Just ordered 2.9 Whipple!! 1st owner!!

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I have an 03 vert, 20k miles maintained well and clean. The 2.9 whipple arrived at my house Monday and I am getting the car tuned friday. I have 63lb injectors, GTpumps, stage 2 driver, pprv delete kit, LFP heat exchanger and tank, C&L intake, 95mm mass air housing and Diablo Sport Piggy Back, LFP single blade T-Body, off road X, 2.5" cat back, 2 step colder plugs etc etc...I will be using the 3.5" whipple pulley that came on the blower. Whipple talked me into going with the 2.9 over 2.3.(I actually saved money, long story). They told me that with the 3.5" pulley and my stock lower I should be around 18psi. I will be running 93 octane fuel and my tuner will be using the SCT programming as he did on my other cars. I dont post alot, usually just read. I will be back on this forum Friday after my tune. I will let you guys know what happened.

Start a new thread when you come back so yours doesn't get cluttered up in this crazy thread.

Congrats on the whipple and good luck with the tune

POPO30

Established Member
Start a new thread when you come back so yours doesn't get cluttered up in this crazy thread.

Congrats on the whipple and good luck with the tune

I will start a new thread. I will also post videos up of the tune. I finished the install today and am doing the fuel tank shit tomorrow. If anyone decides to order a whipple. Don't expect it to come with new factory replacement gaskets cause it won't. I had to reuse some of my original gaskets and am not thrilled about that. Had I known it wasn't gonna come with new ones I would have planned ahead better. Oh well. The install was fairly easy. Instructions were simple to follow. I will talk to you guys Friday!!! Thanks for the congrats! Heres to frying tire in 4th gear!!!!:beer:

stal94gt

Established Member
my fuel mods are completely stock atm. that will change with the whipple, tuner says i will be fine with just a BaP, i will let you know how it turns out.

i guess ill chime in since i just pegged common bap setup with my whipple 2.9L stock pulleys. i ran stock pumps, bap, wire upgrade, zone 5 stage 2 fpdm and it hit 100% duty cycle at 6500 rpm's. which may be fine for some but im not a fan of running a pump that hard since it does not take much of a voltage drop to have it run out earlier

MalcolmV8

Established Member
i ran stock pumps, bap, wire upgrade, zone 5 stage 2 fpdm and it hit 100% duty cycle at 6500 rpm's. which may be fine for some but im not a fan of running a pump that hard since it does not take much of a voltage drop to have it run out earlier

Yeah I don't think any of us are fine with 100% duty cycle. That's a ticking time bomb. Good call on fixing that.

POPO30

Established Member
A little delayed on the tune due to improper belt sizing. New belt will be here Wednesday. Tune will be Friday.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
A little delayed on the tune due to improper belt sizing. New belt will be here Wednesday. Tune will be Friday.

what size belt are you running and do you have any aftermarket idlers? I have not installed my 2.9 yet, and plan on running the stock 3.5 and then the 3.2" RR for torco tune....

stal94gt

Established Member
i run the stock lower with 3.5 upper with 100mm idler and the rest of my idlers are stock and have a 77.4 inch belt, but honestly it probably fit a little better with a 77 inch belt even though i dont have an belt slip now

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
So to run the 2.9 to about 650 HP your looking at new pumps right? Doesn't sound like BAP is going to hack it. Are you planning on upgrading the pumps? Or would it be cheaper to go budget returnless system style? I'm looking to take the plunge into the 2.9 whipple but not sure what im going to need fuel wise bedsides some 60lb injectors.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
So to run the 2.9 to about 650 HP your looking at new pumps right? Doesn't sound like BAP is going to hack it. Are you planning on upgrading the pumps? Or would it be cheaper to go budget returnless system style? I'm looking to take the plunge into the 2.9 whipple but not sure what im going to need fuel wise bedsides some 60lb injectors.

Go return, go return, GO RETURN.

I can't stress that enough. This blower moves so much air it maxes the BAP on the stock pulley and full exhaust. At the worst, Fore hat/dual GT pumps/dual FPDM. That's what I did and I regret it; I have to switch to a completely different setup for E85 next year...

cobracide

Established Member

I can't stress that enough. This blower moves so much air it maxes the BAP on the stock pulley and full exhaust. At the worst, Fore hat/dual GT pumps/dual FPDM. That's what I did and I regret it; I have to switch to a completely different setup for E85 next year...

So list your mods.

mach1033

Established Member

That's what I have and at 23lbs of boost it's spent. I have the bap in my garage and now I need some 80's.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
So list your mods.

I had a Gen 1 2.3 @ 20psi

JLT carbon fiber intake, Accufab sbtb through JBA midlengths/modded bbk x pipe and magnaflow catback. I was making 623rwhp on 20 psi, 22* timing and torco before I went back to eaton, as I sold the whipple to pay for a busted IRS, courtesy of me being hard-headed.

But with that setup I was @ 92% FPDC on a Mustang dyno. So if my alternator had so much as hiccupped, I would have maxed those pumps.

the 2.9L whipple displaces 25% more air by volume at the same PSI. If I had tried to install the 2.9 with that fuel system, i would have maxed it to kingdom come, even at 19psi instead of 21. A short call to Jon Lund confirmed that for me; he told me straight up, hes NOT tuning the car with stock pumps and a BAP. So I purchased a Fore Hat, Dual GT pumps, and dual FPDM harness. Specific details on the new setup I will post once MMR gets my motor down here and its in the car with the 2.9.

POPO30

Established Member
what size belt are you running and do you have any aftermarket idlers? I have not installed my 2.9 yet, and plan on running the stock 3.5 and then the 3.2" RR for torco tune....

I run a 74 5/8" gates belt. Stock 3.5 upper and all stock lowers. Just had it tuned today!!!!!! Big news boys!!!! Starting a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread