JLT Ram air noise.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hey guys, I have a 01 Bullitt with a JLT ram air on it. Lately it has been making a howling noise like you wouldn't believe. Everyone keeps staring at me at lights and you can hear it clear as day inside the car, its getting annoying. It's done it since I put it on a year ago but it was like once a month and for a few seconds, now its almost everytime I drive it for a few minutes or untill I open the throttle more than 1/4 way. It to me sounds like air turbulence but why now:shrug:Everything is tight and nothing is broken. Seems to have gotten way worse since I had it tuned and came home from Myrtle beach. Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to buy a new intake. Thanks guys.

4valvemach

Established Member
Does it stop howling when you unplug the MAF sensor?

I have the JLT intake on my Mach and did the same thing sometimes I played around unplugging and plugging the MAF sensor.In the end I cleaned the throttle body(valvoline intake cleaner) and MAF sensor (CRC MAF cleaner) after that it stopped and never came back.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
More than likely the intake itself isn't making the noise, but the sound from it's "mysterious" source is.....and is resonating out or around the area of the intake. Can you get a buddy to listen under the hood while you rev the car? Or is only under LOAD while driving it makes the noise?

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's inside the intake itself. It does it at idle so I just got out and listened to it. You can feel the intake resonating it vibrates and it's not normal engine vibration. Anything past 1/2 throttle makes it go away probably due to it releasing all the air into the engine at that point. Ill try and clean the Maf like 4 valve said. Ill clean the filter and throttle body as well.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Unplugged the MAF while it was making the noise. No difference. Ill take the filter with me to work and clean it and let it dry then re oil. Ill clean the throttle body the next time I drive it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread