Jeep GC SRT guys, need some help

ViciousJay

Established Member
Ok, My lease is up on my Durango R/T with the next year. I work from home 90% of the time, and when I do drive (even after Covid is done) I drive 16 miles round trip to work when needed, and basically to the grocery store and pet store and maybe a walgreens. I've been considering a Jeep SRT 2015-16. After looking over everything my insurance drops as well as car payment. Is there really any flaws to this? I have a 7 seater which no one has sat in besides a 25 lbs Whippet and jack russell, I think the Durango is overkill and what to move to a mid-size SUV but I don't want to lose the modern tech and muscle feel but being able to haul things like mulch or simple stuff is a plus I'm not a lead foot like I was back in the day but I want something higher, can handle and enjoy. If you can please provides the good and the ugly. I've watched many pro's and con's on youtube but I trust you guys much more.

Thank you

FJohnny

Established Member
My brother drives a Macan Turbo as his summer truck. Handles like a 911 and can fit 120 goose decoys, his blind and an 85 lb black lab. He likes it almost as much as his F-150. Might be worth a test drive. Not sure how much lightly used ones go for but I know the dealer offered him dick for it on a trade so maybe not too bad?

ViciousJay

Established Member
My brother drives a Macan Turbo as his summer truck. Handles like a 911 and can fit 120 goose decoys, his blind and an 85 lb black lab. He likes it almost as much as his F-150. Might be worth a test drive. Not sure how much lightly used ones go for but I know the dealer offered him dick for it on a trade so maybe not too bad?
Nah I like the SRT thus far, also mods will only be exhaust and simple cosmetics.

Once the housing market comeback I'm GTFO and will get an apartment till I can find something small and I like, preferably the south

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
I hear the Bilstein Active Damping Suspension is junk, I have a WK1 but a guy I used to work with was telling me how he used to have tons of problems with leaking shocks on his 2016. From the little bit of research I did it seems to be a fairly common problem.

He had a pretty aggressive set of lowering springs on his rig, it sat much lower than my eibach’s on my 2010. So that could have accelerated the failure.

Other than that the WK2’s are pretty damn solid mechanically, the 8 speed is awesome.

Also, I know there is a common problem with the carbon fiber interior trim becoming detached from interior panels.

08mojo

Established Member
The common issues that I am aware of:

• peeling interior carbon fiber trim (easy fix and FCA issued a TSB to replace the failing trim)
  • failing lifters--seems to happen 40-60k miles, no help from FCA that I'm aware of (if you're out of warranty, and you will be with a 15-16)

I, personally, like the front end of the 15-16 the best, specifically the night editions. They also have the updated interior (infotainment area). I had a 2016 night edition SRT. It was awesome: great interior, great stereo, didn't feel like a 5,300lb suv, didn't really feel like an suv, perfect size for me (I have no use for a 3rd row). The infotainment was good, but I really wish it had android auto/apple carplay (I think that started in 2017). The heated seats and steering wheel were nice in the winter, and the cooled seats were a plus in the summer. I loved the automatic cruise control, and it would bring the car to a stop in traffic (but would turn off if stopped for more than 3 seconds). The automatic climate control was perfect--it operated in a very predictable manner.

The only cons I had: it felt like a sports car until my wife bought an M2...then it didn't feel quite as sporty. It got incredibly poor gas mileage, I think I averaged 12mpg for the two years ownership for me. It ate brakes and tires: after 13k miles, the brakes were close to needing replacement and tires were not too far behind.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Had a 14.

Lifters went out at 72k. Covered under 5/100 powertrain.
14 had the unlocked ECU IIRC.
No issues with suspension or trans when it was traded in at ~103k(or 108 can't recall) miles
Interior carbon fiber fixed under warranty/tsb.

Transmission is tits in the Jeep. Daily drove it in sport or track mode.
Pads went out every 25k miles, rotors every 50k. Tire life was maybe every 30k.
Fairly easy to replace.
Mileage for me was around 14-15mpg. Crusing on hwy helped build it up but still drove aggressive in city.
Handles well for a 5k brick.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah, if the lifters are failing this early it looks like I'll be sticking with my R/T or look into something else

venmos1

Established Member
Yeah, if the lifters are failing this early it looks like I'll be sticking with my R/T or look into something else
Its all the hemis. 6.4 and 5.7. lifters are a common issue. Look around on other sites. Many have had good luck when switching to a better oil. Very common for the 5.7 guys is switching over to redline 5w30 oil. It quieted my tick down and the motor overall for that matter. Im sticking to redline 5w30 from here out. More expensive, but worth it imo. Sorry to derail. If you have the money, or can save up, plan on a cam and lifter replacement and just buy what you like.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I owned 2 GC, wk1 and wk2. Both of them bone stock motors, both got smoked.
they were my DD's so I never beat on them and had oil changes regularly.
After the second one did this I traded it in as soon as it was finished and ran for the hills.

IMG_5946.JPG

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Ive got a 18 Jeep GC SRT Trackhawk, and plenty of room for a family.
Quality is "ok" Wish the lower seat bolsters were a little better!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Its all the hemis. 6.4 and 5.7. lifters are a common issue. Look around on other sites. Many have had good luck when switching to a better oil. Very common for the 5.7 guys is switching over to redline 5w30 oil. It quieted my tick down and the motor overall for that matter. Im sticking to redline 5w30 from here out. More expensive, but worth it imo. Sorry to derail. If you have the money, or can save up, plan on a cam and lifter replacement and just buy what you like.

My overall plans would be to keep it stock as possible and just do a few cosmetic things and a muffler delete, that's all.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I've got a 5.7 hemi GC, other than little crap failing over the years, like water pump and starter motor, it's been relatively nice.

I do like the styles of them. Just wish the quality was a bit higher in their parts. Chrysler has always sucked in that department.

venmos1

Established Member
My overall plans would be to keep it stock as possible and just do a few cosmetic things and a muffler delete, that's all.

It's not all hemis. Some last a long time without issues. Broken manifold bolts are common on the 5.7s. the manifolds actually warp. That can sound like a tick at idle. A wiggle of the heat shield should show any broken bolt. The concerning tick is a hot idle tick. Get it hot and go visit a drive thru. The wall is good at deflecting the engine. I would walk from any tick at full temp. These engines tick some anyway, but any excessive is concerning. My forever truck one day will be a supercharged 6.4 mega cab. I will not chance a ticking hemi. Dont let a dealer tell you it's normal.

Users who are viewing this thread