It's tire time... :(

Tex Arcana

Established Member
The Nitto's are toast, 26k over 3 years (I know, my fault, didn't rotate them soon enough), so it's time for new meats.

And, of course, it means I'm asking y'all what I should get.

The choices are either the Hankooks Ventus ST, a 50k tire with a warranty :rollseyes, or the Nitto 555 Extremes (street), usually good for 36k if I rotate every 5k, and swap them side-to-side every 10k.

The kooks are $200 per, $942 out the door, at Discount Tire; the nittos are $206 per, $968 out the door, same place.

At the moment, I'm torn. On the on hand, I LOVE the Nittos, best street tire for these things ever: stick well, excellent wet traction, predictable handling. On the other hand, losing this set at 26k hurts, and with the economy/job/financial situations the way they are, having to drop nearly a grand on tires is gonna hurt, and I'm thinking it might be best to go with the longer-lasting tire, and be done with it. But, if the Hankooks are hard and squirrelly, am I gonna regret it? :whine:

I don't drag race, I do the occasional "street demonstration" (rare now, most people won't bother to engage when they see the fender emblem), and I drive it daily 5.5 miles one way to work, and since I work for (b)Lowe's, I only get one weekend a month, which usually does NOT correspond with the local autocross and HPDE events put on by the local car clubs. I'd LOVE to get back into that, someday.

I've also got a full set of slicks on '01 wheels, and I'm gonna pick the straightest set to put on the street. My eventual plan is to hopefully get a set of R-compounds for track work, and swap as necessary; but that won't happen til I find a straight job that gives me my weekends back. :shrug:

So, whaddy'all think? Kooks or Nittos? And if y'all have any other suggestions, please go for it.

Thanks!

Btw: mods in the sig.

Dusten

Established Member
Search around, you should be able to find hankooks for about 160-170 a piece. I ran hankooks on a mostly stock truck and liked them. When I pullied it I went to 555r's but they are only good for about 15,000. This truck has the 555's on it, and I like the better than the hankooks, but if money and mileage are a concern, i'd go with the hankooks.

Users who are viewing this thread