Joined Marines..need PT advice.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Doesnt bother me one Bit, i just hope i dont have to go to SOI west. My buddy is on a recon contract and SOI west was the only one picking up this month so he has to go all the way out there. id love to go to geiger & lejune

As an 03xx, there's a 99.999% chance you'll go to Geiger. But after that, it's a crapshoot whether you go to Lejeune, Pendleton or Hawaii.

boduke0220

Established Member
As an 03xx, there's a 99.999% chance you'll go to Geiger. But after that, it's a crapshoot whether you go to Lejeune, Pendleton or Hawaii.

Lejune or hawaii and i'll be good haha. what are the odds of me going to afghanistan, assuming i make it through bootcamp & SOI.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Lejune or hawaii and i'll be good haha. what are the odds of me going to afghanistan, assuming i make it through bootcamp & SOI.

Oh trust me, you'll make it through. They'll make sure of it. Unfortunately, we've all seen guys make it off the island and into the fleet that have no business being there. But I doubt you'll have that issue.

As far as Afghanistan goes, who knows. Things change on an hourly basis here. My "med float" next spring just turned into another Afghan pump this fall. And who know's if it'll change again before then. But with the way the world is going (Afghanistan, Lebanon, North Korea, Iran, etc.) there is a very good chance that you'll end up in a combat zone somewhere.

boduke0220

Established Member
ummm about 10000000000% it may not be your 1st deployment, it might be your 2nd one but you will get sent over there but its only for 7 months at a time

Cool should be interesting! I saw battle LA today so as long as i dont have to go up against aliens i think i'll survive.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
Just took my Official IST

Pull ups - 11 ( got 20 but ssgt didnt think i locked out which i didnt fully but it was close)

Crunches- 103 without even cheating lol

1.5 Mile- 11:37, i really want atleast a 10 flat before bootcamp.

just figured id update you guys, thanks for the help!

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
keep up the good work man, just make sure you have absolute perfect form when doing pullups. The run will get better as long as you keep doing it. Don't forget to throw in a longer distance here and there.

Volf

Established Member
I would say you're in good enough shape to begin with. Stick with what you're doing and just do shit loads of pull ups and you're good to go.

I would spend a decent amount of time climbing hills/mountains with about 60lbs on your back though just to get used to it.

Also look up the combat fitness test and start doing the drills just to get used to it.

Boot is easy. You get your ass kicked when you hit the fleet

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
October 17, but hopefully September 6th so i can go with 2 other guys i know.

i think i will start doing a 3 miler on wednesdays and 1.5 mon & tues, thurs & fri. and keep going hard at the pullup, ima show that ssgt 20 aint shit! haha

Last edited:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Some guy a few posts up recommeded to do a ruck up some hills. I'd do that a few times. You don't need to be running everyday from what I hear from people that are in the Marines. Its good to get your time down but don't forget to practice on things such as ruck marches(don't go crazy with it) and other workouts.

You should also check out this website, its has tons of info about being in the Marines and the Marine Corps lifestyle in general.

Futurejarheads.org
I'd read everything on that site at least twice before going to boot.

semperfimrn1

Established Member
October 17, but hopefully September 6th so i can go with 2 other guys i know.

i think i will start doing a 3 miler on wednesdays and 1.5 mon & tues, thurs & fri. and keep going hard at the pullup, ima show that ssgt 20 aint shit! haha

awesome. i ship august 22

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^kinda jumped the gun with that name there eh?
reminds me of a recruit that had usmc tats in boot camp...
L OH ****EN L

03cobrah

Established Member
you absolutely need to practice doing a perfect pullup when you train for your pft/ist it will help you.. i make my marines do them perfectly i even call them nazi pullups cause i make them going completely down. come pft they perform better

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
good stuff man, keeps us updated through the whole process. I am very interested in hearing your stories/experiences since I may sign up in a few months pending college graduation and other job opportunity that might show up. I have a friend about to graduate MOS school and hes has mixed emotions about the USMC.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
you absolutely need to practice doing a perfect pullup when you train for your pft/ist it will help you.. i make my marines do them perfectly i even call them nazi pullups cause i make them going completely down. come pft they perform better

Good stuff:beer:.... and the way it should be IMO. the thing is unless you are deployed in an eff'd up area there is no excuse NOT to be able to work on pull ups. And like you said- if you practice the "perfect" pull up you will be gtg come pft time.

boduke0220

Established Member
So ive got a question. Last sunday i passed out in church ( talk about embarrassing) and went to the ER. said i had a horrible sinus infection, and when i told them i ran 3-4 miles 3 times a week they about killed me. gave me some 500mg antibiotics and sent me on my way.

My question. what do they do when your sick in the Marines? i havent been able to do crap all week, would i have to suck it up or what?

jliddle

Established Member
So ive got a question. Last sunday i passed out in church ( talk about embarrassing) and went to the ER. said i had a horrible sinus infection, and when i told them i ran 3-4 miles 3 times a week they about killed me. gave me some 500mg antibiotics and sent me on my way.

My question. what do they do when your sick in the Marines? i havent been able to do crap all week, would i have to suck it up or what?

Depends on the severity of it I'm guessing. You probably won't get much sympathy for a non serious sickness.

Otherwise they'll probably send you to the navy docs

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

When you get sick in the Marines they do something similiar.

They give you 500mg motrin, tell you to hydrate, and send you on your way. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread