Judge approves class action lawsuit against Ford Mustang

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Whoever purchased a technology package car and assumed it would run on the track just because, should have their head examined haha

Sent from my Potato

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well ford did drop the ball for the 2016 selling non track pack Gt350s and advertising them as track ready. At least in 2017 they made all GT350 track pack cars.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well ford did drop the ball for the 2016 and 2017 selling non track pack Gt350s and advertising them as track ready. At least in 2018 they made all GT350 track pack cars.
In 2016 and 2017, all advertisements that stated "most track capable Mustang yet" had photos of the track pack car.

Sent from my Potato

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I dunno how to feel about this.

Part of me thinks that buyers should of known that buying the 350 with the additional coolers, with the idea that they would run it at the track is obvious. There's clearly a large amount of buyers who buy high HP cars just to say they own it. There's also a good amount who buy it to use it to it's potential/get their moneys worth.

But at the same time the 350 was listed as a curve eating Mustang with a 5.2L that had to be revved out to get the full experience of the flat crank engine. Can't really experience that if 4 minutes into winding out the engine the car goes limp mode. If I was looking to buy a mustang in 16/17 I would of liked to have navigation/tech features and coolers. Kind of silly to me Ford didn't offer that early on in the non R packages.

Whatever the outcome is, on the surface at least it was a bad look for Ford.

IIRC the cost to add the coolers wasn't cheap, right?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I dunno how to feel about this.

Part of me thinks that buyers should of known that buying the 350 with the additional coolers, with the idea that they would run it at the track is obvious. There's clearly a large amount of buyers who buy high HP cars just to say they own it. There's also a good amount who buy it to use it to it's potential/get their moneys worth.

But at the same time the 350 was listed as a curve eating Mustang with a 5.2L that had to be revved out to get the full experience of the flat crank engine. Can't really experience that if 4 minutes into winding out the engine the car goes limp mode. If I was looking to buy a mustang in 16/17 I would of liked to have navigation/tech features and coolers. Kind of silly to me Ford didn't offer that early on in the non R packages.

Whatever the outcome is, on the surface at least it was a bad look for Ford.

IIRC the cost to add the coolers wasn't cheap, right?

It was much cheaper to add the touchscreen, than the coolers. I know people who did both.

@Tob can chime in.

In the end, Ford made a track version to track, and a tech version to enjoy on the street. If you were going to track a car and they made your car with and without coolers, which would you purchase? No-brainer. Ford will lose this lawsuit because they're a big-bad manufacturer, and the judge will undoubtedly drive a Tesla.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It was much cheaper to add the touchscreen, than the coolers. I know people who did both.

In the end, Ford made a track version to track, and a tech version to enjoy on the street. If you were going to track a car and they made your car with and without coolers, which would you purchase? No-brainer. Ford will lose this lawsuit because they're a big-bad manufacturer, and the judge will undoubtedly drive a Tesla.

Ford was pretty clear in the owner's manual about which version of the GT350 (if not the GT350R) was intended to be tracked. Problem was, many didn't have an owner's manual at the time they ordered.

Capturetr.JPG

The above wasn't usually available before ownership (aside from finding it online) but this was and Ford made it pretty clear which package is for what.

2016_Shelby_GT350_Spec_Sheet.jpg

It was broken down elsewhere as well...

Captureyt.JPG

Capturehg.JPG

The above images are all from the 2016 Model Year.

I wanted navigation but you couldn't get it (or the barcalounger seats) with the Track Pack. So I had to make a choice, luxury or performance. I chose performance (meaning coolers) as I knew it would be easier to add nav later (which I did) than to integrate the coolers/software programming if the Tech Pack was chosen. So of course you then heard Tech owners complain that their dealer never told them that their "Track ready" GT350 didn't have the requisite cooling so they expected it would have come that way or that Ford would "give" them the coolers for free. Should I have been handed the navigation system and heated/cooled seats for free too?

The lawsuit is bullshit but Ford will likely lose, as mentioned.

I also don't know what kind of idiot gets a "tech" pack car to track when a "track pack" car exists with oil coolers...

But... There have been dumber lawsuits..

The problem is that people are inherently stupid and Ford ignored this fact. It was idiotic to sell the GT350 without the transmission and differential coolers simply because people would sue in a court of law due to their ignorance.

I knew it would happen and sure enough it did. Tech Pack owners resorted to the claim that their cars were overheating and going into limp mode on the street.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So this is going back 6 years now. I posted up elsewhere mention of some new third party software (in 2016), called FORScan, that allowed access to certain control modules. Small changes could be made to a given module. One of which was, certain outputs. Ford specifically switched off transmission temperature on Tech Pack cars so that the data was not available on the dash. FORScan allowed it to be turned back on. In my opinion, this was a bad move and showed that Ford knew that the display of elevated temperatures (due to a lack of certain coolers) may not be desirable so they were intentionally blocked.

Again, I believe this all goes back to some terrible packaging. Ford should never have sold a GT350 without trans/diff coolers, regardless of intent on behalf of the owner if for anything because owners would sue due to their stupidity. And that is exactly what happened.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
In 2016 and 2017, all advertisements that stated "most track capable Mustang yet" had photos of the track pack car.

Sent from my Potato

I dont disagree with your statement about people buying a tech only pack and racing. Just that ford should have done what they did in 2017 make all gt350 track packs.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The dealers are mostly to blame. You know that they were screaming at everyone that came through the door that it was a RACE CAR!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The dealers are mostly to blame. You know that they were screaming at everyone that came through the door that it was a RACE CAR!

LOL of course it's the dealer's fault.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
This was a marketing failure at the corporate level. Anything after that is secondary.

Getting an R in '15/'16 was near impossible unless you were willing to fork over an insane amount of ADM or got extremely lucky. So the masses were left with the regular GT350 to choose from. I recall a large number of dealers ordering the Tech Package for their showroom. I knew I'd be disappointed with the 4" screen and "entertainment" system on the Track Package and I was. I'd have rather just gotten the damn delete but Ford marketing struck again and product planners decided that would only be available on the R model.

It was very frustrating and as an enthusiast it really pissed me off that such a well engineered car got screwed up by the people that had nothing to do with the engineering aspect. I feel like the GT500 "Golden Ticket" was a continuation of that idiocy but what can you do other than complain, or buy the Base car and do it your way.:)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This was a marketing failure at the corporate level. Anything after that is secondary.

Getting an R in '15/'16 was near impossible unless you were willing to fork over an insane amount of ADM or got extremely lucky. So the masses were left with the regular GT350 to choose from. I recall a large number of dealers ordering the Tech Package for their showroom. I knew I'd be disappointed with the 4" screen and "entertainment" system on the Track Package and I was. I'd have rather just gotten the damn delete but Ford marketing struck again and product planners decided that would only be available on the R model.

It was very frustrating and as an enthusiast it really pissed me off that such a well engineered car got screwed up by the people that had nothing to do with the engineering aspect. I feel like the GT500 "Golden Ticket" was a continuation of that idiocy but what can you do other than complain, or buy the Base car and do it your way.:)

Yours looks better than a CFTP now anyways!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Im assuming you haven't taken the time to go over the important details on that one, it was too hot and McD's got what they deserved

Bingo that coffee was 190 degrees and resulted in 3rd degree burns. The woman in that case was elderly, like late 70s...McDonald's deserved to take it up the ass on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread