JLT oil catch can broken AGAIN

sikryd

Established Member
I love that the JLT catch can is made of billet Aluminum, but the fittings that attach the can to the hoses suck. The plastic gets brittle with heat and time. The first time it broke I was at home, so I just threw on the stock piece. JlT sent me a new fitting, and I replaced it with no issue. At the time I told myself that I should replace the plastic barbed fittings with brass. Well.... Here I am trying to get to work this morning, stuck in a parking lot with two broken (passenger side) JLT fittings. Driver side is ok, because its supported by the valve cover. Te passenger side just hangs there with the weight of the can on the hoses and fittings.

I had opened the hood because my vacuum/boost gauge was reading low (cracked rubber fitting), and I noticed the JLT looked strange. Barely touched it (1 finger), and it fell away from the hoses. I just rigged it using electrical tape ad silicon from the store here,so I should be ok for a bit.

If you plan on getting the JLT oil catch can (which is a great piece), change out the fittings to brass. This is what I will be doing as soon as I can... Basically I just wrapped the crap out of it with electrical tape, and put some silicone on the broken pieces.

On a side note, the Steeda ones look awesome. Wish I had the dough to switch over to Steeda units.

UPDATE: Jay from JLT will be sending me 2 Aluminum fittings to repair this issue.

Image added...

jlts.jpg

By sikryd at 2012-03-19

Last edited:

PLATIADO

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me, I contacted them and they sent me new metal fittings. Contact them and they will take cate of you.

sikryd

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me, I contacted them and they sent me new metal fittings. Contact them and they will take cate of you.

Awesome! I will give them a call, thanks. last time they sent me the same plastic fittings, guess they now see the flaw in that design.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
Ditto. Mine broke almost out of the box. Jay sent me new plastic ones but they are still in the bag. I went to the local hardware store and got some brass ones. There is an inherent problem with these plastic fittings that need to be addressed.

Sikryd nice photo. At least you didn't use duct tape :lol1:

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I drove my GT500 to Florida the end of last summer down I-95. I live at around 1500 feet above sea level. When I got down to the coast I noticed my vacuum was running about 10 inches Hg instead of 20 inches. I thought it could be at sea level. I looked and did not see any vacuum lines loose. When I got back home it was still running 10 inches. I looked and looked until my eye caught one of the lines to the catch can broke half off. I took the can off the car and grab the can to screw out the broken fitting when the other side broke off like it ws nothing. I barely touched it. I bought brass fittings and painted them black. It dosesn't look too bad but they are big. I am going to mount my cans on the fenders and make my own lines.

sikryd

Established Member
I drove my GT500 to Florida the end of last summer down I-95. I live at around 1500 feet above sea level. When I got down to the coast I noticed my vacuum was running about 10 inches Hg instead of 20 inches. I thought it could be at sea level. I looked and did not see any vacuum lines loose. When I got back home it was still running 10 inches. I looked and looked until my eye caught one of the lines to the catch can broke half off. I took the can off the car and grab the can to screw out the broken fitting when the other side broke off like it ws nothing. I barely touched it. I bought brass fittings and painted them black. It dosesn't look too bad but they are big. I am going to mount my cans on the fenders and make my own lines.

Had the same issue this morning with gauge showing around 15 inches of vacuum, where it would normally show around 20 inches (I'm at sea level). This is what made me look around under my hood. I don't know how long I was sucking in un-metered air, but glad that I didn't lean out the A/F and hurt something. This comes at a bad time for me, because my second vehicle (f150 with 4.6L) is down with a blown head gasket. No water in oil, but I could steam my clothes with the steam from the tail pipe.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I had to throw on the stock line. JLT sent me new fittings that I have yet to install. Have not looked to see if they are metal or not. Might be picking up brass fittings as well.

mullens

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I had to throw on the stock line. JLT sent me new fittings that I have yet to install. Have not looked to see if they are metal or not. Might be picking up brass fittings as well.
Don't take a chance on that little $5 item putting you out of service. Install the brass ones.

bull3441

Established Member
thanks for posting. this is how everyone found out about the Afco harness, sharing info. the Bob's catch can would prob work better.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Hmm this happen to me as well, and I went out and was looking for a brass fitting. I guess I need to call JLT instead.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I just purchased one JLT them a couple weeks ago and it has the new aluminum fittings

I just received mine from Van (which I believe shipped direct from JLT) and it has black metal fittings...I assume Aluminum.

sikryd

Established Member
CRAP! DOUBLE CRAP! The quick fix I did this morning didn't hold. I'm in a Lowes parking lot, bought a bunch of stuff to mickey mouse back together. The fix from Lowes is now too long, and I would have to trim the tubes by a few inches. When new fittings came in, tubes would no longer work. So... my GF is on her way with the stock piece. About an hour or so away with traffic.... FML!

Stock part is now on car waiting for fittings.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I must be fortunte. Will address when the car comes back out of storage. When I'm home i'm only about 40 mins from Jay so gives me a chance to stretch the car out.

Tucker

Guys,
When we came out with the separators 2 years ago we researched the fittings in depth. We didn't want ugly brass, so we found black plastic fittings that were up to the temp ratings and use with oil, but still some have failed.

As soon as we realized it was an issue we has custom aluminum fittings milled to our specs and started including them since Aug 2011.

We apologize for the issue, but stand behind our product 100%.
If you have this happen, contact me direct and I will take care of it ASAP. [email protected]

Send me a pic of the broken fitting along with your name and address and it's done.

Again, sorry for the issue.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread