Joined Marines..need PT advice.

boduke0220

Established Member
Hey guys, i finally decided that it was time i grow a pair ( wanted to since i was a kid) and Join the Marines. Went down to MEPS last tuesday and wednesday and everything is good. Its time to get in shape though. ive been working out for about a month and on and off during highschool. heres my current routine and i'd like some input on it.

Goal is
20 pull ups
20 minute 3 mile
100 sit ups in 2 minutes

Workout 1. (tues&thurs)

5 rounds of
100 jumping Jacks
100 Mountain climbers

Run 1.5 Miles
rest
Run another 1 Mile
Stadiums (18 steps) x15

Knee2elbow abs 5,10,15,20,15,10,5
Situps..go untill i get 200
Leg raises 25,20,15,10,10,5
Pull up max set untill 50 are acieved

Workout 2 ( Monday & Friday)

Curl 21's x 5
Curl 3x6

5 rounds of
10 pull ups
15 push ups
20 situps
25 body weight squats

Push up Untill Failure

Same ab workout as Workout 1

Workout 3 (Wednesday)

Row 100m x 6
Row 200m x 2
Pull down machine ( idk what its call..similiar to lat pull downs) 3x6
Pull towards Machine ( similiar to row machine minus the leg part) 3x6
Lat Pull down 5x7
Reverse grip pull down 3x5
Run 1.5 Miles
Do ab workout in Workouts 1 & 2

*Playing with Push ups*
Run 100m
20 pushups
5 burpees
15 clap pushups
5 burpees
10 chestslap
pushups
5 burpees
5 fingertip pushups
Run 100m
15 pushups
5 burpees
10 clap pushups
5 burpees
10 chestslap
pushups
5 burpees
5 fingertip pushups
Run 100m
10 pushups
5 burpees
10 clap pushups
5 burpees
10 chestslap
pushups
5 burpees
5 fingertip pushups

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The other thing you need to take into consideration is your ht and wt. Look up your max wt for your ht. If you are over the first thing you need to do is get under. Don't forget a PROPER DIET plays a critical role. Starving yourself is NOT a proper diet.

IMO (and I've only been doing this for 21 years) but when I get back from deployment and I'm trying to get back into shape the first thing I do is not over do it. (this only applies if you are UNDER your max wt) I start off with a slow 3 mile jog. Don't break it into segments. IOW's don't run for just a mile and stop- if you need to walk or slow way down for short distances fine- just make sure you do the whole 3 miles. I'd do this 3 times a week. MWF... on Teus/Thurs if you want to get froggy go to your gym if you have one and do the stair stepper for 30-45 minutes- make sure you don't stay at the same pace or difficulty level the whole time- I'd save this for week 2 or 3 if I were you though to do this. This is a PROCESS- there is no instant gratification. By the end of the second week you can start pushing your runs out to 4 or 5 miles. So that's cardio.... (if you don't know how to swim I'd HIGHLY recommend getting some quality time in the pool) Also- week 3 you should throw in some interval runs and hill runs. You need to do sprints between jogs of at least 75-100 yards. This will increase your lung capacity and your aerobic ability.

Now for your other 2 portions. The best way to get better at pullups is to do pullups. Pushups are important too but you aren't technically tested on them- but this routine will guarantee results. First things first. Baby steps are important. You have plenty of time here. If you do this 5 days a week I PROMISE you'll be doing 20+ pullups without breaking a sweat on your PFT. (also remember there is no such thing as extra credit in the test. So doing 25 pullups and 120 crunches will do nothing but make you tired.) Anyhow you can do this in any order. I usually start with crunches.

Crunches:
-start with 20
- do 20 regular, 20 to the left, 20 to the right
- then do 20 leglifts, 20 "hello-dollies", and 20 flutter kicks,
- then finish with 20 toe touchers. - lie on your back with your feet up so you are in an "L" position- now touch your toes.
Increase the qty by 5-10 each week.
- if you really want to do some core training start doing planks for 30-45 seconds each day and increase by 10 seconds each week.

Pullups/pushups: week one
start off with 3 pullups followed by 10 pushups.
- increase by one pullup 4 times- so 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- then you decrease by one til you get back down to 3.
- you will do 10 pushups after each round of pullups
- The do a MAX set of pullups and a max set of diamond pushups.
- increase weekly by 1 for pullups and 5 for pushups.

This routine along with a proper diet will GUARANTEE a 300 PFT and you'll be able to handle just about anything the DI's throw at you. By the end you should be able to run 6-7 miles without stopping and your run time should be sub 18. You should be able to do 24-26 DEAD HANG pullups and 100 crunches will take you less than 90 seconds. Technique is important- that's why I'm starting you off slow. They won't count if you don't do them correctly. And you'll be doing 60-70 pushups at a time. You have to stay committed- remember at the end of 6 weeks this will be your baseline. That is your starting point. From there once you get to the fleet you can increase any of these numbers or throw other wrinkles into your routine.

GL man.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mach1USMC hit it dead on.

But out of curiosity what is your current height and weight? How well could you do on a PFT right now? Knowing your current state might help us give you some pointers in the right direction.

In the end it wont matter b/c basic is a mental game, and I seen plenty of guys in terrible shape make it through as long as they pushed themselves. Getting the perfect PFT will come after you've hit the fleet and can nail down your routine.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If you're an 03 I suggest start hiking with a pack. Boot camp is nothing and depending on what company you pick up with in SOI it could be hell on the hikes there. I was in Charlie company west and it was one of the worst experiences of my life, but mainly because I wasn't prepared for the hikes.

boduke0220

Established Member
Thanks a ton Mach1USMC, i have no problem push myself and love being soaked in sweat so the more intense the workout the better. as for my height and weight im about 5'9 and 150 lbs. i can do about 1.5 miles in 14 minutes and 14-15 dead hang pullups. and id say a solid 60 crunches.
I will being going to good ole Parris Island

heres a quick picture.
melol.jpg

Last

Established Member
your weight is good, work on that run though. congratulations, what MOS are you going out for?

boduke0220

Established Member
Got me down for October 17, but Probably September 6th with another guy i know that graduates highschool this year. Luckily i have 15 college credits so i get PFC right out of the box!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Got me down for October 17, but Probably September 6th with another guy i know that graduates highschool this year. Luckily i have 15 college credits so i get PFC right out of the box!

Congrats- what MOS/Occfield are you going for?

Your ht/wt def isn't an issue. You also have plenty of time to work on your PT. The program I laid out works every time. I've done it for myself and I've done it as a Plt Sgt. It works... the good thing is it doesn't take a long time to do. Maybe 45-75 min a day. Since you have so much time hit the pool. I'd see if you can get some simulated swimquals in. If you can get WSQ in Boot Camp that will carry you all the way through your first term. You won't have to qual again unless your MOS requires it. Boot camp is indeed mostly mental- the stronger you are physically the better you'll be able to focus mentally. If you can knock out the fitness side of it and stay motivated and focused you can come out a LCpl. That would be HUGE. Honor grad opens a lot of doors for you. You have the time to prepare- you may as well knock it out of the park!!

Start working on your "knowledge"... ie your general orders, weapons specs, leadership traits, etc.... it can all be found online. If you need help getting pointed in the right direction let us know.

GL man:beer:

boduke0220

Established Member
Going Into the 03xx field, so i want to be in the best shape i can because ive heard about SOI.

so something like

MWF- Run 3 Miles

Pullups, 3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3 With 10 pushups in between?

Do the ab work you described, can i do more?

Tues/Thurs.
Stair Stepper Machine for 30-40 mins
Stadiums x 15
sprint work 4x200m
abs workout

can i do more that jsut what you described? like maybe ad on some stadium, paratroopers/burpees, sprint work, curls etc?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You're in a great spot to start working out. I went into boot at 5'8" and about 125lbs and did fine(I did get down to 117lbs though). The runs were my worst part so definitely run run run!

trickflow coupe

Established Member
the 11s always go to the field in SOI and just lead a miserable life being the wpns field is just better we do all the same stuff riflemen do plus more like me i am an 0331(machine gunner) i do all the stuff that 11s do like CQB/MOUT plus i get to play with the 240,MK 19, and the .50 cal

ill break it down so you get an idea of what every 03 MOS dose in the field

0311 rifleman -run around like idiots until you cant move and hate your life due the fact that everyone else thinks your an idiot for being an 11

0313 LAV crewman - ride places and make fun of the 11s then get out and run around like an idiot

0317 scout/sniper - hike really really far with lots of weight and shoot sniper rifles(really cool/fun)

0321 recon/SF - they do all sorts of cool shit they are the Marines Special Forces(SF)

0331 machine gunner - we play with bigs guns and shoot tons of shit and we carry really heavy shit for a long time

0341 motorman - you sit on your ass and play spades

0351 assaultman - you blow shit up with C4 and rocket launchers(but you will never see E-4)

0352 towgunner - you ride around in a truck and shoot tow missiles and javelins(sounds cool but isnt really and you pick up E-4 very easy)

i hope this helps you get an idea of what you want to do:beer:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Here's a word of advice from me: don't listen to anyone from weapons when they say they do EVERYTHING 11s do plus some. Yes, they know our job of course but they do not know it to the extent we do. It's annoying when they act like they all do. 11s get satisfaction in knowing they dont have it easy and sleep in the field almost every night and never eat in the chow hall. But thats just SOI, 2 months of your military career. Don't let that determine your job in the military. Do whats going to keep you interested because it can get pretty boring here sometimes. From the looks of it though you'll be fine.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Not a Marine, but an aspiring one if that makes sense. Im trying to get my weight down and research as much as possible before taking the leap.

Check out futurejarheads.org its a great website about learning anything and everything you would want to know about. It seems like you have time before bootcamp so I'd suggest taking some college courses, and if you have a semester after high school and boot camp take the 15 credits.

Good luck man

trickflow coupe

Established Member
Here's a word of advice from me: don't listen to anyone from weapons when they say they do EVERYTHING 11s do plus some. Yes, they know our job of course but they do not know it to the extent we do. It's annoying when they act like they all do. 11s get satisfaction in knowing they dont have it easy and sleep in the field almost every night and never eat in the chow hall. But thats just SOI, 2 months of your military career. Don't let that determine your job in the military. Do whats going to keep you interested because it can get pretty boring here sometimes. From the looks of it though you'll be fine.

iv done everything an 11 has done like being a fire team leader on my last deployment along with being a machine gun squad leader and team leader and that was true for most of my platoon so yes we can do your job plus more and did you enjoy being an 11 boot? i saw them getting hazed every day us weapons guys didnt have it as bad

Users who are viewing this thread