Just As I Expected: C&D GT350 vs C7Z51

BlownAway03

Established Member
There has been some claims that the GT350 could run neck and neck with a Corvette Z51. I never thought this was true and now Car and Driver has confirmed it for me. I snagged a snippet of the article. The track was Willow Springs. The Shelby did better than I expected but was still over a second slower around the track. This was a track pack 350 also. I think the writer still gives the 350 the win overall in the comparison for driver thrill and engagement but this all Bs sentiment IMO. Faster is faster. I'm no 350 hater, just trying to throw some facts out there. I was actually in the market for msrp. It's a deal at that price, but not at the adm prices many of you clowns have driven it up to.

image_zpsd2zouot7.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
a 70K corvette is faster than a 56K Mustang that is in a different segment of car. sounds about right.

BlownAway03

Established Member
a 70K corvette is faster than a 56K Mustang that is in a different segment of car. sounds about right.

You can pick up a Z51 for way less than $70k. This car was a 3LT. A 1LT Z51 is not far off the 350 msrp, which you can't buy one at anyways. And what's this different segment crap? FORD is the one that claimed this car would run door to door with Z51's and Porsche Carrera S's. I'd say they consider it in the same segment. That excuse is played out. These aren't S197's anymore.

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
Who was driving?
The braking seems way off for the GT350 too. It's 100ft 60-0 and 70ft longer for 70-0?

There's a reason for that from what I read on another forum. I think it's mentioned in the full article. They glazed the pads or something during that part of the testing.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member

I think the Mustang has (and will likely always) been burdened by the fact its backbone or platform is one for a vehicle that has a starting price of $20K. In order to keep the car affordable, more fancy materials and technologies are omitted, in particular stuff that would help lower the weight of the car. IMO, the 'Vette has usually been more "optimized" as a platform for performance than the Mustang has ever been.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
And they werent glazed during part or all of the track test?

Who was driver?

Ditto.

I like that 119mph trap speed.

Mt got 154ft 70*-0ft, 60-0 was ~100ft, ~95 for the R.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
So Ford said the non-R GT350 was as fast as a Z51 around the track, but it's not. No wonder they've been tight lipped about performance numbers in the S550 era. Even their vague comments in comparison to other cars don't pan out.

The GT350 is a value at MSRP or less. Anymore and the Vette is a better deal. Currently a new 16 1LT Z51 can be had for $56k on Cars.com.

Voltwings

Established Member
So Ford said the non-R GT350 was as fast as a Z51 around the track, but it's not. No wonder they've been tight lipped about performance numbers in the S550 era. Even their vague comments in comparison to other cars don't pan out.

The GT350 is a value at MSRP or less. Anymore and the Vette is a better deal. Currently a new 16 1LT Z51 can be had for $56k on Cars.com.

We're still comparing a Mustang and a Corvette here, lets not forget that. As good as the 350 is, its still not a low, light, 2 seater, with much better suspension set up from the factory. There is a ~300 lb difference to be considered, and despite the incredible set up on the 350, the vette's suspension geometry from the factory is just plain superior - if you've never had a chance to inspect a c7 i highly recommend checking one out - and it was still only able to put 1.2 seconds on the mustang. Yes, that is a loss, but that's a loss at 10/10ths by a professional driver.

That 1.2 seconds is well within the range of being a driver's race at any ordinary track day. I have hurt feelings of M3s, C6 corvettes, and mustangs in my basically stock mazdaspeed3 ... i have also had my feelings hurt by freakin miatas and integras when i was in my mustang. I stand by my statement that in the hands of two moderate drivers (basically people who are capable, but not professional) that this is a driver's race.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Just As I Expected: C&D GT350 vs C7Z51

They said they were door to door at Grattan. That doesn't translate to every single track because every track will play to different strengths.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I think the Mustang has (and will likely always) been burdened by the fact its backbone or platform is one for a vehicle that has a starting price of $20K. In order to keep the car affordable, more fancy materials and technologies are omitted, in particular stuff that would help lower the weight of the car. IMO, the 'Vette has usually been more "optimized" as a platform for performance than the Mustang has ever been.

1LT Z51 starts at $61,395 I think. That's very bit as affordable as the Shelby. I think we need to stop making excuses for the Mustang, especially when it's pricing is knocking on Corvette's, and heavily exceeding it in the real market. Plus, Ford has made all these claims of what it can run with. Ford needs to release a no excuses car as Chevy has done with the new Camaro and Corvette. They improved the weight of the Camaro while Ford simply lied about the weight of the S550 platform. I know this is only one test, and maybe the 350 will have better showings as time goes on, so I'm not gonna pile it on, and it still did respectable.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Article sucks. It has already been proven that the base 350 is faster than the c6z06...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Go drive them both back to back, and trade in your 2014 gt500 on the one you'd want to own for 2-3 years. You'll end up with a blue oval, not a bow tie.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
You can't blame ford for dealer mark ups, I would guess when the C7 came out it had them too. The biggest advantage the vet has is that the transmission sits on top of the rear wheels.

bpmurr

Established Member
Go drive them both back to back, and trade in your 2014 gt500 on the one you'd want to own for 2-3 years. You'll end up with a blue oval, not a bow tie.

I no longer own my GT500. Hence why it's under former rides...

Users who are viewing this thread