Just got my dyno tune! kinda upset :(

Prostyle

Established Member
Hey guys just wanted to fill you all in.

Just got home from a 5hr trip back from norms garage. I took the car up to tim barth to get a tune.

Car made 448rwhp/47x on 10lbs of boost.( ill get the graph up tomorrow)

BUT there is problems guys!

At around 5.5krpm its dieing out and not making anymore power and it shooting black exhaust smoke from my upper intake.

Tim said it mostly like is lifting the valve springs and causing it to happen? Any of you ever heard of this? Maybe just a bad upper intake gasket?

I just want my car to be right, and only taking my car to 6k rpm isnt fun! I easily could make more power, but it seems like at 5.5k it hits a wall ( big boost leak maybe? )

Any input would be awesome guys.I have no clue what is wrong. I beleive tim is right but i just wanted some opionins

here is a full list of mods.

.30 over teksid block
forged cobra crank had polished stock size bearings
clevite 77 bearings
MMR forged 4340 H beam rods with arp 2000 bolts
DSS forged -12cc pistons
all felpro gaskets
cop conversion with 03 cobra cops and red monster cop harness
new ngk tr6 plugs .025gap
on3 turbo kit with a mpt70
wally255 intake/bosch 044 inline
9.1/1compression

Prostyle

Established Member
Nothing. The plugs were gapped at .035 but we were getting blowout, so we went to .025 and seemed to be fine.

Floating the valve springs sounds like its the problem, but it seems like alot of people are making power on stock springs.

Any1 had problems floating there valve springs?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There is no way that you floating a valve at that rpm with that boost man.. I ran 500rwhp and spun 7.2k rpm with zero valve float..

Quick89

Established Member
Well I was a very long time costumer of Tim and never had any issues and whatever him and Andy said it was, it always turned out to be that. So i would trust his judgement and look into it.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I had a similar problem when I was using after market coil packs. Went back to the ford factory ones and it solved my problem. I know your situation is a little different since your using cop's but perhaps it's a similar problem.

Quick89

Established Member
Mr. Norm is very well known for his Dodges, he sent all of his cars down to Tim in Cartersville, Ga, then gave him a business prop and Tim packed up and moved up there to be his tuner. So that should tell you something.

Prostyle

Established Member
yeah its exactly what tim and andy said. its the valve springs. The only reason im seeing the black exhaust smoke is because i have a leak in my upper intake and its escaping. You have to trust these guys. Its not there first 1

The car does fine until higher rpm. around 5.5-6k is where the smoke comes and it starts dropping.

He did a pull on 19lbs and the car was making around 619 at around 4.8-5k rpm but then the black smoke came ha.

most boost and it floats them earlier

I dropped it down to 6 and it seems to be running just fine. Ill be ordering new springs and retainers soon! this is a task i do not want to do! such a pita

JIMS SVT

Established Member
Im just wondering if you happen to have your coil packs and wires laying around still that you could throw on there and try?

Prostyle

Established Member
I do not man. I wish i did so i could, but its a stock valvetrain in my car so im just going to go ahead and change the springs and add some boost cams ( maybe ) since ill already have them out and hope for a fun car!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Pull the plugs again and check/re-gap them yourself to be sure.

Smoke coming from the upper intake is something I've never heard of happening.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I do not man. I wish i did so i could, but its a stock valvetrain in my car so im just going to go ahead and change the springs and add some boost cams ( maybe ) since ill already have them out and hope for a fun car!
stock cams will make more power than both you and the engine can stand.

What is coming out of the intake and where is it coming out?

he's turboed so the exhaust has back pressure, 15lbs of boost means 15lbs of exhaust back pressure. weak springs ex valves will not close

15lbs of boost means 30psi of exhaust pressure; pressure which pushes against the valve helping to close them.

Prostyle

Established Member
stock cams will make more power than both you and the engine can stand.

What is coming out of the intake and where is it coming out?

15lbs of boost means 30psi of exhaust pressure; pressure which pushes against the valve helping to close them.

yeah the valvetrain is completly stock in the car, and has some miles on it.

Its black smoke. smells like exhaust. Idk what else it could be.

The smoke is coming from the driver side of the upper intake. Like the whole side is letting the exhause smoke escape from it. I rechecked the bolts to make sure they were torqued done correctly and they were. Idk if it was a bad gasket and its letting it escape? or maybe a warped upper intake? i have no clue personally.

Ill get a pic tomorrow and show you guys exactly where its all coming out from.

Last edited:

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Were the heads inspected/refreshed when the motor was done? Ive heard of valve float with big psi numbers, but never at 10-15lbs. Seems odd to me.

Prostyle

Established Member
From what the pervious owner said, yes they were checked and good. I still keep intouch with the guy, and hes a member on here so i have to beleive him since everything else has been true.

Prostyle

Established Member
doulbe post i know haha!

dyno2.jpg

This is the first chart i found so i went ahead and took pics. these were the pulls on 8-9lbs i beleive.

intake-2.jpg

Im not the best artist or speller as i put house instead of hose!, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread