Job Waiver? Is this legal.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Today when I left for work there is a new waiver that we have to sign. The waiver is about dating people and hanging out with people from work outside of work. It states that we are no longer allowed to dateor hangoutsocially with other people. Couldn't believe it when I seen it? Can a company make us sign something like this? Been going out with a girl from work for about 2 months now? Figured it would be against the rules for managers to go out with workers underneath them but just can't see how they can just tell people what to do on there own time? Been 5 years with this company and started when it was a small family company. Now it's a 60 million plus a year company and turning into this heartless corporation.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think it depends on the size of the company. Here at my company there are many married couples working - but they are in different departments. The only policy we have is you can't work over/under or in the same group as somebody your involved with.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Before signing it I would ask HR if there is a grandfather clause for people who were dating prior to the issuance of the waiver. It sounds quite silly. I understand not dating a subordinate or someone who reports to you, but not a coworker. I would love to know what their reasoning is.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Well, I wouldnt be dipping my pen into the company ink anyway....
:) Yeah done it twice now. The first time sucked bad having to see her everyday shoulda learned my lesson but this one who knows what'll happen. I Work third so never see her anyways except on weekends and what not plus was friends for a year.

No one would ever know anyways so not too worried about it but just can't figure out every stinking waiver we have to sign anymore. Can understand some of the liability stuff and what not, but when the job starts trying to dicate personnel life just seems wrong as hell to me. Especially since i'm a grunt and nota manger or anything.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Go run it by a lawyer or two .. most lawyers will give you a half hour or so consult before they start charging .. you might want to also send it in to the local paper that will get some attention. I agree with other that this sux big blue donkey balls. They CAN dictate your behavior to a certain extent but this sounds like it went a bit beyond what is legal. Certainly it goes beyond anything I have ever seen in 40 years in the workforce.

Don't expect the fact that your dating a co-worker to remain a secret for long. this kind of thing gets around rather quickly when the two of you have a spat and both come in grouchy, or late, or whatever on the same days ... and office gossip is the surest way to get caught ... everyone has a best friend who "won't tell".

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Ripper said:
Today when I left for work there is a new waiver that we have to sign. The waiver is about dating people and hanging out with people from work outside of work. It states that we are no longer allowed to dateor hangoutsocially with other people. Couldn't believe it when I seen it? Can a company make us sign something like this? Been going out with a girl from work for about 2 months now? Figured it would be against the rules for managers to go out with workers underneath them but just can't see how they can just tell people what to do on there own time? Been 5 years with this company and started when it was a small family company. Now it's a 60 million plus a year company and turning into this heartless corporation.

we have it here as well. it is to protect the company from sexual lawsuits. i could tell ya some horror stories.....

our dealership was a little one back in the day, now the automall employs over 1000 people.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Before signing it I would ask HR if there is a grandfather clause for people who were dating prior to the issuance of the waiver. It sounds quite silly. I understand not dating a subordinate or someone who reports to you, but not a coworker. I would love to know what their reasoning is.

protects the emp from sexual lawsuits. atleast that is what i was told.

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
Leykis 101 - don't date coworkers :read:

Thank goodness there are no waivers where I'm at. :pepper: LOL I would have been gone long time ago. :rockon:

And yes, with that waiver they will fire you. Where's that piece of @$$ going to be when your unemployed and can’t pay rent? :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread