Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
when-you-finally-find-the-10mm-socket-my-precious-22862275.png

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
What really keeps me awake at night though is this question: Why a 10mm? What the Hell was so wrong with the 3/8's and 7/16's that some asshole engineer thought he had to make it his mission in life to make the miserable in-between 10mm? Which, as we have all seen, is relativistically unstable. We wouldn't be having these issues if the jerk-off had called it a 25/64's. But noooo, it was the late '60's and Metric was all fashionable. Bastards.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What really keeps me awake at night though is this question: Why a 10mm? What the Hell was so wrong with the 3/8's and 7/16's that some asshole engineer thought he had to make it his mission in life to make the miserable in-between 10mm? Which, as we have all seen, is relativistically unstable. We wouldn't be having these issues if the jerk-off had called it a 25/64's. But noooo, it was the late '60's and Metric was all fashionable. Bastards.

Aren't we pretty much the only country not using the metric system?

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Guess what? Those countries that use the metric system either call on us to bail their arses out of world wars, or watched us put men on the moon/into space.

Murica.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And there wasnt anything metric on the Lunar Module.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
And there wasnt anything metric on the Lunar Module.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Well, almost.

The AGC program was written using metric units and performed all calculations in metric. It simply converted everything to SI for the astronauts to read and enter the flight data.

This was simply because it was easier to code the physics calculations using metric and therefore used less code which was necessary as the code was stored in core rope memory.

If you are into that sort of thing, there is a series of videos on YouTube where a team of engineers rebuilt an original AGC, including the DSKY, for the anniversary last year.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, almost.

The AGC program was written using metric units and performed all calculations in metric. It simply converted everything to SI for the astronauts to read and enter the flight data.

This was simply because it was easier to code the physics calculations using metric and therefore used less code which was necessary as the code was stored in core rope memory.

If you are into that sort of thing, there is a series of videos on YouTube where a team of engineers rebuilt an original AGC, including the DSKY, for the anniversary last year.
Computers do that kind of math trick all the time. If the data and readouts were SI ... then it was SI.

Users who are viewing this thread