It's here, How-to for installation of Speedhut Gauges and SOS Pod with pics

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Speedhut Boost and Coolant Temp Gauge Install for 2003/2004 Ford Mustang Cobra with Speed of Sound A-Pillar Gauge Pod

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

First and foremost,

I would like to thank Brad, a.k.a. 03cobra#694 on SVTPerformance.com for giving me countless hours of input on my gauge install and on this write-up. Thank you LargeOrangeFont and Jimmysidecarr on SVTperformance.com for you input too. Props to Hunter, a.k.a. LTHL VNM on www.pfomustangs.com

I would also like to personally thank Alan @ www.speedofsoundllc.com for his excellent well-constructed gauge pod that matches the stock interior of the 2003/2004 Cobra perfectly…he definitely stands behind his product and is one of the few stand-up guys around that I have dealt with! Finally, I would like to thank www.speedhut.com, especially Aaron, for making the best looking/functioning gauges on the market…they truly look stock, and I get compliments everyday on the set-up. Aaron, also, truly stands behind his product!

I hope you all enjoy this write-up, and it helps ease the installation of your Speedhut gauges and SOS gauge pod…
Joe M a.k.a. (Jomo1994z71) on www.svtperformance.com
a.k.a. (Terminator03) on www.pfomustangs.com

1. Order your Speedhut Gauges from speedhut.com, they are the best looking gauges on the market
2. Order your Speed of Sound A-Pillar Gauge Pod from www.speedofsoundllc.com; it is the only pod on the market that matches the stock interior perfectly!
3. Buy two add-a-fuse MINI (1 for each gauge) from your local auto parts store, Bussmann is the brand I used
4. Disconnect (-) Terminal to battery
5. Take headlight knob off; IMO, the best way is to get a small right angle punch or pick and pull on the pin, visible when you turn the knob, while gently pulling on the knob

IMG_2333.jpg

6. Take the two torx screws out right above the clear plastic cluster

IMG_2331-1.jpg

7. Remove instrument cluster by removing 4 torx scews and disconnecting the 2 harnesses and disconnecting boost line…(you can find the boost line running from under the dash and disconnect the clip to give you more slack which eases removal from cluster)
IMG_2298-1.jpg

8. Remove stock pillar; see video thanks to SOS (http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/i/Instructions/PillarInstall.wmv)

9. Dremel hole into dash right below the shown red arrow; this provides ample room to hide all of your gauge wires. Also remove 2 the two screws (in green) that hold the headlight switch so you will have more room in navigating the wires

IMG_2290-1.jpg

10. Get you wire harness that came with your speedhut gauges…follow the simple directions…marry the smallest white lighting line to the larger white line, marry the smallest black ground line to the other larger black ground line

IMG_2336.jpg

11. Using the above diagram from Speedhut, Marry the white line from each harness and connect it to the add-a-fuse. Pull the 5 amp fuse from fuse #37; insert the add-a-fuse into the spot where the original fuse was and put the original fuse in the add-a-fuse slot; now put a new 5 amp fuse in the other slot; Fuse #37 is for lighting/dimming
12. Marry the red line from each harness and connect it to the other add-a-fuse and pull the 15 amp fuse from fuse #5, replace the original fuse spot with the add-a-circuit and put original in slot of add-a-fuse…now put a new 10 amp fuse in the other slot of the add-a-circuit; Fuse #5 is for power
13. Slide wire harness leading with both input cables/sensors for the boost and temp sensor, be careful not to tear any of the wires on the metal near the dash…
14. Navigate the 2 add-a-fuses and ground line to the fuse box…mount ground on some metal (I chose to mount it on the fuse box screw/panel)

IMG_2301.jpg

15. Navigate boost input cable to the glove box on passenger side
16. Open glovebox; pull the tabs inward and glovebox will fall open; Find boost line, remove yellow connector and insert T connector as shown, careful not to bend boost line
IMG_2312.jpg

17. Connect rubber house from speedhut to the bottom of the T and connect to boost input cable as shown

IMG_2314.jpg

18. Navigate coolant temp sensor cable to center console, then through shifter boot area(after you have removed shift knob, pulled back on plastic around shifter boot, disconnected cigarette lighter, and cut small hole into the rubber around shifter)

IMG_2295.jpg

19. Protect coolant temp input cable with some high temp heat wrap and some wire loom and poke through your hole you made in the shifter boot area, patch hole around line with RTV high Temp silicone (I used 3/8 inch wire loom)
20. Navigate coolant temp input cable to from underneath the car forward toward the driver’s side block
21. Careful, Coolant may be hot! Remove 5/16 Brass Female Allen Head Bolt *Notice: some 03/04 Cobras have a simple regular bolt

IMG_2192-1.jpg

22. Let coolant drain and insert Speedhut Temp probe into engine block (Use provided adapter from Speedhut or go to your local home improvement store and buy an adapter for the temp probe) Make sure to use Teflon Tape!
IMG_2306.jpg

23. Plug up each gauge to each harness
24. Reconnect the (-) battery terminal
25. Turn power on: The gauges should turn on and the needle should move(Boost gauge should read 0 with power on); the gauges should light up as well. If not, something is not wired correctly or not connected
26. Disconnect (-) battery terminal again
27. Disconnect harness from gauge
28. Now, dremel the guage pod a little, if needed, to fit the wire harness connectors through pod hole (Careful, take your time)
29. Now secure all wires inside A-Pillar from Speed of Sound; I put both wire harness clips inside gauge pod to reduce the likelihood of the wires getting pinch when I installed the pillar…Notice, it may help to run one set of wires in the channel and the other to the left of the clip

30. Reinstall pillar
31. Reconnect (-) battery terminal
32. Refill coolant via Crossover tube burp plug
33. Admire your work, and thank yourself for buying the best looking pod and gauges for your TERMINATOR!

IMG_2342-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Very nice writeup! I just finished doing mine a week ago, or so. I don't like the reflection of the illuminated needle in the polished bezel, though. I may try them without the illumination on the needles to see how they look. The red circle kind of bugs me!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Very nice writeup! I just finished doing mine a week ago, or so. I don't like the reflection of the illuminated needle in the polished bezel, though. I may try them without the illumination on the needles to see how they look. The red circle kind of bugs me!

Hey Brian,you can hook-up a switch to turn the needles off!I`ll e-mail Aaron and see if there is a dimmer we can put on just the needles.
Brad

Jefe

Established Member
Subscribed. Not sure If Im gonna do this myself but Im sure all the help I need is here

black 10th vert

Established Member
Hey Brian,you can hook-up a switch to turn the needles off!I`ll e-mail Aaron and see if there is a dimmer we can put on just the needles.
Brad

That's exactly what I plan to do! I will look for some really small switches today at autostoned, because I want to have the choice without having to cut/re-splice wires every time! A dimmer may be a cool option too! Maybe just an adjustable resistor (potentiometer)could do the trick if we knew what value to get. They are pretty cheap right at Radio Shack.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's exactly what I plan to do! I will look for some really small switches today at autostoned, because I want to have the choice without having to cut/re-splice wires every time! A dimmer may be a cool option too! Maybe just an adjustable resistor (potentiometer)could do the trick if we knew what value to get. They are pretty cheap right at Radio Shack.

Exactly,I e-mailed Speedhut about 7:45,haven`t heard back yet.I know Autometer makes a guage dimmer.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
I ordered mine today WOOT WOOT!
Ok well im kindda lost on the coolant thing why do you have to let the coolent drain to you have to fill anything back up or what sorry if dumb i just dont know!
I read it again what cross over tube are you talkn about any pics??

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I ordered mine today WOOT WOOT!
Ok well im kindda lost on the coolant thing why do you have to let the coolent drain to you have to fill anything back up or what sorry if dumb i just dont know!
I read it again what cross over tube are you talkn about any pics??

Congrats...I went ahead and let the coolant drain...yes you have to fill the coolant back up because you will loose around a gallon...with our cars you can't just fill the coolant back up in the reservoir...you have to fill at the highest point of the cooling system which is the 1/4 burp plug...it's right up top, you can't miss it...the highest part of the system is where air goes, so that is why it's called the burp plug...

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Do you have a pic of this i just went and looked and im still lost???
Do you just refill with the gold ford coolent??

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I can get a pic, tomorrow, if noone has posted one...I'm about to roll off to work, nightshift sucks!
And yes, if you have the gold coolant in it now, I just refilled with about a gallon of that and and some distilled water...

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
i might can get 03cobra to help me out a bit im not getting them till next week anyways so im gonna need all the help i can get lol

Users who are viewing this thread