Just got a 2013 GT talk to me about mods fella's!

13'5.0

Established Member
Just picked up a 13' 5.0. My first mustang since a 1988 fox body. The car has a airad cold air, roush catback, and short throw shifter. Appears to be stock other than that. Runs strong but more is always better right : ) So what next? I don't have a supercharger budget but maybe a tune next ??

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Just picked up a 13' 5.0. My first mustang since a 1988 fox body. The car has a airad cold air and a roush catback. Appears to be stock other than that. Runs strong but more is always better right : ) So what next? I don't have a supercharger budget but maybe a tune next ??
Your biggest gains will come from either cat delete pipes or long tubes when combined with a tune. After that it's an intake manifold like a ported 18gt manifold, boss manifold, or Cobra Jet.

Keep in mind that once you delete the cats that the Roush axle back will be way too loud. The gt500 mufflers are awesome when combined with free flowing exhaust.

13'5.0

Established Member
Your biggest gains will come from either cat delete pipes or long tubes when combined with a tune. After that it's an intake manifold like a ported 18gt manifold, boss manifold, or Cobra Jet.

Keep in mind that once you delete the cats that the Roush axle back will be way too loud. The gt500 mufflers are awesome when combined with free flowing exhaust.
Ok. Sounds good thanks. With the cat delete and gt500 mufflers, will it be to loud to drive on the freeway?? Who do you reccomend for the tune? Need to edit my post, the car also has a mgw shifter.

Reaper14

Established Member
Lund, AED, PBD, Sai Li would be top options for tune paired with an ngauge imo. Cheap boost kit like On3 is always great to start with.

Vic

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Start with a tune to go with your aftermarket intake and exhaust. You said it runs strong as it is, so a good tune should impress you and keep you happy until you can afford stronger mods. Enjoy your GT.

13'5.0

Established Member
Sounds great guys. I'm super excited. This thing has power in every gear and shifts so smooth.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I’ll take a different avenue, get the thing lowered and don’t forget a adjustable panhard bar ;)

13'5.0

Established Member
He guys posted this in the wheel/tire forum but haven't had any luck. I'm about to pull the trigger on some 2019 Ford Mustang 19" Performance Package 1 Wheels. Rims are 19" x 9" front and 19" x 9.5" rear. The sellers ad states they fit 2018+ Ford Mustangs with Brembo Brakes. Are these gonna bolt up to my 2013 GT?

CobraG

Established Member
Just picked up a 13' 5.0. My first mustang since a 1988 fox body. The car has a airad cold air, roush catback, and short throw shifter. Appears to be stock other than that. Runs strong but more is always better right : ) So what next? I don't have a supercharger budget but maybe a tune next ??
Sweet! Congratulations! What color, how many miles? If you don't already have a hand held, nGauge is nice. I went with Lund, have yet to load the tune, but I've heard he's good.

q6543

Established Member
Offroad X pipe, 47lb injectors and AED E85 tune had me running 11.5s at 121

On slicks and skinnies.

13'5.0

Established Member
Its deep impact blue. 70,000 miles. Got it for $14,800. Feel like I did good there. No E85 in my small town. Otherwise I'd be all over that. I think I'll start with the lund ngauge and kinda go from there. It sounds like the 2018 GT intakes make a pretty big difference on these 13's. What do you guys think about that ?

FJohnny

Established Member
Slight lowering, say Steeda Sport springs and Koni Str.T shocks and struts (2011 version so you can use GT500 top strut mounts) as a starter to get rid of wallowing ride. Lower rear control arms, BMR are pretty affordable and wheel hop is gone. Your car will feel so much better to drive and the lowering looks good as well.

If you go with LT and other exhaust mods combined with intake and tune as suggested so far you will already be well on the way to paying for a S/C kit which comes with a tune and will deliver far more power/$. Maybe consider saving and waiting for a crazy good supercharger sale or an early gen Whipple, VMP selloff.

You know you will need a blower some day. Not putting money into the other fluff makes it happen sooner.

Good luck with the new ride. Fun times ahead.

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
Its deep impact blue. 70,000 miles. Got it for $14,800. Feel like I did good there. No E85 in my small town. Otherwise I'd be all over that. I think I'll start with the lund ngauge and kinda go from there. It sounds like the 2018 GT intakes make a pretty big difference on these 13's. What do you guys think about that ?
I've done some research into the 2018 IM's too. They do seem to be a good bang for the buck. The Cobra Jet (CJ) seems to make more power but costs more too. Also, the Boss while it looks good, is said to not make as much hp as the 2018 IM. From what I've seen it's CJ, 2018 IM, then Boss.
What people always ask though is what are your plans for the car? These IM's do a good job in the high RPM's but don't necessarily deliver much in the lower RPM's.

13'5.0

Established Member
This will be my daily driver. I'd love to supercharge it! $5500-6,000 is a little out of my budget right now. I've got about $1500-2,000 to work with. What kind of HP would a 18 GT intake and tune get me??

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
This will be my daily driver. I'd love to supercharge it! $5500-6,000 is a little out of my budget right now. I've got about $1500-2,000 to work with. What kind of HP would a 18 GT intake and tune get me??

Skip it and do a o/r pipe, drop in dry filter, catback exhaust tips, and a tune. You’ll be right at 400whp. The intake itself, not sure what it’s by itself but with a tune you’re looking at mid/high 20s added. But if s/c is your aim in the end, spend the 2k on suspension And/or supporting mods. It’ll setup nicely for the FI.

4VFTW

Established Member
Catless longtubes, ported '18 manifold, Good tune (E85 if practical) and call it a day until you go boost.

13'5.0

Established Member
Had a chance to get my car up on a rack. It's got an off road x pipe. Im ordering a lund tune with the nguage tomorrow. Hoping that'll be good for 20+hp maybe. It does have a little throttle hesitation. Just kind of a delay from the time you mat it, from the time it takes off.

00Whitey

Established Member
He guys posted this in the wheel/tire forum but haven't had any luck. I'm about to pull the trigger on some 2019 Ford Mustang 19" Performance Package 1 Wheels. Rims are 19" x 9" front and 19" x 9.5" rear. The sellers ad states they fit 2018+ Ford Mustangs with Brembo Brakes. Are these gonna bolt up to my 2013 GT?
Im running the PP wheels on my 14, for the price it was great package. I think I payed like 1300 for new take off's. You cant event buy a good set of tires for that ! But the TPMS are not compatible. They changed the frequency on the new platform.

CobraG

Established Member
Had a chance to get my car up on a rack. It's got an off road x pipe. Im ordering a lund tune with the nguage tomorrow. Hoping that'll be good for 20+hp maybe. It does have a little throttle hesitation. Just kind of a delay from the time you mat it, from the time it takes off.
Sounds like you got the Memorial Day deal. I did that last year, still haven't loaded the tune from Lund, but the nGauge looks cool and is good for checking the codes my car likes to throw.

Users who are viewing this thread