOME people here have to be somewhat resonable, remember, when you take it to your dealer and they fix it under warranty... they then send the "defective" part back to Ford if THEY consider it to be a case of abuse not a defect, the dealer gets charged back and then the techs get deducts. So the techs are just tryin to protect themselves from being deducted and not getting paid for repair.

cobra101

Established Member
I am not sure I understand.

Broke7 doesn't want to try and have it fixed under warranty becuase the fix is cheap and he doesn't want to risk his warranty.

To me, the warranty seems useless if you can't bring it in because your modded. so basically you are preserving a warranty that is un-usable. If something more expensive breaks then you will try and have it done by ford? if seomthing more expensive breaks you should fix that too with your own $$$ because you are MODDED. I am all for us, the consumer, but i mean come on. The warranty is already voided from when your did all your mods!!!! if you blow your tranny, rear, or motor you would be responsible to fix it, period. sure you can try and demod or bring it in to ford but as someone else said that would be fraud.

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Sorry to here that broke7, that sucks. By next spring I wont have halfshafts anymore! Im tired of hearing all the horror stories and don't want to be one of them. By by irs! Good luck broke.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
I am not sure I understand.

Broke7 doesn't want to try and have it fixed under warranty becuase the fix is cheap and he doesn't want to risk his warranty.

To me, the warranty seems useless if you can't bring it in because your modded. so basically you are preserving a warranty that is un-usable. If something more expensive breaks then you will try and have it done by ford? if seomthing more expensive breaks you should fix that too with your own $$$ because you are MODDED. I am all for us, the consumer, but i mean come on. The warranty is already voided from when your did all your mods!!!! if you blow your tranny, rear, or motor you would be responsible to fix it, period. sure you can try and demod or bring it in to ford but as someone else said that would be fraud.
He also wants to fix it himself because he KNEW about halfshaft issues when using DR's and he still used them, it is a price you pay to race and get the extra rush from improving your times. Now should YOUR engine develope a tick, or your TOB start making noise, then yeah it should be a warrantable reapir. BUT if you break a halfshaft after running drag radials, IMHO it is your resposability to repair it.:shrug:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
cobra101, I cann't speak for boke7, but I know what he talking about. If the motor is ***ted then it worth the time and energy to find the stock parts and put them back in and hide that you modded anything. Thats the big money piece that most people including myself are not willing to void yet for something stupid like a halfshaft. peace.

:beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by BIGGESTJOHNSON
He also wants to fix it himself because he KNEW about halfshaft issues when using DR's and he still used them, it is a price you pay to race and get the extra rush from improving your times. Now should YOUR engine develope a tick, or your TOB start making noise, then yeah it should be a warrantable reapir. BUT if you break a halfshaft after running drag radials, IMHO it is your resposability to repair it.:shrug:

How about a tick thats been documented pre-pulley, then devloped into bigger problem are more mileage gets put on motors with ticking heads?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Mine was documented at 800 miles about a ticking noise. The tech claimed it couldnt be heard. This was before the TSB came out. My buddy is a tech, he says my car has the TICK. The car isnt using oil. Its runs like a raped mule. Im not gonna bother right now. Maybe at 20,000 or so if I get bored...then I might.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
How about a tick thats been documented pre-pulley, then devloped into bigger problem are more mileage gets put on motors with ticking heads?
Personally, if MY car had a problem (ie. "the" tick) I would have second thoughts about doing ANY engine mods untill it is repaired. That is why I reccomend to my customers they put on 5000kms before we do any mods (was there a problem with the car??? or did I just cause one??? ) Makes it ALOT easier to figure out concerns

Users who are viewing this thread